1968 Dart progress

-
No real update today other than I spent some coin on lighting equipment and lubes so Me and Toby can complete the intall this weekend. The engine is on the engine stand ready to be cleaned and built.

Me and Toby built and installed the 360 this wkend... it was a PITA though. For what ever reason we couldn't get the passenger side motor mount to sit flush on the biscuit pad...

360 Engine.jpg

360 Engine1.jpg

rebuilt.jpg

rebuilt2.jpg

Today was a great Mopar day (86* outside)... I finished up installing the RMS UCA and Adjustable strut rods, along with the front wilwood disc brakes. The only snag I ran into today was I broke the passenger side brake line trying to get the old hose off. Can I just order a new 68 manual brake line from Napa or are they special orders that I'd have to get from stainless steel brake lines?

a arms.jpg

a brakes.jpg

a brakes 1.jpg

a struts.jpg

that wilwood and rms stuff sure is pretty. to answer your question you should be able to get a strait line with the right ends and bend it yourself.

dang I'm jealous of that front end.
Just got home from the Classic Mopar club and picked up lots of ideas that i either dont have time for or cant afford right now!

Grrrrr.

Jason, pencil it in to be in Austin Sept 18th! You will not want to miss this Mopar event! More to come later.......

that wilwood and rms stuff sure is pretty. to answer your question you should be able to get a strait line with the right ends and bend it yourself.

THX Pete...
i was hoping to get some prebent stuff... I guess I need to learn how to bend it the correct way.
dang I'm jealous of that front end.
Just got home from the Classic Mopar club and picked up lots of ideas that i either dont have time for or cant afford right now!

Grrrrr.

Jason, pencil it in to be in Austin Sept 18th! You will not want to miss this Mopar event! More to come later.......

OK Les, I'll take a look at the schedule. It would be cool to drive my Dart from VA to TX...

Very cool! Glad it's all going together for you! You will love the RMS equipment! Same stuff I have on my 68 cuda, which is ALMOST street ready....

Very cool! Glad it's all going together for you! You will love the RMS equipment! Same stuff I have on my 68 cuda, which is ALMOST street ready....

Thanks bud, I really hope the new RMS sus stuff hepls improve the handling of the car vs the old stock stuff.

I will be installing my 4 row aluminum radiator today as well.... I purchased it off Ebay (Ledfoot racing) seem to be great quaility.

Damn that's looking GREAT! That's some serious hardware, and gonna make for a great running beast. Still following....

Grant

I mounted the front tires today to see how it sits... the front are 215/60/15's I dont like the way the front tires look. I should have bought 215/65/15's ... The brakes look really nice with these American Racing wheels though..

a front wheel.jpg

a front wheel1.jpg

aaa.jpg

I can't see what you wouldn't like about them in those pics, but that is up to you. Looks pretty good to me!

I can't see what you wouldn't like about them in those pics, but that is up to you. Looks pretty good to me!

it just doesnt fill the wheel well out like I wanted.... not a huge deal at this point.

Also hard to tell with the car in the dark.Im sure you have a much better vantage point.

Are your front wheels 15" x 6" ? I've gor a '68 Valiant with the same wheels (except painted) and same exact tires (215/60R15 BFG Radial T/A). My right front rubs on the front lower corner of the fender on sharp turns, and I don't have a motor in the car yet. Just wondering if you've got the same issue or not. I did the '73 up disc brake swap with the '73 up upper control arms. I'm wondering if I switch to the tubular arms if that may help gain some clearance (different caster angle I believe). I really don't want to switch to a 205/65R15, but you can see where mine rub in the pic below. I think the 215/60R15 fill the wheel well nicely though. Your brakes look way better than my stock pieces. Looking great... keep up the awesome work!

68valiantrightfrontside.jpg

-Ryan

Ryan,

My wheels dont rub at all on my front fender. I'm not sure if its b/c of the control are or not....

Are your front wheels 15" x 6" ? I've gor a '68 Valiant with the same wheels (except painted) and same exact tires (215/60R15 BFG Radial T/A). My right front rubs on the front lower corner of the fender on sharp turns, and I don't have a motor in the car yet. Just wondering if you've got the same issue or not. I did the '73 up disc brake swap with the '73 up upper control arms. I'm wondering if I switch to the tubular arms if that may help gain some clearance (different caster angle I believe). I really don't want to switch to a 205/65R15, but you can see where mine rub in the pic below. I think the 215/60R15 fill the wheel well nicely though. Your brakes look way better than my stock pieces. Looking great... keep up the awesome work!

-Ryan

I would bet with a good alignment that tire rub issue will go away. The problem, well not really a problem but the 67 to 72 front ends are 57.5 inch's wide and the 73 -up front ends are 59.1 inches wide so tire selection is key. I think the aftermarket front ends are even wider which is why most people that use them have to get rims with deep back spacing to get the tire back under the fender.

Im assuming the front end is rebuilt and fender is aligned properly and not tweaked.Itseems like a real small tire to be contacting.Or do I need glasses:glasses4:

It may not rub when the engine weight is in the car?

Im assuming the front end is rebuilt and fender is aligned properly and not tweaked.Itseems like a real small tire to be contacting.Or do I need glasses:glasses4:

It may not rub when the engine weight is in the car?

MY front is fine.. but to answer your question the tire is a little small IMO.

Can you drop the front end down some by backing out the torsion bar adjustment bolts?
It will change the way the tires fill the wheel wells and might make it more acceptable to you.

-
Back