1970 360

-

69fstbkcuda

Reaction score
I purchased a 1970 360 with j heads today. I was wondering what the best rebuild kit is for HP, probley bore it .30 ? What's your stance on voodoo cams? Where's the best place online to buy a rebuild kit?

:newb:

Welcome aboard.

The best rebuild kit for HP? Humm, I like to go to summit racing and go to there budget rebuild kits but swap out the standard piston for the one of choice. They adjust the price difference. For the rebuild kit, you'll need to have the following info on hand;

Bore size, which should be determined after the machinest works on it.

OH, by the way, don't overbore the engine if you do not have to. Thicker cylinder walls are stiffer and last longer. The extra .030 is nothing in HP.

And the crank as well. Strip it all down and give the machinest the block to clean and inspect as well as the crank. Once he's done, then you can order a kit.

Voo Doo cams are reaaalllly nice units.

'71 i thinks.

Heres an example of a summit kit. Call them and sub out a set of slugs. All the kits appear to be priced the same. I entered a 030 overbore and a 10/10 crank.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-CSMHP812-311/

This appears to be the only problem I see so far with the kit and performance builds;

Approximate compression ratio 8.66:1 with a 68.4cc head.

J heads are routinely right about 72 cc's, 68 cc's is like a heavy head milling.

360s were available in 1971....

i had a 360 block that had 1970 casting dates on it..

I have heard of 1969 date coded 360s, but never seen one. With Chrysler it would not surprise me. I have seen a couple of 1970 date codes though. One was April if I remember correctly.

I like lunati vodoo cams. Same guy who did the ultradine cams designed those.

I have a 71 360 block. They were available in 71.

I knew a guy who really liked the Lunati Voodoo cams.

I like to run Rhoades variable duration lifters in my engines. They "bleed down" below 3500 rpm and take out about 15° duration and .025 lift at idle. Then gradually "pump up" by 3500 rpm to give full lift and druation of the cam. It's like having a variable cam. You get more bottom end and mid range torque and horsepower without sacrificing top end. I've been using them for over 20 years and have had no problems with them. I have run them over 200,000 miles with no problems.

I had one brand new lifter with "pits" or a "no clean up" where there was a small pit under the surface where it was polished and did not have any material there to polish. I called Rhoades and described it to them and they sent me another lifter to replace it and told me not to send the "defective" one back. They took my word and stood behind their product. Great company.

Summit has good prices like Rumblefish recommends. I would also call Mancini racing and see what packages they have to offer. I used to get "refresh" kits from them that had new rings, bearings, and complete Fel-pro rebuild gasket kits at very reasonable prices. they also offer similiar packages with pistons etc if you need them.

DO NOT BUY A NEW PURPLE SHAFT MOPAR PERFORMANCE CAM NEW. I have heard from more than one guy at Mancini Racing that the new purple shaft cams are junk/bad. Some come from Chrysler brand new in the box in two pieces and Chrysler will not replace or refund your money for them. Mancini cannot afford to cover warranty on Chrysler poor quality, and does not want to dump it on their customers, so they stopped carrying MOPAR PERFORMANCE PURPLE SHAFT CAMS. Also stay away from the Mopar Performance and Comp Cams top dead center tool. The threads are not cut right and they do not fit the spark plug hole. They are too hard to chase the threads with a die. Another "let the customer eat our quality defect" part.

Have a 1/71 casting date 360 that is out of a 71 camper. as far as ive read 71 is the 1st year 360 was produced. 71-73 trucks and campers. 74 they started putting them in cars when they stoped making 340s. Dont quote me i just read that some place. Have never seen one but would assume an early 71 could have a 70 built block. Just like early 68 darts had 67 build date 340 blocks. I have a 9/67 340 and i had a guy argue till he was blue in the face telling me i was nuts. It is what it is. Its a 340 out of an early 68 GTS.

That is a desirable block- purportedly has the 340-spec cylinder casting (THIIICK walls).

Oh, and yeah the early blocks would have been cast in 1970 if they were available as a '71 engine. I've two 400 blocks- one cast in August 1971, the other in September 1971

-
Back