1970 Dodge Dart 408 with a T5 transmission? Can it be done?

-

schultec14

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a 1970 dodge dart that I recently built a step over mild 408 stroker engine for, and I am currently running a built 904 lock-up behind it, but I really want to have a manual transmission and an overdrive. Can I and how do I put a T5 transmission behind the small block in this car? I really want to do this if its possible with no huge tunnel mods...but I am running a full bench seat up front too...I know they make a tailshaft with the shifter spot moved foreward for the T5 as far as I know, but I do not know any dimensions yet. How can I make this happen?
Thank you for your time,
-ANTHONY

You will need a bellhousing from QuickTime. They make a conversion bell housing to bolt up to a T5 and a small block Mopar. Stock clutch linkage will work. If you use a T5 from a Mustang, you will have to use a Mustang clutch. You will have to modify your existing transmission crossmember to except the T5 transmission. You will also have to cut out the upper portion of the transmission framing so that the transmission clears in the tunnel. you will have to make a hole in the tunnel for the shifter as well. You will also need to get a speedometer cable from a Ford transmission then modify the cluster end of the cable to allow it to adapt to your speedo gauge. You will have to make an access hole beside the tunnel to run the speedo cable to your cluster. You'll have to change the speedometer gear in the transmission to match your rear end ratio. Also a new length driveshaft will be needed.
remember that a World Class T5 CAN HANDLE 300 FOOT POUNDS OF TORQUE, OR 350 foot pounds of torque if you get the better world-class T5.
we installed a T5 in a 1971 Plymouth scamp. Third gear is typically the weak point for this T5.
Good luck.

onig

A T5? What the hell? Yeah it can be done.....but not for long. LMAO. Go ahead and get an 833 ready for a backup. You'll need it. T5s are junk. Even the world class units. I've repaired and replaced so many in STOCK Rustangs at the dealer under warranty, I've lost count. Do it. You'll find out.

I have to agree the WC-T5 isnt even close to strong enough if your car hooks at all.

Go with tremac 600. will not break....I have it behind my 422 small block w2 heads roller cam works great.

G-Force or Astro A5 T5 will live happily behind your motor, will shift better and won't lock you out of gear like the Tremec.

Ok thank you for all of the input so far. Soo I figured I'd go with the T5 cause it seemed relatively easy to put in...but can it be built up? What is the next easiest but stronger 5 speed transmission to install? tremec, G force, or A5 T5, I did look at a T56 also, would that have a lot of work involved? I actually think i'm floating above 400 ft/lbs of torque when I mentioned mild* too....
Thanks,
-ANTHONY

nothing and i repeat NOTHING will ever shift as nice as a t5...no tremec or 833 will come close...and heck if you break it, they are cheap as heck to fix...unless you break it everytime your at the track, then id run it (actually, im running one right now)

they dont get enough credit...its all in HOW you drive, and WHAT clutch is in it...those are two very important things that are overlooked by many...my car only runs 13's right now, but its heavier than a mustang, with bigger tires and more power too...building a 360 over the winter to hopefully put me in the 11's, and the t5 will be getting new syncrhos and refresh and going back in

like i said, once i spit parts all over the track, then ill change...until then, ill take the butter smooth shifts and overdrive over an overpriced tremec or the 833 (overdrive is realllll nice...once you have it, you wont want to get rid of it)

onig covered everything you need to know about swapping it in...there is a t5 thread on here with some more info...if you want to know more pm me

I wouldnt ever go near a g-force...try promotion or astro's A5, but even then i dont know thats big cash for t5 stuff...run it stock with a cluster plate, good clutch, and good driving and have some fun!

Hi Folks,

nice topic!
Does anyone have a picture of a T5 installed behind an ABODY? I need to look what should be machined in tunnel, before install it.

Thank You,
Bruno

-
Back