1969 BB 4-speed Barracuda Formula S

-
Nice find! Mine is a 69 "S" as well, although not a BB, it is a 4spd and a ragtop, which is the reason why I grabbed it up. Nowhere near as solid as yours and it currently is a 20+ year project LOL. BTW not picking it apart, but the dash looks to be 67 as it has the round radio knob holes instead of the thumbwheels...but you probably knew that as this aint your first rodeo! Welcome aboard and post as much as you can! Oh yeah I agree with abv as to the build sheet...take pics of it before even trying to remove it! Good luck!

$3k? = VERY good price. People have paid more for less.

Next order of business, see if you can contact that previous owner via letter (might be a longshot, but might pay off). At least you can find out more about the car and what happened to the drivetrain. Then buy a Factory Service Manual (they are more than worth it). You can get them in a PDF format that is searchable. Develop a plan and list of parts you think you will need from there. Make friends with any FABO members in the area who are talented. Hunt craigslist religously for a 69 383 block. With your luck, you might score one with exhaust manifolds. Copy and paste this into google:

1969 383 site:craigslist.org

Recommendation:
Keep the steel wheels in black and put on dog dish hubcaps. With the yellow paint and black stripe and black tail panel that car will look badass.

See if you can find the partial VIN stamping on the top of the radiator support (it might be caked in paint since you mentioned that before), and also see if you can find the partial VIN on the trunk lip where the weatherstripping is. Pull that backseat and see if there is a build sheet. It would be cool if it is, but I will wager it may be long gone.

*****EDIT*****
Cars give up awesome clues sometimes...can't tell if that is the buildsheet on the seat back in your last trunk pic(SURE LOOKS LIKE IT, AND IT LOOKS TO BE IN REALLY GOOD SHAPE)....take a closer look. Leave it there until you can get an extra hands to CAREFULLY extricate it and put in in a document protector if it is. Remove some of those parts from the trunk and start cleaning them up and see what you have. Even if they are not for the car, things like that shroud may be worth some $$. The more I see this car, the more I am really digging your "Sunfish". Sent you a possible lead on the previous owner via PM. Might be worth a phone call. A quick Google search of "Jerry Dember Motors" yields some archived articles from the Tucson Observer from the mid eighties. Is there a trace of a name on the buisiness card as well...looks like "Barry" something...tough to make out.

Sell your B Body and E Body parts and put the $$ towards this build, unless you can fund it outright. You sir, have a fish that is a keeper (pun intended). My opinion.

BUMMER<<<<< wrong BS for a K2 340 3-speed Duster

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 456
Well, do not be discouraged. Sometimes there may be more than one build sheet in a car, and certainly buildsheets for other cars being found in car to which they do not belong is not out of the ordinary. Seat could have been swapped in from something else, perhaps? Did you check the lower part of the back seat, under the carpet, or behind the glove box? Where there is one, there could be a second... No build sheet, no problem...

Also, to echo 4spdragtop's observation, is the dash that is in the car a 150 MPH Rallye speedo or has it been swapped in?

Well, do not be discouraged. Sometimes there may be more than one build sheet in a car, and certainly buildsheets for other cars being found in car to which they do not belong is not out of the ordinary. Seat could have been swapped in from something else, perhaps? Did you check the lower part of the back seat, under the carpet, or behind the glove box? Where there is one, there could be a second... No build sheet, no problem...

Also, to echo 4spdragtop's observation, is the dash that is in the car a 150 MPH Rallye speedo or has it been swapped in?

Lots of screws that hold dash in missing also has a/c control tho not an a/c car probably been swapped.. the tag calls for rally dash does this mean it would have a tach also or is that an option that should be on the tag.

vbpgimage.php

You light group dictates you should have the directional lights on the hood so save those.

vbpgimage.php

Tach would be a listed option.

If you would like to find out more details about those individual options check out the dealer ordering information, ie trim selectors, price guides, data books etc here:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0009.jpg

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0010.jpg

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0011.jpg

Hopefully that helps. I also think your interior should be white, so I think those seats came from somewhere else along with the dash as well. H4X would be black and
H4W would correspond with a white interior. Save those door panels I guess.

Also, if you are thinking about sending your VIN to Hamtramck Historical to tray and get a microfische, they told me 1969 was destroyed in a fire. No records to be had. they will send you some consolation information about 1969 cars, though. Nothing you can't get on your own though.

Too bad the build sheet isnt for your car, at least its for a 340 car though! Start a new thread with the vin from the build sheet in the title. Someone would love to have their build sheet. I cant tell from the pics about your dash, but if it is an orig a/c dash they are very hard to find, as it being a 1yr only one. I have a spare dash bezel, and trim if you are interested or if its needed. You need to start a new thread in "members restoration" for all of us to follow.

