1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
How far down the bore are they because those pistons look to be 12-1 cr. How thick are the head gaskets?
thought you would like that. This year my 3 personal Hemi engines, 1 got refreshed and 2 rebuilt. I've been helping a local builder in his shop do 3 or 4 just this year. My history of hemi engines goes back to The Rod Shop more than 50 years ago and local super/stock racers who ran SS/B and SS/D. My '68 roadrunner was completely built by TRS in 1970 to run A/S which it did and punished a lot of other cars. 100 or so class wins. I've ran one of my std. bore 426 Hemis in ex-Mike Fons Rod Shop Pro/Stock and it ran faster than the car did originally! So I've been around.

The Rod Shop.jpg

Last edited:
thought you would like that. This year my 3 personal Hemi engines, 1 got refreshed and 2 rebuilt. I've been helping a local builder in his shop do 3 or 4 just this year. My history of hemi engines goes back to The Rod Shop more than 50 years ago and local super/stock racers who ran SS/B and SS/D. My '68 roadrunner was completely built by TRS in 1970 to run A/S which it did and punished a lot of other cars. 100 or so class wins. I've ran one of my std. bore 426 Hemis in ex-Mike Fons Rod Shop Pro/Stock and it ran faster than the car did originally! So I've been around.
oh wow, cool, you should start a thread about that. i'm sure people would love to hear the stories and see the pictures.

View attachment 1716123209

I'm lovin. it...... and you are likely right in my back yard (I live in Bowling Green, OH) too. Love to meet the guys that have been there / done that....and ain't finished yet.

Side bar..... (our/ my buddy) Joe Pappas crew chiefed for Fons (71-72) and this Rod Shop Challenger before he worked for Don Carlton in 1973 on The Mopar Missile team. It was a natural because Fons was married (at the time) to Joes sister.

I'm lovin. it...... and you are likely right in my back yard (I live in Bowling Green, OH) too. Love to meet the guys that have been there / done that....and ain't finished yet.

Side bar..... (our/ my buddy) Joe Pappas crew chiefed for Fons (71-72) and this Rod Shop Challenger before he worked for Don Carlton in 1973 on The Mopar Missile team. It was a natural because Fons was married (at the time) to Joes sister.
I didn't comment here to hijack his restoration. I just wanted an answer as to how that cr was achieved. There numerous ways to get it and I was curious about 12-1 pistons coming out to 10.93 cr. My 3 engines are all over the place from 426 w/9-1, 426 w/10-1/4 or about and 478 w/10.92 using mopar .030 9-1/2 pistons.

but I will say more about local stories later on.

First, I want to thank everyone who has helped me with this project. Only in April of this year did I come here looking for answers after my FIL passed and I acquired the car. I received many different opinions which is typical of a project like this. However, after recommendations from some of you, I chose to take a chance on someone I never met to help me. He is as excited as I am to get this piece of history back on the road. I drove 6 hours one way with the car in tow to a one-man shop in Concord NC. On a Sunday at noon, I met Sean for the first time. The next morning, we started the disassembly process. I say we but it was all him, I took pictures and helped where I could. In one day, he dropped the entire engine and transmission out of the car and went to work. I documented everything here for all of you to see. Sean tore the entire engine and transmission apart in one day. By Tuesday morning, the front suspension was back in the car and the car was loaded on the trailer for the trip home.

Sean is very passionate and takes pride in everything he does and the engines he builds. He has been a member here for a long time and is quick to offer his knowledge and expertise to members here like me and I am truly grateful for this. I am fortunate to have Sean build this one-of-a-kind Hemi engine that has not run for the last 50 years. As well as helping me with the entire process of getting it on the road after 50 years. I can only hope my FIL would be proud of what I am doing with his car.

We are sometimes quick to react and take things as a personal attack when questioned by others who have not read this entire thread to see what has happened in a short time. A lot has gone on with the car and engine since April. I stated early on Sean is a large part of this preservation and he would answer questions and address issues and concerns here, he is the subject matter expert, after all, I am trusting him with this project and a one-of-a-kind 1966 Hemi.

This thread is my preservation of my FIL’s car. I am documenting everything to pay tribute and honor a man who was my best friend.

Got some small things done and checked off the list. Finished up routing the rear brake lines and parking brake cables. Also Installed the new fuel tank.

