1969 Dodge Dart GT freshen up

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
Talked to MRL for advice and the voodoo 60403 is going in.(big thanks to mike for the info) Ordered parts this morning. Taking apart tonight. Ordered a timing chain tensioner (we'll see what the chain looks like), cam with the better lifters, all the gaskets. Fingers crossed on the cam bearings.

Taking out the COMP XE284. Always planned on building a stroker but don't see it happening anytime soon.

so far I checked the compression before taking anything apart. 145-150 across all cylinders. Pulled the carb,coil, drained coolant. Hopefully get everything out tonight. Going to be busy the rest of the week.

pre swap video

[ame]http://youtu.be/jmwKtUBee6c[/ame]

Download-File

Download-File

What's the reason for the cam change? The lunati looks to be a touch smaller.

You are going to like that cam, I have the same one in my duster.

1450045603_zpsxiy997mm.jpg

1450048408_zpsd4xhf5hl.jpg

1450048407_zpsvndmhxu7.jpg

1450048410_zpskcdv4zwd.jpg

Must have dinged a cam bearing on the way out. But the rest of them didn't look great either. Motor is going to have to come out. Timing chain is going to be replaced for a true double roller. The cam plugs behind the retainer weren't there. While the engine is out going to check the mains/rod bearings. Also buy a kevko 5qt pan.

1450048405_zps6k9zm6sk.jpg

• Spark plugs
• Heater hose
• Clean intake
• Engine paint
• Engine bay paint
• Find new spot for coil
• Reseal thermostat housing
• Steal straps to attach electric fan to radiator
• Universal radiator mounts
• Clean water pump and timing cover
• Fix spark plug wire
• Install baseplate
• Fill hole in firewall
• Rework heater hose shut off valve
• Install u-joint steering coupler
• Transmission cooler lines
• Oil pickup check it ¼”
• oil galley plugs behind thrust plate

anybody using one of these to mount the coil in the stock location but upright?
msd-82131_ml.jpg

Thinking of doing something like this for my radiator mount.
Courier010.jpg

Courier014.jpg

SUM-380099_ml.jpg

maybe use some rubber bushings between the radiator and support.

A shining example of why it does not pay to cut corners. Just bite the bullet and pull it.

Good job.

1450462913_zps111k5qh5.jpg

Not sure if anything needs to be done here. I want to say I took off the 90 degree adapter and just screwed the filter in.

We took the recommendation of others and drilled 4 extra holes (for a total of 8 ) in the filter adapter plate to reduce the restrictions there. Of course, you want to take it off of the engine first.....

We took the recommendation of others and drilled 4 extra holes (for a total of 8) in the filter adapter plate to reduce the restrictions there. Of course, you want to take it off of the engine first.....

Yep. Drill 4 more holes in it and do it carefully. It will help a bunch with oil flow. Done on every build I do.

-
Back