1969 Dodge Dart 4 door - Folding bench seat?

-
I'm sure it can be done but there is bracing behind the seat that would/ might be in the way

It is attached by two pieces of metal that fold over through the hoops attached to the seat. You have to remove the bottom seat first, then unfold the metal tabs, then lift the the seat off two hooks on the top. Like said above, there is an "X" brace on the back that would have to be cut out but then the car will be less stable...

It is attached by two pieces of metal that fold over through the hoops attached to the seat. You have to remove the bottom seat first, then unfold the metal tabs, then lift the the seat off two hooks on the top. Like said above, there is an "X" brace on the back that would have to be cut out but then the car will be less stable...
How much less stable?

How much less stable?
I don't know, the only time I have seen it done is for a racecar when they are adding a roll cage. Don't forget that these cars are unibody's, so every structural member is there for a reason to keep the body stiff. If it is just a driver with not much extra horsepower then I think it would be OK, I was a design engineer in my working life...

I would think boxing the area with square tubing with corner braces would solve the issue and leave a large opening. Then the hinge and latch become the only problem.

There's plenty of room for the neck of the bass to go right through without cutting a thing. No way would I consider cutting.

I don't know, the only time I have seen it done is for a racecar when they are adding a roll cage. Don't forget that these cars are unibody's, so every structural member is there for a reason to keep the body stiff. If it is just a driver with not much extra horsepower then I think it would be OK, I was a design engineer in my working life...
Oh okay thank you. Considering everyone else’s post I’ll see what I can do about making it foldable and then see about if I really need to cut or not.

I have a 7/8ths upright bass. It stands at about 6’1”
I'm REAL familiar with them. I played both 4/4 cello and 4/4 bass in grammar and high school. It'll fit if you get the back seat to fold down.

Put buckets in it? Can you get a 2 door bench to fit?

Have an upholstry shop install a fold down pass thru in the center of the seat . Like theg use for skiis on modern cars .

-
Back