1968 Dodge Dart convertible BARN FIND!! PICTURES!!!

-

mopar3653

Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked up this 1968 Dodge Dart GT convertible in a barn for the sum of $500.00! Can you believe it?! The car is beat and banged with a fair amount of rust in the quarters but the floors are SOLID with the exception of needing a patch panel on the drivers side and a trunk floor. The reason it was parked in 1982 is it was hit in the rear. There was no frame damage, it was all cosmetic. I put a battery in it and the top came right up! All the glass is good. Looks cosmetically rough but is very solid with a good foundation. It has a 6 cyl. in it but when finished it will be a BADASS GTS clone. CHECK OUT THE PICTURES!!!

68 dart 1.jpg

68 dart 2.jpg

68 dart 3.jpg

68 dart 4.jpg

68 dart 8.jpg

68 dart 5.jpg

68 dart 6.jpg

68 dart 7.jpg

68 dart 9.jpg

Well, your brave indeed..... Good Luck !!

When you have a nice looking GTS clone sitting in front of you it will be all worth it. :cheers:

Brave? Why? I have a four dar car and a two door car to scavenge for parts. Basically any GOOD resto will for the most part involve putting quarters on a car. I have a deck lid, two fenders and two cars to cut the trunk lip out of. A GTS hood, nice grille, and finish panel will be my hard to find parts. The cowl, inner fenders, frame, and torsion bar crossmember are perfect and rust free. Use your imagination and picture it with quarter panels and a good deck lid. It doesn't look so bad does it? The foundation is what's important. Sheet metal is easily replaced. There are only a couple of the convertible parts missing and the sterring wheel, horn ring and center button are laying in the seat in PERFECT condition. The seat was unbolted to remove the carpet(the reason the floors are what they are)and the dash is PERFECT. The exterior trim doesn't matter as it won't be used anyway. Maybe I am crazy, but it looks pretty good to me for what I have invested. I could tear it down and make three times what I paid for it, but it's too solid for that.

That will be a sweet looking Dart once it is done! What color you going to go with?

Welcome to the first day of the a very long car restoration project. I hope you've got the time and money commitments to keep chugging away until it is done.

That will be a sweet looking Dart once it is done! What color you going to go with?

Welcome to the first day of the a very long car restoration project. I hope you've got the time and money commitments to keep chugging away until it is done.

Red, white or silver. I haven't decided yet but if you go back the original red you would use black GTS letters and a black GTS stripe. If you go white or silver you can use red GTS letters and a red GTS stripe. I really like the pop of the red letters and stripe. All with black interior and a black top.

Personally, Id have it put on a frame machine and checked, the drivers side looks a little tweaked, but nothing that coulndt be fixed. As far as being brave, I just meant that it looks to be a ground up restoration, and a ton of work to get it right, alot of people buy cars like that, start them and realize that they bit off more than they can chew. Hopefully that doesnt happen to you. Like I said, good luck and keep us updated on the progress! :thumbup:

The advantage of working on an A-body, is that used body parts are still available. I haven't had to look very far to find parts for my Swinger. I see a lot of hours ahead of you, but you will have a neat car when your done. Keep us posted. Howard

Well, she has been torn down and is at the blaster. My tubular k-frame is here and so are the a-arms. I picked up a 5.7 Hemi and am tinkering with dropping it in her. A 426 Hemi or even a 440 six pack crossed my mind but I don't know how streetable they would be to go on a long cruise. I have a drag car to race. This is going to be my cruise car. The only thing that is going to be original is the body and the interior so why not go with the 5.7. I can get close to 425 HP with simple mods. I am going with 20's out back and 18's up front with an air ride suspension. She will be fun to look at AND to drive and that is what I am looking for. I also picked up a GTS hood and finish panel so the progress is moving right along. Hope all is well.

In less than a month!! You are well on your way with what you've found and starting the work so quickly!!
There ought to be a poll or bet of the date you are finished with her.
But that would really put a lot of pressure on you......I think. But it would be interesting.
My 73 Duster is currently at the body shop and I've been preparing for nearly 2 years.......here's the link to what has happened on just a little over 2 days of work on mine.......http://armentroutsurveying.com/1973Duster/Restoration/
Again Good luck with it and keep us posted with pictures.
Greg.............mtn_jake

My buddy Tom and I looked at a '67 that's worse than that, and Tom said "I like it, let's get it!" I said "Are you nuts!?"

He said "Didn't you notice what we just did with my Valiant? Fixing that convertible would be the exact same thing...no big deal"

It's all a matter of where you're sitting and what glasses you're looking through I guess.

A lot of TLC....With time, parts, swearing and a few beers who knows! Just go for it. Make sure you start a Post in the Member Restorations to keep us updated on her!!!
Good Luck.

I say there is some work to be dun but I have seen some of the folks here jump on a car in the same shape, Like Jimmy boy and all say get ready for some good time's and skinned knuckles and she will be a beauty.

Wow! That is rough, but if its cheap enough, and you have the ability to do it, then why not. I paid $3750 for a solid rust free car, and it still has to be restored. Good luck, you are definately going to need it.

I think you`re a visionary, that car has great potential and many people cannot see past the rust to conceive what a nice ride it could be. Keep us updated.

Well, she has been torn down and is at the blaster. My tubular k-frame is here and so are the a-arms. I picked up a 5.7 Hemi and am tinkering with dropping it in her. A 426 Hemi or even a 440 six pack crossed my mind but I don't know how streetable they would be to go on a long cruise. I have a drag car to race. This is going to be my cruise car. The only thing that is going to be original is the body and the interior so why not go with the 5.7. I can get close to 425 HP with simple mods. I am going with 20's out back and 18's up front with an air ride suspension. She will be fun to look at AND to drive and that is what I am looking for. I also picked up a GTS hood and finish panel so the progress is moving right along. Hope all is well.

you are right keep us posted

Lot of potential there. Lets see some pics of the parts and progress on the car, please.

-
Back