1970 Dart neutral start switch

-
Good question! Up till then and maybe still there was none. The correct starter relay for stick cars was internally grounded to the case and did not require a separate ground signal for start like auto cars from 67-up were. If it was on a 1970 model it must be clutch activated and installed on the pedal in some form. All my clutch cars were pre 70 so not sure.

WAIT A MINUTE let's get our terminology correct. I've always called this a "clutch safety" but the 70 service manual calls it................

clutchstart.jpg

and yes, 70 cars should have had them, and that was the first year. They attached up under the dash so that the clutch pedal activated the switch, and it grounded the switch wire with the clutch depressed. This wire fed out through the firewall on a separate single grommet, separate from the main bulkhead connector, and connected to one of the two flag push on terminals on the starter relay. This provided the ground for the relay coil, so that when the key was twisted to start, the relay had a ground path

WAIT A MINUTE let's get our terminology correct. I've always called this a "clutch safety" but the 70 service manual calls it................

View attachment 1715478753

and yes, 70 cars should have had them, and that was the first year. They attached up under the dash so that the clutch pedal activated the switch, and it grounded the switch wire with the clutch depressed. This wire fed out through the firewall on a separate single grommet, separate from the main bulkhead connector, and connected to one of the two flag push on terminals on the starter relay. This provided the ground for the relay coil, so that when the key was twisted to start, the relay had a ground path

And the dark green goes to the G terminal on the starter relay. Were as on auto cars it was usually brown from the Neutral safety switch.

-
Back