1970 /6 Dart

-
Well, I'm officially the owner of two shot transmissions and a car that only has 2nd gear and reverse. I'll give a more complete update on my next day off. Im exhausted. Im going to bed.

Oh no. Was the transmission I gave you bad?

Yeah Rob, I think it just sat too long. And somewhere along the line, approximately a half quart of water made its way into the pan.

Been awhile since we shot the ****, Ive been thinking of you and kitty. After tommorrow I got the next three days off so I might be able to clear some time to sit down and call ya.

I'm keeping a eye on what you are doing.In 1970 my dad brought home a red Swinger with a black vinyl top.No power nothin'.He always drove big Chryslers and a 68 Coronet R/T(his first Dodge) that he gave to my brother so we were all shocked when he came home with the Dart. I took my drivers test in it,and been a fan of the slant since.We put on Chrome reverse wheels, E-70 tires,and a glass pack muffler.Some day I'll have a clone of that Dart when ever I fall on to a clean body.Watching this build is bringing back memories of fun times. Thank you and keep the photos of the work coming.

Well I sure am sorry about that. They are incredibly easy and cheap to build. Get the ATSG service group book and you can do it.

I'm keeping a eye on what you are doing.In 1970 my dad brought home a red Swinger with a black vinyl top.No power nothin'.He always drove big Chryslers and a 68 Coronet R/T(his first Dodge) that he gave to my brother so we were all shocked when he came home with the Dart. I took my drivers test in it,and been a fan of the slant since.We put on Chrome reverse wheels, E-70 tires,and a glass pack muffler.Some day I'll have a clone of that Dart when ever I fall on to a clean body.Watching this build is bringing back memories of fun times. Thank you and keep the photos of the work coming.
Hey man, thanks for sharing your story. I love how this car brings alot of cool old stories from generations I wasnt around to see. You got any pictures of your dads car?
Well I sure am sorry about that. They are incredibly easy and cheap to build. Get the ATSG service group book and you can do it.
Don't be man. I aint mad about it or nothing I mean hell it was free right?:D I think the transmission that came out the car is gonna go to a shop for a rebuild cause I dont have time to screw with it. I think I am gonna rebuild the one you gave me though, if it takes 6 months or whatever then no biggy.

Photos might take till this summer when I visit. I grew up in western Pa. Mom's still there (94 years young) But she has photo albums and I'm sure there are some of the Dart. Now you got me thinking.

Well, I dropped off my transmission yesterday at National Transmission in Longview, NC. They called this morning and said that no hard parts needed replacing other than the sprag.

So as of right now I'm looking at $900 for a soft part rebuild, new sprag, new converter and a TF-1 shift kit. Not bad.

Quick update before work. I forgot that I passed off the transmission to the shop with no filter screw bolts and it was missing 9 pan bolts. So this morning I went and tracked down the neccasary hardware in the garage and brought them to the shop. I got to see my transmission and it was beautiful. So clean. Im excited. Pics of the finished product will follow soon.

Turns out most of my problem was predictably, the rear band was burned and the front clutch pack was 100% shot. There were spots on the band and the clutch pack that were begining to turn blue.

Matt....check the pad I circled on your bellhousing to see if the number there matches your dash VIN.

Attachments

• Matts 904.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 279
I had no idea transmissions had vin stamps on them, I didnt even notice that number was there lol. After I get done eating I'll go pull that number. Thanks Jackie.

Well time for a quick update, the rebuilt trans is in the car and as it turns out it is numbers matching, go figure. The car actually drives now like its got a bit of power lol! I'm loving the shift kit, firm but not too firm, nice crisp and quick. The TF-1 makes a good match for my combo.

The new balljoints from PST are in as well. Huge difference! No death rattling and some nice tight steering! Front end alignment is next on the agenda, I need one bad. With how tight the steering is now its easy to tell how the car pulls to the right. Next week after payday I'll call my shop and schedule the alignment.

Awesome. Glad you got it goin again. Good to see somebody makin progress on something.

Well, the bug finally bit. After saying for the past few years that I'll put the Dart back on the road I finally got in gear.

How the car is currently configured: 225 super six, failing rebuilt 904, 3.55 7-1/4" stock drums, SS springs, kyb's

First thing I did was address the fact that I never bothered to hunt and install an automatic choke on the 2 barrel (I might have one idk) so last weekend I installed a manual choke to make starting the car easier.

This weekend I installed new kyb gas-adjust shocks to replace the Monroe's that have been on there since Dad owned the car.

Next on the agenda is a cheap oil change to kinda flush things out. I'll do a real one soon after. I also want to replace all my old rock hard vacuum lines.

Things I need: Everything. Just kidding. Most immediately I need a battery, wipers, I kinda need a windshield soon, and I'm also looking for a 4-speed bellhousing.
KIMG0638.JPG
KIMG0636.JPG
KIMG0639.JPG

Well you all know how things to good to pass up always come along when you really don't need to spend the money?

Well yesterday me and my wonderful fiancee took a ride up to West Virginia and met with @Rick Wellman to pick up this bad boy. We had a short chat and checked out his really cool '64 Cuda he's doing a Magnum swap into.

The engine isn't really anything special, just a bone stock slant that runs, I'm not sure if I'm going to use it or just store it for now. I didn't really need it but the price was affordable so why not?

KIMG0646.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Matt. Nice to have met with you. Hope all goes well on your build. Call me if there’s anything I can help you with . Parts or advice. But you seemed to know a lot about mopars for your young age. Good luck

Thanks Matt. Nice to have met with you. Hope all goes well on your build. Call me if there’s anything I can help you with . Parts or advice. But you seemed to know a lot about mopars for your young age. Good luck
Thanks Rick! I'll keep you in mind for sure!

Having found an adequate battery at a yard sale for $40 that was almost new, I decided to tag the Dart and start driving around town with her. I also got some new wiper blades and took her to work a couple days. Day number 2 had me lose my brakes on the way to lunch. I managed to limp her home on the parking brake and downshifting. It appears I've blown the front right wheel cylinder and I'm not sure why the back brakes weren't stopping the car with the pedal. Here soon I will tear into the brakes and see what's up.

Last edited:
Also, last weekend I made it out to Farmington to enjoy the show and the racing. I didn't have much spending money at all but figured I may as well try to sift through the swap meet. As I was getting towards the end of the line I finally found something I could afford. I brought home these nice green kick panels for a whole $20 and painted them up in Rust-Oleum satin black. I haven't installed them yet but they came out nice.

KIMG0657.JPG
KIMG0658.JPG

Just a quick update, I've been driving the Dart pretty much daily for the last 6 months or so, I've been through the brakes and got her where she stops now. I still haven't installed those kick panels yet but boy the paint on em sure is nice lol. The car has been running rough lately and a compression test revealed number 1 cylinder to be weak at 29psi with ring related issues so..... Today I took a trip up to my sister's house where that engine I bought from Rick is stored and I worked on getting it put on an engine stand and degreaser so I can prep it for paint. I'm hoping in the next month or so to put it in

20190331_164910.jpg
20190331_164918.jpg
20190331_164924.jpg

What are you gonna do with the old engine?

-
Back