1969 cuda engine swap

-

Markaylasdad

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for your input and things are going very well.
Here are a few pics of the 318 ready to drop in.
When I get the car rolling I'll post some more.

IMG_20230307_105615600.jpg

IMG_20230307_105606656.jpg

IMG_20230307_105557435.jpg

One quick thing I noticed- it looks like you've got the 1" bypass fitting in your manifold and the 3/4" fitting on the water pump. If that's the case, you might want to change one or the other out to make them the same size so you can run either the early OR the late bypass hose- the fittings are a LOT easier to change before the engine's in...

Good eye professor.
Otherwise, yeah, looks nice.
Now for my checklist;
Did I remember to;
install the internal oil-gallery plugs,
and the separator cup-plug in the supply-line,
and I oriented the rocker shafts correctly,
and the rear cam-plug is not gonna fall out at under 4psi ....
and I rolled the crank over slowly, to make sure no valves hit any pistons...right?
And finally, I would fit the alternator now, while it's easy to move the fuel-line and/or dipstick tube, as may or may not be, required.
Cuz I hate when I find out later, that I missed something.
One guy here on FABO, admitted to finding his convertor on the bench, after everything was installed. I applaud him for admitting that fubar, but I've done some crazy things as well ....... I say crazy, cuz I know I ain't stoopid, right? lol.

If that going into that '66 Barracuda, are you using the stock 273 exhaust manifolds? If so, have you test fit the driver's side to see if you've relieved the head casting so it will bolt down without breaking? Those smog heads need the A.I.R. holes plugged and #7 outlet machined to allow the manifold flange to sit flat. That's a rather touchy bit of machining that is best done with the engine out (actually it should be done before the head is rebuilt in case you break through into the water jacket). Also, that oil sending unit is incorrect for a '66 Barracuda. Those cars all have a gauge, not a light and that is a light sender.

-
Back