-
Status
Not open for further replies.

ww2

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
What we have here is a 1968 Dart 270 that has been restored to a Hurst Super Stock Drag car in the as delivered look that came straight from Hurst Industries in early 1968.

We started with a clean, straight Southern body and stripped it down to the bare unibody. The car was blasted inside and out and we then modified the original quarters wheel well openings and outer wheel houses to match the factory originals. We also cut into the rocker panels 1” for the correct tire clearance ( unlike most clones that are done wrong ). An original pair of factory torque boxes was then added. We also modified the right inner fender just like Hurst, first by cutting the inner fender, then heating and pounding in the inner fender and shock tower inward for the needed valve cover clearance. The seam was then brazed shut. We installed a correct Hemi A-Body K-frame with a set of steel motor mounts. The steering column collar has been shortened and the bearing moved up for driver side head clearance and has the correct # 50 stamped on the end.

We went the extra mile to remove all the factory seam sealer, sound deadening and undercoating to give the body the unfinished body in white look. The car has the correct heater and radio delete plates that were copied from an original Hemi Dart. There is also a very nice mirror delete plate along with a blower motor delete plate. The rear windows are fixed in the up position and the door glass has the correct style seat belts straps to open and close the windows.

The interior has new Legendary front and rear panels, new carpet, new headliner and package shelf without speaker holes. The A-100 type seats came from a pair of Drivers Education simulators and are mounted to a pair Kramers reproduction seat brackets.

The car has been set up like the original automatic cars with a 1967 B-Body 8 ¾” rear end and the correct Hurst his/hers dual gate shifter with console. The fiberglass hood and fenders are from W.S. Racing. We added the two jail bars to the scoop which is bonded to the hood with no seam. The hood and fenders were then painted with PPG black base coat and cleared with a flex and flat clear coat to give them a flat finished gel coat look which allows them to be touched without scratching the paint. The car has a new gas tank with a new 3/8” sending unit. The brakes are fresh, the master cylinder has been moved over with the correct offset plate and the brake rod was lengthened. The tires are new period correct Hurst reproductions, super cushions on the front and a set of pie crust cheater slicks on the rear. We even went through the trouble of reproducing the windshield hot sheet, warning label and sales bank tag.

We build these cars and offer them in many stages from rollers like this one or turn key stockers to full blown Drag cars. With many paint options like the factory as delivered look or any color combination you want. What this car needs now is just the drive train. You finish it and you will save 20-30 grand as clones done this nice and correct bring 70-90 thousand dollars. I have two more rust free 68 Darts and I will take one order at this time. Please contact me at [email protected] with any questions or offers. Additional photos available-serious inquiries only please. Price $36,500.00

P1000482.jpg

P1000488.jpg

P1000498.jpg

P1000491.jpg

P1000484.jpg

Nice car!! But, Did they really run those rubber brake lines inside the engine compartment? That seems like a accident waiting to happen. Why not just run solid lines?

I like the shifter...that looks like an orginal
Did you not have that for sale a few months ago also?

They did run the rubber hose brake lines because of the offset master cylinder plate. The master cylinder must be offset to allow clearance for the hemi head on the drivers side. The shifter is year correct but alas not an original and no I didn't have it for sale at anytime.

The purpose of the rubber brake lines is to allow you to unbolt the master cylinder and lay it on the top of the inner fender so that you have the room to remove the valve cover. If you did not do that, it would take bleeding the system everytime you lashed the valves.

Great job on the clone. Even to leaving the wiper motor mounted. When we first ran these cars,everything had to be as produced. Wipers had to work, all lights, only as big a tire as would fit in the as produced wheel well. The Hurst dual gate shifter is a nice touch even though it is not exact, because that is what we had to live with.

Thanks deadly dart you explained the brake hoses better than I did.

I dream of making my dart look like this some day. But unfortunately I don't think I can spring for a hemi and will have to settle for the 440. Amazing work and attention to detail. These car are bad *** and I still remember the hot wheels matchbox dart that got me hooked on getting a 68 dart. Well done.

We are striving to provide the 'as delivered look' from Hurst Industries thus the rubber hoses. In terms of function, the braided hoses may well be a better way to go. I don't remember braided hoses being commonly available in 1968-yes I'm old enough to remember those days-otherwise Hurst may have installed them.

Car has been sold. Thanks to everyone who looked and for the compliments. We will be building another car similar to this one in the near future. If anyone is SERIOUSLY interested contact me at [email protected]. The next car may well be a complete driving version.

Great job and attention to detail as previously stated. I'm also old enough to remember those "good ol' days". I first started using braided lines in the mid-'70s. Just to show how far things have progressed, I remember walking through the staging lanes at the Winternationals in the early '70s and seeing a 'Top Gas' dragster with the engine secured to the engine mounts with hose clamps! Scared me then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back