1968 Valiant V100

-

spikermiker

Reaction score
Good morning,

My name is Mike. I have been cruising as a guest on this forum since the early 2000's! I decided to join when I found someone selling an old Duster I owned which got me into mopars. I have owned many cars and motorcycles over the years and have come to love all makes and models.

Currently my slow going project is a 1968 Plymouth Valiant V-100 with power nothing! Its got an unoriginal 318 with 360 j heads, unknown cam and an old school ld4b intake with carter 400 carb. This engine is connected to a 4 speed with a 8-3/4 rear end with what I believe to be 4.10's.

My situation is focused on getting through the rest of college so my finances and time are short. When I do graduate I plan to restore my Plymouth to near stock, with suspension and brake upgrades being the center of attention.

The paint shown is not original. However, the original light green (light metallic-y) is right under it and present in the engine compartment.

The car has small rust issues from neglect. The vents were plugged with leaves and bad wiper seals caused the front portion of the front floor pans to rust through. The right rear corner of the rear window had some crap settle in there and eventually rusted through into the RR quarter. These issues seem small compared to what I have seen on here!

Yep some small issues compared to some.From what I can see it isn,t to bad at all.Sounds like it has all the important stuff already on the car.Good luck with your rolling project.:D

Actually we were going out that day to dinner and I thought it would make a cool matching photo!

The engine was supposedly rebuilt; my friend owned it as his daily driver for a year before he left back to France and sold it to me (he wanted to sample an American classic!). The cam is a little lopey and doesn't come on until 2000rpm; it pulls to 6000 with 318 manifolds. I set the initial to 20 and total at 38 with no ping but didn't push further. From what I read these 360 heads are killing the compression. I believe the pistons are stockers.

Edit: the cam is a solid flat tappet with what looks like 273 adjustable rockers. I have not found any mud or accident damage so seems like an easy project!

Welcome to FABO from SoCal. I think you're going to have fun here.
Nice solid project Valiant.

Here's a pic of the finished '68 Valiant my club built as our 2008 charity project car.

View attachment 2008Valiant400 (Small).jpg

It had a 400-inch big-block/727/8.75 powertrain, RMS AlterKtion front and Street Lynx rear suspension, new Legendary interior, and custom paint when finished. It was a really sweet ride when done.

definitely a good start! Plenty there to work with to make a nice street car.

Mike, NICE CAR!!! It looks just like the one I envision doing...if I had one. Well, maybe not 100%. I would heater/radio delete it and have a lift-off hood.I smacked my head so many times under the hood of my Dart! Does it have the Coachman grain interior? If it ever needed a new home....If not,I have a brand new set of JR 1-5/8" street headers that were to be used on an A-body. Good luck with the car and best wishes for the education! Bob

Welcome to FABO Spikermiker!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Wow what a great looking car you have there. I like the look the way it is. The car is very solid. Should be a fun project that provides some challange without breaking the bank.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures - We love pictures!

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• DSC06134.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 245
Wow, thanks for all the kinds words guys!

I have already completed some work on it with my friend in the last year. This includes getting the seats redone (just a generic pattern), converting the mallory dual point distributor to electric, rebuilding the Hurst shifter, and rebuilding the heater box! When we bought it the headliner and carpet were out so we just use some black paint in interior...it gives it a "all business" look!

The last picture is my friends Dad; he obviously was very happy to drive it!

Edit: The car did have a radio delete plate in it, however the previous owner cut a section out of it to install an aftermarket radio. The dash is not cut, thank goodness. However, he did add a manual choke....out here in California I haven't used it once.

-
Back