1969 Dodge Dart Pro-Street 440

-
Yea sorry guys, the pictures make it look way better than they are. I painted them with eastwoods header paint. They are not fancy coated ones. They were pretty beat up when i got them and from sitting in a barn for the last 10 years they are even worse. I think 10 pounds of rust fell out from inside of them the first time i dropped the end on the ground trying to install them. Hahahaha.

I dont know of anyone who still makes headers like these. So thats why i dont care about cutting them to make them fit, because when they doe i'll have to make my own set any way.

I'm going to cut them tonight and post some pix of how they fit. Im currently looking for a oxy/acetylene torch to buy thats not 1000$ so i can eld them back up. Got a handle on one thats 400$ i might call him tonight about it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 908
Nice progress! You are doing something I've always wanted to do to my car but I don't think I have the balls to pull the trigger on that one.

Scott

Well the cut was a sucess the tubes fit!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 888
Have just enough room for the engine to rock... I have solid motor mounts, and a full roll cage, so i hope it wont sway too much

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 878
Now i just have to welt it back togeather!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 831
Ok need some help on this one. I and trying instal a wing but i cant seem to figure it out. I know that the thing hangs off the back of the trunk, but the wing is flat and the trunk is convex... How do i put a flat wing on a convex trunk???

I thought about shaving some of the center of the wing to follow the contour of the trunk, but i couldent make lines on my box ( my practis for cutting up the wing ) sweet enough to be confedent in cutting the real thing

Thoughts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 887
Well on the plus side i got the heder re welded and back in the car.... Bad news is that if fell behind the shock tower and is now wedged in there :banghead::eek:ops:

I guess 2morrows mission will be to cut a section off the tower and to have a way to get the header in and out with ease

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 809
Well on the plus side i got the heder re welded and back in the car.... Bad news is that if fell behind the shock tower and is now wedged in there :banghead::eek:ops:

I guess 2morrows mission will be to cut a section off the tower and to have a way to get the header in and out with ease

Can you take the motor mount bolts out. Jack the motor up a little.

it is easier than it looks. The wing is not on top of the trunk. it is behind it on a 90 degree piece of aluminum that is attached to the back side of the trunk.
I need to remove the wing tomorrow because I have a fiberglass unit coming in.
I will post some pics with it off so you can see (to much crap in the way to get it down last night. All of the parts for the supports were made out of cheap stock very easy if you have time.

Can you take the motor mount bolts out. Jack the motor up a little.

Those were equally a pain in the a$$ so im deff not messing with them. I ended up taking the valve cover off and it gave me a few more angles to get it out.

But i got it out. And re installed correctly!! Motor in the car finally since 1992...ish. From what my uncle tells me.

Looks like it wants to go fast, i hope it wants too go as fast as she looks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 799
it is easier than it looks. The wing is not on top of the trunk. it is behind it on a 90 degree piece of aluminum that is attached to the back side of the trunk.
I need to remove the wing tomorrow because I have a fiberglass unit coming in.
I will post some pics with it off so you can see (to much crap in the way to get it down last night. All of the parts for the supports were made out of cheap stock very easy if you have time.

Sweet cant wait, i think ill find out how to make a trunk hinge and order all the floor pans from jegs or something

Well the build is starting to slow down, im running out of parts laying around the gerage. Im now in the " i meed to buy that" phase.

On the plus side, im debt free so i can afford to spend a lil money here and there.

Today all we did was install the torque link on the motor. And measure how much pipe im going to need to install my custom trunk hinges. :blob:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 719
Boom! I made trunk hinges. They are just tacked togeather right now, final weld comming soon, but it took me all day because i measure, measure, measure and then cut. And measure again. Then weld. Heres the progress.

Old box n tape

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 675
Hinge down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 672
Hinge up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 655
Progress so far, metal hings, and they work. Got final weld and add some braces, then paint and make sure it works works

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 664
My trunk opens!!!! Im going to weld some triangle braces on them hinges, shes a lil wobbley, and slap on a coat of greay, or black paint and final bolt it up! Done!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 643
Well good news bad news, cleaning off the paper of the lexan windoes to install them and i put nail polis remover on the window to get the sticky leftovers off and it shattered the window :eek:ops::violent1::banghead: on the plus side my unkill sent my computer so now maybe i can try and start the engine????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 628
Computer!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 689
Theres a gap in this window any way, i need to make a longer one to close the gap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 606
Also had to change the pinion yolk because the rear end had the small mopar u joint. The guys making my drive shaft said that thing WILL snap under the torque of the 440 so im changing it out for a gm 1350 series joint. Pinions on the 8 3/4 rearend only come in 29 or 10 spline. In this case i have the 10.

Tech tip: the crush washer on the other side of that pinion has to be adjusted perfectly to fit the ring gear for the correct mesh pattern. What we do at the shop to loop hole process of taking apart the whole rear end and blah blah blah. Make a mark on both the pinion and the nut that holds it. Count the number of threads showing and count the number of turns it takes to remove the nut. To return the nut to the same spot rethread to the same amount of turns and line up your marks! You can see mine below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 702
-
Back