1968 Dart vert rear speaker

-

djsling

Reaction score
Just bought a 68 Dart vert that has a rear speaker fader and the factory speaker wires in the trunk hooked to a aftermarket speaker mounted with a homemade bracket, was a rear speaker optional on a vert and if so where did it mount and would anyone have pics?

I had a 68 Dart GTS 383 4-speed that had a single 6x9 speaker with fader and dash switch, but have never seen one on a convertible. There would be no where to mount the speaker like in a hardtop.

my 67 had a reverb unit tied into the AM radio too. Music would get a concert hall like effect. Spoken voice sounded like head in a box.
I want to say that 1 rear speaker was mounted in the seat back frame/structure but my memory fails.
I remember throwing that reverb unit away along with its switch, bezel, and wiring, but I don't remember where that was mounted either. Right of the radio I think.

I will pull the back seat and see if it looks like something was mounted. I would have though a vert would not have the option, need to see if I can find anything on the data tag.

Some C-bodies had them...
68ply85494-4.jpg

No rear speaker on any A-Body convertible, ever from the factory
So someone just did a nice job adding everything I guess. Car obviously had a GTS parts car at some time, has hood, door panels and the 8 3/4, possibly the speaker fader too

No rear speaker on any A-Body convertible, ever from the factory
Agreed 100%, BUT... If you like it and it looks and sounds as YOU want, then I'd use it. All does not have to be original if you don't want it, modify your car to YOUR taste, after all its yours. Just my two cents....

Hey 2fine69s
You are absolutely right, that is why I wanted to see pictures of what was done. As you may or may not know speaker placement on a convertible is no easy task (assuming you don't want to cut things like door panels up)
Others including myself might like it.

I'll try and get pics later, knob and harness are original speaked is a homemade mount. Like I said, car must have had a GTS parts cart sometime in its life as it has GTS suspension, door panels, hood, and who knows what else came from it

I wanted rear speakers in my car, the only real place to put them looked to be on top of the side panel where the little padded armrest and the ashtray are. So I took off the padded piece and started making cardboard templates to visualize what I wanted.

So I started cutting wood and sanding it so it would tuck nicely and tightly against the curves in the side panel. After I was happy with the fit I glued and screwed the five pieces together, then had them covered with upholstery material that matches the interior. I put six inch round speakers in, there isn't really enough room for anything larger.

I sent my original AM radio (which didn't work anyway) in and had an AM/FM conversion done which gives you four channels at 45 watts per channel. I also bought some kick panel speakers for the front.

The end result is that I have music in my car that I can hear quite well even with the top down at 55-60 MPH.

Thanks for sharing your resolution.
I have one question, did you retain the original plastic piece or replace it with wood?

If you mean the original side panel, yes I kept it. All I did was take the little padded piece off the side panel, nothing more, then made up the enclosures and fastened them to the side panel through holes that were there for mounting the padded piece.

Last edited:
-
Back