1969 Plymouth Satellite gas tank question

-

Bruce Fischer

Reaction score
Hi all.On my 1969 Plymouth Satellite on the gas tank I have the fuel line coming out of the fuel tank, another line coming out of the tank too that runs up under the body some where and a 3rd line that is very short and if I put more that a quarter of a tank it bubbles out of that short tube, it always smells of gas too. Any ideas???Thanks in advance. Bruce.
005.JPG

This is a vapor recovery system, new in 1969. As to where all the hoses routed, or which ones can be plugged, others will need to help.

This is a vapor recovery system, new in 1969. As to where all the hoses routed, or which ones can be plugged, others will need to help.

Are you certain? evap controls were introduced in CA in 70 so far as I knew. The factory book shows at least two vent lines. Neither is tied to the front of the car, or a "carbon can."

Oops, maybe got that wrong, sorry. Looked at FSM and one diagram shows a tank with a "double vent" system. It shows the gauge/fuel line more on the right side and this "double vent" more on the left side with two vent openings. One is a short vent that vents under the car (less than 12", "S" shaped) and the longer one that goes through trunk pan then exits back through pan again to vent. Could this be like yours?

Last edited:
That is what I saw. I don't understand the need for a second vent which seems to be physically very low. On the other hand, I had a 69 and 70 RR, and the filler is down "in" the bumper so the filler is very low

Oops, maybe got that wrong, sorry. Looked at FSM and one diagram shows a tank with a "double vent" system. It shows the gauge/fuel line more on the right side and this "double vent" more on the left side with two vent openings. One is a short vent that vents under the car (less than 12", "S" shaped) and the longer one that goes through trunk pan then exits back through pan again to vent. Could this be like yours?
Murray that sounds like the one I got ,but why will she only take a little gas and what about always smelling the gas smell?Thanks Bruce.

That is what I saw. I don't understand the need for a second vent which seems to be physically very low. On the other hand, I had a 69 and 70 RR, and the filler is down "in" the bumper so the filler is very low
67Dart, so is mine.It under the rear plate.Thanks Bruce.

............And yet another old annoying story from the old days.........

I was going "somewhere" I don't remember when. This is when I was stationed at NAS Miramar, San Diego. Had to gas up, pulled off the freeway at some handy exit, checked the oil, fueled up in "record time" and right back onto the freway, a "straight shot." Got 'er back up to speed and noticed considerably LESS than a full tank, WTF?? Turns out when I checked the oil, (I may have added some, don't remember) I had the trunk open. I had tossed the locking fuel cap in there and just plain forgot it. Roaring out onto the freeway, sucked about 1/2 tank right out of the filler This was the 70

70RR.jpg

A lot of things I don't understand here, but one little thing- lets be sure the tank is vented. I think on yours it should have a non-vented cap. Can we confirm that the vents are working? With the cap off- and I put a rubber hose on the end of the vent tube and blew on it- does the vent seem clear?

A lot of things I don't understand here, but one little thing- lets be sure the tank is vented. I think on yours it should have a non-vented cap. Can we confirm that the vents are working? With the cap off- and I put a rubber hose on the end of the vent tube and blew on it- does the vent seem clear?
Murrary, I will check it this week end Thanks.Bruce.

-
Back