1968 SS Dart in progress

-
Attached are some pics of the inner fender housing beatdown.
The pictures of the trunk ,inside quarter panesl show the edge of the fabricated wheel lip which slides in between the inner wheel housing and quarter panel. The inner wheel housing is welded to this piece and must not be left out if you desire proper shape and strength in your quarter panel. Hope this helps a little.

Post some pictures of that. Are you saying you pound the inner fender well into the frame rail without taking anything out? If so I don't know about that one.
Yep. Pounded to the frame rail. The 68 SS Dart's my Dad builds are deliberately built exact to 68 Hurst spec's. His clients appreciate the original build quality and his cars have been touted as being some of the most, if not the most comprehensive builds out there. He does build to order so some customer's request different brake set-ups, Hemi configurations (power levels), full race, street/strip. His are strict, period cosmetic builds. I do not intend for this to come across as arrogant in any fashion. Just and attempt to explain why the technique is utilized :).

Man! These SS looking darts look awesome, 132068Dodge, if I wanted to make my dart look like this, do you know the specs for the rear? How much do you have to shorten the rearend (8 3/4 in my dart) How much to cut when mini tubing? and what rear wheel and tire did they use?
Axle width post narrowing is 52 inches from inner flange to inner flange surface. Pictures attached and of hood hehe.

Attachments

• axle width measure and hood 006.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,370
  • axle width measure and hood 005.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,433
  • axle width measure and hood 007.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 1,389
Well, I just received my brake lines from Classic Industries and year one. Classic industries is less expensive and they had most of what I needed in stock vs. Year One who seems to be a real PITA with backorders and 3-4 week drop ships. I should be finishing up the brake system in the next couple of weeks and moving on to the fuel system including brand new fuel lines (3/8" pre-formed), Holley 125 fuel pump (for race pressure), new fuel tank, sending unit, straps, attaching hardware etc... I will post pictures as I install more. Brake lines aren't very exciting too look at.

your still gonna run a mech pump for the street right?

the orange 528 car runs that... mech for the street and then the 125 @ the track

Love the car and the color. Where did you get the hood at. Is it a one piece fiberglass or did you glass the scoop on to the hood.

I purchased the hood and scoop from Glasstek and they are seperate. My hood is the race weight lift off which eliminates the hinges and around 30-35 pounds. The scoop is correct and ordered as a 68 SS scoop. Glasstek packages their products extremely well and required only minor body work to get straight. The dimensional fit is perfect! Did not require and trimming or addition of material for hood installation. The hood scoop is actually attached to the hood with 3M epoxy adhesive and rivets, then short strand fiberglass filler is used to rough in the scoop to hood and you must grind off the gelcoat on the mounting lip of the scoop, round off the sharp edge of the scoop, grind off the gelcoat from the hood only where the scoop will be bonded to it, and slightly up the entire circumference of the scoop so the epoxy and later fillers will bond properly.

I am going to use the same set-up Greg uses in all of the customer cars.

anything new chris??

should be taking the landy car out either this weekend or next...

Nothing new. Had to get a new car to replace our electrical gremlin laden ford taurus. It;s been too damn hot outside to do anything to the car lately. 115 in the shade! Not worth the hastle this summer I'm afraid. I have finished running all the brake lines (new) and purchased the drums from summit. They had the best deal for the 11x 2 1/2 at $39.00 each :). I need to get the axle seals and 4.30 gears to finish out the rear end and then I'll move on to the fuel system starting with a pre-bent 3/8" line front to rear etc... You know the drill.hehe. Just gonna wait for the cooler weather to come around and tear into it again. I hope to have all of the underpinnings dealt with by that time so I can concentrate on the interior, door builds, glass installation etc...

Nothing new. Had to get a new car to replace our electrical gremlin laden ford taurus. It;s been too damn hot outside to do anything to the car lately. 115 in the shade! Not worth the hastle this summer I'm afraid. I have finished running all the brake lines (new) and purchased the drums from summit. They had the best deal for the 11x 2 1/2 at $39.00 each :). I need to get the axle seals and 4.30 gears to finish out the rear end and then I'll move on to the fuel system starting with a pre-bent 3/8" line front to rear etc... You know the drill.hehe. Just gonna wait for the cooler weather to come around and tear into it again. I hope to have all of the underpinnings dealt with by that time so I can concentrate on the interior, door builds, glass installation etc...

just one step at a time! bummer on the ford...

Well, It's only in the 90's this weekend so It was time to make more progress on the Dart. I have been doing odds and ends such as installing new line lock, new brake lines, new e-brake cables, etc... Today included installation and set-up of the new 4.30 Richmond gears along with crush sleeve eliminator kit and new 1350 series 10 spline yoke with u-bolts. Also, new Yukon axles with green bearings and completely new 11x2 1/2" rear drum brakes. All went well and the gear mesh pattern is great. Thanks go out to Dad (Greg Fernald) and to Ed (805moparkid) for helping out with assembly. By the way, Ed should work with a fire extinguisher attached to his hip from now on. I'll let him fill you all in on that one. HEHEH. I Attached some pics but omitted undercarriage pics as that is just plain boring to look at freshly installed brake lines! Already purchased new sending unit with lock ring and gasket and front to rear fuel line (3/8" for all)Will be purchasing new fuel tank, straps, hardware, Holley 125 pump, etc.. to finish up underpinnings soon. I hope all is well with everyone's projects ](*,)

Attachments

• October 1st 2011 rear end install 001.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,124
  • October 1st 2011 rear end install 002.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 1,102
  • October 1st 2011 rear end install 003.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 1,100
  • October 1st 2011 rear end install 004.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,110
  • October 1st 2011 rear end install 005.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,104
  • October 1st 2011 rear end install 006.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,107
looking great chris!

and its not my fault your dad tries to light me on fire from time to time...

Good work man. Looks great. I have a 68 that will be on the same path here pretty soon. I plan to completely tear it down and go from the ground up just like you did.

Jeff

Very nice build indeed! But when asked tell everyone its Citron Yella, you're driving a Dodge ;) LOL

It has been some time since my last post. Home sick today so I thought I would dabble a bit online. Hope all are haveing a good start to the new year :). I finally ordered more parts for the car after what has felt like an eternity. Scored a great deal on a nice Canadian made gas tank, fuel sender, and fuel filler neck to trunk floor seal brand new for $142.50 off ebay a few days ago. The Holley 125 is soon to follow. I can finally button up the unglamorous stuff and start on the interior and glass soon. I will post some pictures when all is installed.

It has been some time since my last post. Home sick today so I thought I would dabble a bit online. Hope all are haveing a good start to the new year :). I finally ordered more parts for the car after what has felt like an eternity. Scored a great deal on a nice Canadian made gas tank, fuel sender, and fuel filler neck to trunk floor seal brand new for $142.50 off ebay a few days ago. The Holley 125 is soon to follow. I can finally button up the unglamorous stuff and start on the interior and glass soon. I will post some pictures when all is installed.

hey bud! thought you forgot about us!

-
Back