1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
I think you speak for us all. But IMO the risk is not worth the reward. That engine could be minty fresh and perfect inside except for a rust ring and I wouldn’t want to try and find one matching piston. Let alone the impossibility of finding one if they’re custom. A broken ring land could set it back a long long way. If it were a 360 that sat 40 years I’d be pouring gas down its throat in the first 10 minutes. But a day 2 426 hemi garners a little more respect and care.
This^^^^^^I have no idea how it was parked 45+ years ago :thumbsup:

I’m all onboard for not cranking it until going through it. There may be some really special parts in that you don’t want to get damaged besides just the block and heads. But, I’m wondering if it’s a factory race Hemi from another car or an over the counter piece. There should be a pad on the drivers side of the block in front of the manifold with some information stamped on it, as well as some I’d numbers possibly stamped elsewhere depending upon year. And casting date numbers, too.
Agree, thanks. I will look for some numbers today.

Wow! I'm pretty certain the word "AWESOME" was created for this exact situation! Just wow, that is so unbelievably cool! I'm with the collective here, maintaining this as close to it is now, while refreshing the mechanicals. My opinion on the hood is green hood, black scoop, to match interior and roof.
Thank you. I think a black scoop will look great.

Ya the hood could get blended in. Probably why pops parked it, under hood fire by the looks of it.
I will keep the hood and paint the scoop black I think. I think the hood is that way because he had several different scoops on it, there are several holes for different mounts. He also cut the bracing out, possibly to for less weight.............

IMG_6684.JPG

This is a great story. You are very lucky. I had my chance in 2018 and it has been an amazing journey. I personally would keep the tunnel ram (love mine) and change as little as possible. Sounds like you are in good hands. Ask of the questions. Cant wait to watch it come to life.

This is a great story. You are very lucky. I had my chance in 2018 and it has been an amazing journey. I personally would keep the tunnel ram (love mine) and change as little as possible. Sounds like you are in good hands. Ask of the questions. Cant wait to watch it come to life.
Thank you! I am excited..........

Just a thought - the scoops are white (most) when new. You mentioned he had sever scoops on the car while building. Also, the bracing is cut out. I would bet he damaged the paint taking the bracing out, shot some red oxide primer on to protect the metal and installed the new scoop. Black hood or green hood and black scoop would look great. If it was me, I would pain the hood and scoop green. My gut says that is what he would have done. My 2¢

Just a thought - the scoops are white (most) when new. You mentioned he had sever scoops on the car while building. Also, the bracing is cut out. I would bet he damaged the paint taking the bracing out, shot some red oxide primer on to protect the metal and installed the new scoop. Black hood or green hood and black scoop would look great. If it was me, I would pain the hood and scoop green. My gut says that is what he would have done. My 2¢
Looks like from some other pics my MIL sent me, at least one differnt one. I am going to get original pics when we go back to NJ. You thinking paint all green? I like the thought of all black too.............

Looks like from some other pics my MIL sent me, at least one differnt one. I am going to get original pics when we go back to NJ. You thinking paint all green? I like the thought of all black too.............
Either would be good, he saved some of the green paint for a reason - just my thoughts. I love old race cars. Love the psychedelic paint jobs so many had, etc. I would be inclined to paint it green myself. It is yours, restore, preserve, take some liberties (like I did with mine). Whatever makes YOU happy, your key fits, nobody else's does!

I’m all onboard for not cranking it until going through it. There may be some really special parts in that you don’t want to get damaged besides just the block and heads. But, I’m wondering if it’s a factory race Hemi from another car or an over the counter piece. There should be a pad on the drivers side of the block in front of the manifold with some information stamped on it, as well as some I’d numbers possibly stamped elsewhere depending upon year. And casting date numbers, too.

Looked briefly and can not see any numbers. Oil filter mount is in front of manifold..............

IMG_7014.JPG

Either would be good, he saved some of the green paint for a reason - just my thoughts. I love old race cars. Love the psychedelic paint jobs so many had, etc. I would be inclined to paint it green myself. It is yours, restore, preserve, take some liberties (like I did with mine). Whatever makes YOU happy, your key fits, nobody else's does!
Makes sense on the green left on the hood................. :thumbsup:

Looked briefly and can not see any numbers. Oil filter mount is in front of manifold..............

View attachment 1716076094
There is a pad in front of the tunnel ram, just above the water pump inlet on driver's side. There will be numbers there, also, there will be numbers on the side of the block just above the oil pan on the passengers side.

Here are some scanned pics my MIL sent. I will get the originals when we go back to NJ.

@71GSSDemon just noticed the one pic looks like entire hood and scoop are Green :thumbsup:

View attachment 1716076095

View attachment 1716076096

View attachment 1716076097

View attachment 1716076098

View attachment 1716076099

View attachment 1716076100
Awesome to have all those pictures!!! So, when there was what looks like a "mopar pro stock scoop" it was green. And a hemi scoop for a time (interesting paint scheme or no paint look to it), then the snorkel was added later when the cross ram was changed to tunnel ram. Very cool. I personally would go green as that was likely the intent.

Awesome to have all those pictures!!! So, when there was what looks like a "mopar pro stock scoop" it was green. And a hemi scoop for a time (interesting paint scheme or no paint look to it), then the snorkel was added later when the cross ram was changed to tunnel ram. Very cool. I personally would go green as that was likely the intent.
She has a bunch more. I am going to make a book with everything I have. There is at least 1 other hood I saw in the garage in the rafters but did not pull it down, not sure if it is a Dart hood.

-
Back