1969 Dart Street/Strip (Re)Build

-
I pretty much thumbed thru the whole thread, you do know that the swing out bars won`t be nhra legal because of the bends in them don`t u?
yu definitly a go getter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!bo:salute:b

Thanks! I haven't been much of a go getter lately. I had a hernia surgery that I'm still recovering from but it's getting a lot better now. I had the cage built at a local shop that puts cages in most cars around here. One of the tech guys grom the track actually works there I was told. They built it to pass tech here. Maybe somewhere else it may not pass but it should where I'm at. I haven't seen anything in the NHRA rule book that says you can't have a bend in the side bars but I could have missed it. If it is indeed wrong, them guys are going to be doing it over.

WOW you are really blowing that car out .. Very Awesome job really like what you are doing . keep up the great work.

WOW you are really blowing that car out .. Very Awesome job really like what you are doing . keep up the great work.

Thanks! It was never intentional to go this far into the machine, but we all know how that goes when you start into something. I had hernia surgery about 3 weeks ago and I've been on the lazy train the entire time. I could have been working on it this week, but I need to get my big propane bottle into the garage for the heater and I don't think I can carry it from the shed due to its weight. My garage has no insulation anywhere except the wall that connects the inside of the house. So when it's cold out, my garage is just as cold. I think it got up to 18 degrees today! WOW! I know that's not cold in some places, but that's purdy darn cold here for a high temp. Right now I really need to paint the insert, dash, roll bars, and the door pieces and move forward with wiring. The problem there is getting the garage heated up enough to paint without getting the humidity out of control with the propane heater. I've thought about making a small paint booth with plastic or something and heat it with an electric heater. But my ambitions aren't up to speed just yet.

Here's a not so good pic of the new MRL Pro Plus lifters that came in recently. Really looking to put these through their paces. Will drop these off to the builder, mock up engine, then take the heads up to Speier Racing Heads to get the heads flow checked and get some porting estimates.

Lifters.jpg

Insert came out good. Fits well and doesn't look too over the top to me.

20131219_223046.jpg

20131219_222945.jpg

20131219_222829.jpg

Very nice. Might even copy it - the ultimate compliment.

With MRL'S Pro Plus lifters in place, we did a mock up to get our push rod length. Good thing we did. The piston was kissing one of the valves! When we send in the rotating assembly to get balanced, we'll have them cut the intake valve reliefs a little deeper. You know I had heard about the odd pushrod angles before but when I saw it for myself, I was like DAMN! The angle is pretty bad on some as you can see in the picture. But MRL's lifters dropped in with no issues as advertised. Much better than Comps lifters we had before. Plus the lifter had lots of room for more lift before the oiling hole came out of the bore. So far so good.

2079-1.jpg

2076.jpg

2072-1.jpg

2074-2.jpg

2080-1.jpg

2088-1.jpg

Took the heads over to Chad at Speer Racing Heads in Hays after the mock up to get a good assessment on the port work from someone who's a professional at head porting. The PO was told they flowed 321 CFM. My builder wasn't getting close to that. So when Chad checked, he was getting 275 cfm @.700 lift. The evidence of lies was there because i watched it with my own eyes. Proof again that people tell you what you want to hear and they make you pay for it. He showed me all the flaws in the port work. How the bowls needed some serious attention because there really was no bowl shape. The ports tapered inwards. Port sizes were all different. It was a mess of a port job. So I told him what I was after and left the heads there so he could finish them correctly and get these babies flowing.

2089-1.jpg

2093-1.jpg

with all the work your doing why are you keeping the stock front suspension on it ? your doing a great job on it.:happy1:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkGD3JITfb0&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Big Bad Plymouth - YouTube[/ame]
with all the work your doing why are you keeping the stock front suspension on it ? your doing a great job on it.:happy1:

Well that's an easy answer. Money! I'm struggling as it is to get done what I have. I'm about 3 times deeper in than I had planned to be so I have to say when on certain things. So running a rebuilt stock front end doesn't bother me. I've see a lot of fast cars with stock front ends. Check out this guy's car with stock front end that runs high 9s.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkGD3JITfb0&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Big Bad Plymouth - YouTube[/ame]

Taped the interior off last night and got a couple coats of primer on. Thank goodness for respirators! That primer stinks something terrible. When my wife pulled up last night to the garage, she said she could smell it inside her car before she even got to the garage! And that was an hour and a half after I sprayed.

20140102_204732.jpg

20140102_210424.jpg

I love when someone digs in instead of running away. The old saying, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going.", comes to mind. I know how it is to hit a wall and have to sit back and figure out what to do next...especially when you have no one to look over your shoulder and tell you what to do next. You are doing a great job! I would also like to compliment your wife on putting up with all this. She must be a great lady.

Thanks gremlin. I seriously had considered just parting the car out at one point. But I knew I would probably just lose my arse on it. I'm still going to lose my arse on it no matter which way I look at it anyway but I pushed through and saved the car. Eventually it will be a fun toy I hope. My wife has been real good about the whole ordeal. She says "I just keep my mouth shut about it anymore". Lol. But she still likes to throw the fact out there that I "bought a car that was already done" and look what happened. And I have to admit compete guilt for that!

Were this TTI Headers by chance? I had a set do the same thing to me and called TTI and there was a certain stock numbers they would take back and jet hot for free. Looks like you were one of the lucky ones.

Were this TTI Headers by chance? I had a set do the same thing to me and called TTI and there was a certain stock numbers they would take back and jet hot for free. Looks like you were one of the lucky ones.

I took them straight to Jet Hot in Oklahoma City. Don't deal with TTi. Take them straight to Jet Hot and they should warranty them at not cost if they are indeed TTi headers.

-
Back