1968 Dart 270 Hardtop, buying questions!! (VIDEO ADDED)

-

ledman

'74 Duster 360
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Not sure if this is the right subforum, but I didn't see a particular section just my question.
A co-worker says he will sell me his 1968 Dart 270 Hardtop, says he is the second owner as him and his dad bought it from the original owner about 7 years ago.

It has the original 318 V8 2bbl motor and 3speed auto trans for $2000. Mileage is unknown, estimated at about 150k, odometer stopped working at 12,014. Power steering, NO power brakes, 4 wheel drum. AC compressor has been removed, as it froze up.
It runs good, car drives OK, has some squeaks and creaks in the suspension, like it needs new springs, but he did just put 4 new shocks and tires on it.
Minimal rust, just a little on the back bumper on top, making the chrome peel bacl, and some bubbling on the drivers side quarter panel, owner says from a bad bondo job when he had it painted.
Trunk floor pan is in great shape, floor pans too in the pasg area, the underneath of the car looks good from what I can see, without taking it to a shop to put on a lift.
It has hooker headers and dual exhaust, it sounds great too.
The inside needs some work, missing pieces, turn signal cam is broken, flashers don't work, he has the original radio for it too.

It's a california car, I have decoded the vin and fender tag too.
I looked up the value of this car, and in poor condition, haggerty says it should be worth about $3500.

What should I look for in particular? And special things on these cars I need to know about?
He has allot of extra parts with it, badges, a new rebuilt 4bbl car and a intake manifold, etc.

A few more pics of the inside. The seats are shot, I mean, the cushioning is not that great, drivers seat is ripped up, back seat is sun rotted on the top as usual, headliner looks ok, until you get to the back window area on the sides it's all dried up an peeling back.
Dash pad top and bottom needs replaced too.

I don't know if this car came with buckets, or a bench seat.

Trunk floor pan is good, no rust.

Yep 2K is a good price.

Just wondering though, if its really a 270, why it doesn't have the trim along the sides, and across the back of the trunk.

Some pics of my 68 270 (I've since removed the side trim)

Attachments

• NewDart.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 305
  • trunk.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 310
Hell i'll give you 3K for it!
Thats a steal at 2k!
The body looks just about rust free!

Thanks everyone. Yeah I definitely want it but the kid selling it is beating around the bush. He said he needs a few months to find another car to drive. He knows it's worth more but he knows I'm into mopars and knows I'll fix it up. Time will tell!

Oh...and he has the side trim and rear trunk trim. When he had it painted he had them remove it and filled in the holes.
Btw...what's the difference between a hardtop and coupe? The vin# indicated this is a hardtop. Did these come with vinyl roofs top?

Thanks everyone. Yeah I definitely want it but the kid selling it is beating around the bush. He said he needs a few months to find another car to drive. He knows it's worth more but he knows I'm into mopars and knows I'll fix it up. Time will tell!

Oh...and he has the side trim and rear trunk trim. When he had it painted he had them remove it and filled in the holes.
Btw...what's the difference between a hardtop and coupe? The vin# indicated this is a hardtop. Did these come with vinyl roofs top?

Coupe or sedan's have a post between the door and rear 1/4 window. I've seen vinyl onsedans and hard tops both. That car looks to have had a vinyl top as the trim is on the car for it.

That looks to be a great deal. Show up with handful of cash and maybe you can get him to do the deal before he changes his mind.

That looks to be a great deal. Show up with handful of cash and maybe you can get him to do the deal before he changes his mind.
That's the plan!
I agree. get wad of $1 bills, stick then in his face,..... and get it before someone offers him more!!????
Yes sounds like a good way to go...2000 1 dollar bills lol

And he isn't advertising it or anything or running a for sale sign on it. He really wants it to go to someone he knows. I think he is having a hard time parting with it but he just doesn't have the $ to fix it up. I'm not rich by any means but I can fix it up.

DO IT.................DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Sounds like a great deal.

I know right!? I was always told, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.
I keep worrying the kid will back out of the deal. We shook on it, and to me, that has sealed the deal, and if he backed out, I would be very upset. This car means allot to me, and i't snot even mine yet! I just want to see it in better condition, taken care of, and fixed up.

I see him everyday at work. I asked him today, if I showed up with a envelope full of cash, if he would sell me the car on the spot, he said yes, probably would, so cash talks BS walks! I have $1000 to put towards it so far, about one more month I should have the other grand.

When I did this video, he was not going to sell it, but after I did this video, he saw how interested in it I was and he told me "give me $2000, and it's yours." WITH, the stipulation, that he needs a few months to get another car. He doesn't drive it everyday, he uses his mom or Dads cars sometimes, both MOPAR's I might add, a Dodge Durango SLT and a Magnum R/T.

Here is a video of the car, quick walkaround and start up and some engine revs. At the time I did the video, I didn't know the trick for opening the hood lol, you have to jiggle the latch and pull on it a little as you push it to the left to get it to release lol, kinda sounds like me when I wake up in the morning...gotta jiggle a few things to get them going!:D

Youtube video of 68 Dodge Dart
[ame]http://youtu.be/a77RrRSqn0s[/ame]

Definitely not "all original", but a damn good foundation for whatever you want.

Yeah, I didn't know that when I first looked at it, but after talking to the seller more, but he has all the trim parts and badges he removed, so thats a good thing. He even has the Chrome trim for around the fender wells too.

'67 door panels on it. The orange paint is hiding problems...check for rust/body filler on inner fenders(under the hood), behind rear wheels, behind front wheels and under the carpet(floor panels)...and its probably 112k miles (maybe 212k?),,,doubt it would be 12k original miles.

You asked for opinions....that's mine.....

'67 door panels on it. The orange paint is hiding problems...check for rust/body filler on inner fenders(under the hood), behind rear wheels, behind front wheels and under the carpet(floor panels)...and its probably 112k miles (maybe 212k?),,,doubt it would be 12k original miles.

You asked for opinions....that's mine.....

Thanks for the tips on where to look! I will definitely check those areas out. And the odometer is broken, it stopped at 12014, which was I am guess 112014 miles, he said he has put and estimated 30K on it since the odometer stopped working, but doesn't know the exact mileage.

He did tell me that quarter panel had a dent in it, and the body shop put filler in there to fill in the dent.

Grab that asap. My '68 Dart GT was in slightly better condition and I paid double $2k thinking I stole mine for a deal.

-
Back