1969 Dart---Spring relocation with mini-tubs

-

Bayou Mopar

Reaction score
Just trying to get a second and maybe a third opinion, along with some free knowledge:

Trying to get a little more tire at the rear of a 1969 Dart, stroked 416, with an 8 3/4 and currently with stock springs.

Plan is to relocate the springs to the frame rails and mini-tub the car. I'm being told this will allow for about 12" wide tires...but I have seen threads that say you can get the 12" wide tires at the rear with just the spring location and no tubbing. Looking for confirmation and/or any recommendations on most economical and (more importantly) best options.

Based on the current plan, I believe I would need:
(2) Upper rear shackle bolt sleeves (to be welded into chassis frame rail) that would include (4) bushings for the (2) upper shackle bolts
(2) super stock springs with bushings if/where needed for installation
(2) "special" shackle assemblies (as needed) to insure correct fits and no problems

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated...including suppliers and contact information for the above listed parts or other parts the forum finds I may have overlooked.

Thanks

3" spring relocation kit, USCT Motorsports is a supplier for this kit

Most of your clearance gained will be from moving the springs in since there is unused space in the wheel well on the inboard side. If you want the max go with the mini tubs too.

A 275/60/15 is possible with a 1/2” spring offset and the stock tubs. At that point the tubs are the limiting factor, not the springs.

If you want to go wider than 275, you need the 3” spring relocation and the mini-tub. The 3” relocation with the stock tubs is only good for a 275, same as the 1/2” offset, because that’s all the stock tubs will take.

Thanks to all...looking forward to participating as a contributor where I can and an avid knowledge seeker always.

NOW...if I might ask a trickier question...is there an aftermarket replacement fuel tank that is about 25"-26" wide (rather than the original 29.5" wide tank) that will allow clearance for exhaust pipes to hug the frame and exit at the rear bumper?

Not to my knowledge but people are running up to 3" on their Darts. I forget but check TTI tailpipes. Welcome to the site. Members here are awesome!
Exhaust_Parts

I just redid my exhaust and I wanted to put a resonator that was 3.5" in diameter in the tail pipes and there was no way it would clear the tank and spring on the drivers side. So 3" pipe and a spring moved inboard are not going to work well. I think most have just snaked it around the spring and exited to the out side of the shackle.

I saw a dart with tubs and asked the guy. He said he modified a c body gas tank. Moved the tank tube. Wish I had more info.

If you get the USCT spring relocation kit and the extra wheel well material, it's possible to fit up to a 325 tire with a little room to spare. You just have to measure correctly and take your time.

20201213-104226.jpg

20211002-133809.jpg

Just trying to get a second and maybe a third opinion, along with some free knowledge:

Trying to get a little more tire at the rear of a 1969 Dart, stroked 416, with an 8 3/4 and currently with stock springs.

Plan is to relocate the springs to the frame rails and mini-tub the car. I'm being told this will allow for about 12" wide tires...but I have seen threads that say you can get the 12" wide tires at the rear with just the spring location and no tubbing. Looking for confirmation and/or any recommendations on most economical and (more importantly) best options.

Based on the current plan, I believe I would need:
(2) Upper rear shackle bolt sleeves (to be welded into chassis frame rail) that would include (4) bushings for the (2) upper shackle bolts
(2) super stock springs with bushings if/where needed for installation
(2) "special" shackle assemblies (as needed) to insure correct fits and no problems

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated...including suppliers and contact information for the above listed parts or other parts the forum finds I may have overlooked.

Thanks
I'd recommend buying the entire spring location kit instead of piecing something together. I've never done a Dart, but did minitub a Demon with a friend. He ran a 10" wide, 15" wheel. Depending on the tire, you may be able to fit a wider wheel. For the exhaust on the Demon we did, we had a shop make custom tail pipes that moved the pipe to the outside of the leaf spring. Lastly, you may want to consider something besides super stock springs. There's better springs out there that won't make the *** end of your car 3' in the air. You didn't mention you intended use for the car, but I'm going to assume some drag racing may be involved. Calvert Racing makes some nice springs and bars to control wheel hop and spring wrap.

(FYI- I'm right to the east of you in St. Tammany Parish.)

Hadn't heard about your surgery, glad you were able to reply. OP is trying to get some traction and I know you do well even without minitubs. Perhaps you can share?

I have a 67 dart same as your 69

I did the 3" inboard kit from Mancini.
Cut my own steel strips to tub the wheel wells.
I followed these tech pages (before fabo) Tech Index

I have a stock width A body (52 5/8 housing) 8 3/4 with the c body axles. (Moser) Backspace is 7.25 with custom made wheels 15 x 10 for dog dish caps. Home made 15 x 10 with 5 on 4 1/2 b.c. and dog dish hubcaps.

Tires are 325/50/15.
TTI exhaust with x pipe.
Did run ss springs 002/003
I custom built a stainless steel tank to hold 20 gallons so exhaust would exit at bumper. Removed spare tire tub and put tank there.

Stock style Tanks Inc Tank, relocated springs, tubs and 3” tailpipes on my 70 Valiant (AKA Dart) Hardtop

F0BCB05F-D4FC-4DAC-890B-9882C25A0492.jpeg

FF45DBE2-C521-4824-9B5D-8979A658B0BD.jpeg

6B303152-D453-4CC9-BBC3-0CBA0E76583E.jpeg

282D909C-F614-450E-A992-DAA4AC31CE52.jpeg

Hadn't heard about your surgery, glad you were able to reply. OP is trying to get some traction and I know you do well even without minitubs. Perhaps you can share?
Rear:
26x10.50 Sportsman Pro tires, 13-18psi
Offset shackles
Stock springs with poly rear bushings in the rear holes, rear clamps removed
50/50 shocks

Front:
318 bars
90/10 shocks

Ran 11.70's@ 114, 1.70 shorts with that combo.

Theyre Comp 7s

15 in. x 10.0 in., 5 x 4.50 in. Bolt Circle, 4.000 in. Backspace
Oh, ok I didnt realize it was not stock axle width... totally missed the Dana 60.
I'm trying to get a good idea , like the op of what BS will work with factory A-Body 8 3/4 width.

Oh, ok I didnt realize it was not stock axle width... totally missed the Dana 60.
I'm trying to get a good idea , like the op of what BS will work with factory A-Body 8 3/4 width.

Stock width A body 8.75 with a relocation kit requires 7.5BS on a 10" wheel

00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg

-
Back