IMG_9034.jpeg

IMG_9037.jpeg

IMG_9040.jpeg

First, I want to thank everyone who has helped me with this project. Only in April of this year did I come here looking for answers after my FIL passed and I acquired the car. I received many different opinions which is typical of a project like this. However, after recommendations from some of you, I chose to take a chance on someone I never met to help me. He is as excited as I am to get this piece of history back on the road. I drove 6 hours one way with the car in tow to a one-man shop in Concord NC. On a Sunday at noon, I met Sean for the first time. The next morning, we started the disassembly process. I say we but it was all him, I took pictures and helped where I could. In one day, he dropped the entire engine and transmission out of the car and went to work. I documented everything here for all of you to see. Sean tore the entire engine and transmission apart in one day. By Tuesday morning, the front suspension was back in the car and the car was loaded on the trailer for the trip home.

Sean is very passionate and takes pride in everything he does and the engines he builds. He has been a member here for a long time and is quick to offer his knowledge and expertise to members here like me and I am truly grateful for this. I am fortunate to have Sean build this one-of-a-kind Hemi engine that has not run for the last 50 years. As well as helping me with the entire process of getting it on the road after 50 years. I can only hope my FIL would be proud of what I am doing with his car.

We are sometimes quick to react and take things as a personal attack when questioned by others who have not read this entire thread to see what has happened in a short time. A lot has gone on with the car and engine since April. I stated early on Sean is a large part of this preservation and he would answer questions and address issues and concerns here, he is the subject matter expert, after all, I am trusting him with this project and a one-of-a-kind 1966 Hemi.

This thread is my preservation of my FIL’s car. I am documenting everything to pay tribute and honor a man who was my best friend.
That cause we all know Sean is a stand up guy and he'll do you right on it, but now you know that for sure! It's gonna be somethin to behold when yall get it done.

That cause we all know Sean is a stand up guy and he'll do you right on it, but now you know that for sure! It's gonna be somethin to behold when yall get it done.
Sean is an absolutely stand up and excellent guy.

Remember when he helped out that other fella with the 340 disaster?

He is helping me out in a big way no questions asked. All he said to me is he wanted to jump in and help get me up and running in my retirement.

I went up to his shop, got a chance to this this threads HEMI in the shop, (oP is gonna love it.) which is a really nice and clean shop FWIW. Had a great conversation with him for a long while laughing a good bit.

Sharp fella in the biz for a long time now. He helps out a lot of fellas here.

Sean is an absolutely stand up and excellent guy.

Remember when he helped out that other fella with the 340 disaster?

He is helping me out in a big way no questions asked. All he said to me is he wanted to jump in and help get me up and running in my retirement.

I went up to his shop, got a chance to this this threads HEMI in the shop, (oP is gonna love it.) which is a really nice and clean shop FWIW. Had a great conversation with him for a long while laughing a good bit.

Sharp fella in the biz for a long time now. He helps out a lot of fellas here.
Yes I do! I wish I could afford to commute. He'd be doing my machine work as we have a shortage of good one around here.

Yes I do! I wish I could afford to commute. He'd be doing my machine work as we have a shortage of good one around here.
Wyman Barnett did the 572 Hemi in my Barracuda. He and Warren did ALL my machine work back in my drag racing days. Raced many years with zero issues. Great work at a fair price. Barnett Racing, in other words, Barnett Automotive.

I don’t know Sean @replicaracer43 personally, but I’ve seen enough interaction between him and other members here for a long time now to know his quality of character and skill, and for some reason it made sense to put @Maxcustody and him in touch very early in this cars resurrection. I’m glad I did and they are following through. Nice teamwork to everyone involved. One of these days when visiting family in NC I’d really like to shake some hands on that side of the country.

Wyman Barnett did the 572 Hemi in my Barracuda. He and Warren did ALL my machine work back in my drag racing days. Raced many years with zero issues. Great work at a fair price. Barnett Racing, in other words, Barnett Automotive.
Yup, I know right where they are, but I was unaware they still did machine work.

Ordered more parts today. Had to get the throttle cable bracket from Ray Barton and buy the crossram kit. Mancini didn’t have any stock and no ETA on arrival. I think we have been extremely lucky on finding parts.

-
Back