1969 Dart Street/Strip (Re)Build

-
It was like Christmas at the house for a couple days there with all these parts showing up. The cat was exceptionally happy as well because he loves to have some new boxes to dive into.

And this was a valentine's/birthday gift from my wife. GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition. She's a heck of a gal I tell ya! Now I will have something suitable to get videos of the car, skiing, snorkeling in the ocean, etc. Can shoot 12MP stills at 30 frames per second! That's 5 times more pictures in a second than my DSLR will do. Will shoot up to 120 fps in video for good slow motion playback. Has all sorts of modes for shooting cinema quality video to action video. And the Superview camera angle is unreal how much it can see. Everything you can see in your vision, this camera can see. Extremely wide FOV. Came with a Wifi remote but also has a phone app so if it's attached to the car where you can't reach it easily, I can set it to record, take pictures, change any setting without touching the camera at all. Can also use the app to actually see what the camera is seeing. It's a pretty slick setup. Can't wait to start getting some good use out of it.

DAMN!!! I want one I was a good boy think she would get me one. Ha, I know...wish full thinking....Looks great can't wait for video's. Oh by the way long time lurker...Sorry.
Brad

DAMN!!! I want one I was a good boy think she would get me one. Ha, I know...wish full thinking....Looks great can't wait for video's. Oh by the way long time lurker...Sorry.
Brad

Come over and do some of her daily chores and she might! lol

Yeah I can't wait to start playing around with it. I did a time lapse on the way home from work the other day. It takes pictures at whatever interval you set and you load them into their software program and it turns that into what looks like a fast forwarded video. Neat option but it really eats up memory.

I'm spotting some electric cut-outs in there. What brand? Looking for the Pypes myself but haven't been able to justify the price yet but getting closer.

I'm spotting some electric cut-outs in there. What brand? Looking for the Pypes myself but haven't been able to justify the price yet but getting closer.

Those are Summit brand cutouts. They are cheapies but others here run these and seem to like them. They cost $130 a piece. If you buy the kit they sell, you get the wiring, pipe cutouts, and electric cutouts. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-05-0022. The one issue I hasd so far is that Summit sent one that was brand new and the other looked used. So called them, sent it back, and they sent another. The second one looked even worse! All scratched up on the exhaust attach flange and looked weathered. Called them again and explained what the deal was. Supposedly they made a note to check the unit before they send the 3rd one to make sure it wasn't a used unit. We'll see. I don't understand what was going on with that but the customer service has been really good. It's not like anyone will see the things underneath the car, but when you pay a lot of money for something that is supposed to be new, you expect it to at least appear new ya know. It's just the principle of it.

Don't ever add up how much you got into your car…. I sure don't cause it would start to piss me off….. a brand new fresh off the dealer show room floor hot rod looks better and better! Lol

Don't ever add up how much you got into your car…. I sure don't cause it would start to piss me off….. a brand new fresh off the dealer show room floor hot rod looks better and better! Lol

Oh lord, don't I already know! I've got a ballpark figure, but I'm thinking it's even more than my ballpark figure. It makes my butt pucker but it is what it is. The price you pay to build it the right way. Plus I don't want to know because someone will always ask "how much you got in this thing". I'd rather give the answer "I'm not sure". BUT the thing about the dealer show room hot rod is that people aren't going to take a second look like they do with these old cars. People's necks snap when they see the old ones cruising around. At least mine does. But decent gas mileage and air conditioning would be kinda nice....

I was just informed today that I need custom intake valves now as well. FML

I'm just on the brink of starting the wiring. But first I needed to get my switches mocked up and the layout figured out first. The intent here was to have hidden switches. I just didn't like the thought of having switches sticking out of the dash. I wanted a bit of a cleaner look. So since the ash tray wasn't going to be used, that's where I decided to put them. I cut out material where I needed to to make the most amount of room and added a small panel and it BARELY worked out. What I'll have is a fuel pump, water pump, electric fan, line lock, and electric cutout switches installed there. I think it should be pretty slick.

Nice job on the switches! Be sure to heat shrink all the connections to eliminate a short in that tight area.

Nice job on the switches! Be sure to heat shrink all the connections to eliminate a short in that tight area.

No doubt. Going to try and eliminate any sharp edges that could cut into the wires as well.

Got my headlight switch in from Haywire. The billet knob should go well with the gauge bezels. It's a 4 position switch so the brights are one pull further out than the dim beams are.

Time to start digging in on the wiring. Still not too fond of the idea of tackling this but here goes nothin......

Time to start digging in on the wiring. Still not too fond of the idea of tackling this but here goes nothin......

Piece of cake. Just take your time, make solid connections, solder and shrink tube everywhere you can. No problemaaaa!

How's the quality of that haywire switch. Looking into getting one. And an extra knob for a wiper switch to match. Pretty sad that that website doesn't have a PayPal option. A bit sceptical in my eyes. Thanks

How's the quality of that haywire switch. Looking into getting one. And an extra knob for a wiper switch to match. Pretty sad that that website doesn't have a PayPal option. A bit sceptical in my eyes. Thanks

Overall it looks nice and pulls in and out nicely. One thing that I noticed that I didn't like was that the shaft that knob is on feels loose in the clockwise/counterclockwise direction, which it doesn't turn. It just seems like it might rattle with vibration but it may not. We'll see once it's going. The other thing is that I don't really like the fact that the nut that attaches the switch to the panel really isn't cosmetically appealing. The gold colored threads are going to show with the thin nut at the base. I may add a spacer on the back side just so the threads don't show much. Also, they don't send you any wiring instructions with any of their switches. I called them and the guy couldn't tell me anything. He had to ask someone who did know and call me back and tell me the wiring instructions over the phone. I'm like really? You can't drop a simple piece of paper in the box to tell me how to wire this thing? That was kinda strange if you ask me.

KMJ valve covers came in. I ordered the satin but they were out so they asked about a polished set for no extra charge. I said send 'em! No pin holes and they fit the heads without issue.

Here's some of the wiring I've been at. I really have one spent about 4 actual days wiring and about the same time just thinking about working things out in my head.

Thanks. Haven't been updating much here. Been taking pictures with my phone and it's screwing them all up. But the wiring is practically done, just dropped off the 3rd member to get 4.10 gears and spool installed today, painted the K frame and upper control arms, made all my block off plates for the firewall, TTi X pipe is in the mail, hooked up the battery and nothing fried so far. All switches worked, headlights, tail lights, and gauges. I sent all my gauges back to Speedhut to change the back lighting since the red was just too dim. You spend that kind of money and you'd expect it to be better than what it was. BUT they're changing the color for free so that's nice. But I'm starting to feel like I'm on the home stretch now. Mostly everything is just simple assembly. I really need to get my motor guy going now because I need the motor to finish up the wiring. I haven't really needed it but now I kinda do. There's still a lot left to do on the car but at least it's all mostly simple assembly.

No picture updates since they're on my camera but I did get most of my wiring sorted out. I finally have working tail lights again and I have working reverse lights which I never had before! Everything else is checking out good too. Here's the SpeedHut gages lit up!

SpeedHut Guages: [ame]http://youtu.be/jvMLkxnGuYk[/ame]

only just stumbled across this build.. love your work mate, ill be keeping an eye on this. A lot of the things you are doing I have, or am planning to do myself.

-
Back