The part numbers on that bell housing are correct for 70-71 B & E-body cars 383-440-Hemi.

I would check inside the dash on the back side of the glove box liner, build sheets were often put there. Also check under the front seats, my 70 Dart bench seat had pieces from one there at one time. Also check behind the interior panels, kick panels, and on the bottom of the package tray, the factory often put them in wired places, I would even look inside the doors under the regulator. Believe it or not but some vehicles even had one on the top side of the gas tank!!!! Would be great to find it, good luck!

You need to start a new thread in "members restoration" for all of us to follow.

I agree with 4spdragtop on this one. Start with some bagging and tagging and get some of those random parts out of the trunk and on a shelf after you clean them up. Then start gathering parts or selling off those that you don't need and gather those parts that are correct for your car. You would be surprised with what you can come up with if you ask around here.

As for as the old buildsheet, it can't hurt to post it to see if a member has that car...a bit of a longshot, but stranger things have happened. I have heard of buildsheets even being up underneath the headliner in addition to all of those other random places mentioned previously. I guess eventually when you get the car broken down enough, there will be a definite answer if it exists or not.

If you do happen to find the BS, buy one of those plastic 3-ring binder sleeves for it. Cheap insurance for any important document.

I have a flat steel hood with aluminum bracing underneath from a 76 Feather Duster. It was factory built this way to save weight. It is the exact same hood as a 69 Cuda top and bottom, only lighter and rust free.... It was on my Fastback until I swapped it out for a glass hood with a Hemi scoop.

If you or anyone else is interested, let me know.

On the road for awhile so will post the full VIN on the buildsheet ,, when I return hopefully Car is still out there and it can find its way home.

still on the road my Son went after the car with some 2000 grit and a buffer!

Attachments

• barracuda.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 379
Cleaning up pretty nicely! Post up some pics once he takes care of the rest for you! HAHAHA!

Progress is progress...slow and steady wins the race.

Can't tell if is the lighting or the pic, but that yellow appears to be more vibrant than Y2 yellow which seems to be a softer yellow and seems more similar to the untouched parts of the car.

attachment.php

Either way, hang onto the steelies, spruce them up, and put them back on the car with some dog dish caps. Also, be careful around those grilles! Just my opinion.

I've only seen 3 hardtop big block Barracudas in all of my 42 years :
1.) 1968 383-S hardtop . It was largely original ; Q5 turquoise with black interior , AM-FM thumbwheel , console-shift T-Flite , manual disc brakes ; and 3.91 gearing . Its only modifications were : Ansen Sprint wheels (14x5" front , 14x8" rear) , illegal side pipes (the ones with the hidden slide to open them to unmuffled exhaust) , and the change to a factory 2Bbl induction during the gas crunch .

2.) 1969 "A12" 440 hardtop . EB5 Blue . Its engine was built by Sox & Martin's team ; it later was owned by Tom Hoover (under the guise of "Hoover's Mover") and was used as a test mule for Direct Connection's "W" Series small block heads (Hoover bought the car sans powertrain ,and swapped the 340 into it). This car was featured in Mopar Action a few years back .

3.) Yours :D .

Yours is optioned in a similar fashion to how I'd have ordered a '69 Barracuda : 383 , 4 speed , 3.23 / Sure grip , disc brakes , fast ratio manual steering , AM-FM radio , Mod Top :D .

I thought that yours was originally EV2 Tor-Red , as I misread the fender tag ; that Y2 looks like "V2" with all of that code-obscuring paint caked on it .

Just a slight correction...a '69 440 M-code cuda is "A13" not "A12". You see my T5 car above your post. I could show you 2 more big block hard tops and that would be 6 that you have seen in your 42 years!!:blob:

Son stripped finish panal to paint Do the have red stripes?

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 381
Out in the Sun!

Needs the rocker moldings put back on...

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 318
vbpgimage.php

There is red that frames the black center around the perimeter.

Here is a pic of mine. Be mindful of the tail light end caps. They should be black as well when you shoot black back onto that panel.

Looks good out in the sun...

Yes red on the finish panel like above. You can get "tail panel red" in rattle can from Totally Auto.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/3116744448.html

I was going to let the OP post this, but I figured that I will post that it is at present out there for $8.5k for interested parties...not sure why it is not posted in the For Sale forum here (I have my suspicions)...I would think the exposure would be better. I will give you the 3k you stated you paid for it earlier in the thread and you can keep the 67 383 and 4 speed, Cragers, and put the steel wheels back on.

Post pics of the convertible your are interested in. Anything remarkable about it? Good luck with the sale.

got the finish panal done and a replacement dash pad in...

Attachments

• IMG_1506.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1508.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 263
-
Back