1970 Dodge Dart Dash Removal

-

PikaPhantom

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to this old cars stuff. I just started getting into it. I bought a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger and right now I'm trying to remove the dash to inspect the wires. If anyone could tell me how i should go about doing that that would be really helpful. Thanks!

EDIT: Hey guys. Thanks for the thorough explanations but just to clarify, I’m only talking about removing the instrument cluster. Do you guys have any pics or explanations as to how to do that? Sorry about the confusion. Thanks!

Last edited:
If you are trying to remove the entire dash as one unit, most will tell you that the windshield has to come out to remove the top 5 fasteners! However, I have removed a few dashes by takin out the guage cluster, radio and glovebox liner, and gone up under and cut the stem off of the top bolts from underneath and popped the last thread loose with a pry bar! It's a lot of work, especially if you are just doing it to check the wiring! If you are going to go through all of that, you might as well paint the dash frame, have your bezels redone, a new pad and of course new defrost vent tubes, as those will undoubtably get trashed trying to get them off! Still interested in taking it out??? I'll take some pics, I have one to remove and will be doing it from underneath!!

If you are trying to remove the entire dash as one unit, most will tell you that the windshield has to come out to remove the top 5 fasteners! However, I have removed a few dashes by takin out the guage cluster, radio and glovebox liner, and gone up under and cut the stem off of the top bolts from underneath and popped the last thread loose with a pry bar! It's a lot of work, especially if you are just doing it to check the wiring! If you are going to go through all of that, you might as well paint the dash frame, have your bezels redone, a new pad and of course new defrost vent tubes, as those will undoubtably get trashed trying to get them off! Still interested in taking it out??? I'll take some pics, I have one to remove and will be doing it from underneath!!
Please do!

If your just checking wiring it's easier to pull the front seat or seats out and lay on your back on the floorboard to check the wiring, don't have to mess with removing a windshield and you can get at most of wiring from underside. But if not as agile removing windshield to pull frame might be the way to go.

First thing I would do is verify that the windshield is sealed good. If it is, I would really hate to disturb it. If it leaks, take it out, then the dash. Do everything possible under there (wiper seals/ heater box...and then put it back. I know the dash can be taken out from the inside, but sounds like a lot of work to inspect wiring.

It's best to remove the windshield so you can get to the bolts along the front of the dash...

If you are just trying to verify the wiring, I would recommend just pulling the cluster... Pulling the whole dash is much more work, especially getting the heater control cables hooked back up... You can get to the wiring good enough by pulling the gauge cluster... You may want to loosen the bolts that bolt the steering column to the dash to let the steering column lower out of the way to make more clearance to get the cluster out...

I have a 70 Dart dash out of the car I can get a few pictures for you...

Ive never removed the dash from a 70 Dart. But in my 66 Dart as mentioned above the windshield needed to be removed for dash to come out. Now as cosgig and others have said you could remove the heads of the bolts from underneath but Im sure thats not easy. Once the dash is out your probably going to find a 47 year old harness and its going to be hard and stiff and needing replacement if saftey is your concern.
The reason I say this is because you can do a replacement without removing the dash. I cut and custom built my harness one wire at a time so Im sure a purchased harness can be done. It will be easier to do if you remove the front seats and the steering column should be dropped. No matter which direction you head it wont be easy.
Should you decide to remove the dash when you go to put it back in replace the locating studs with bolts coming up from the bottom.
DSCN4637.JPG

This was some great advise I was given by a member here and it will allow me to remove the dash in the future with the windshield still in. (It still wont be easy!)
And as as cosgig mentioned you may end up painting and detailing your dash which will run into more time and more $$$$$. It never ends!
Have fun and best of luck
Rod

Here are the main attaching points. This is a 71 Valiant that we are working on - but is the same as a Dart. There are 5 bolts across the front of the dash, then two on the sides that have a slot to slide in...

Here's the driver's side to the center bolt (#3):

DSC03292 B3.jpg

Here's the center bolt (#3) to the pass side:

DSC03290 B2.jpg

Here are the two lower ones that you just need to loosen a few threads, then there is a slot in the dash frame that lets you rotate the dash rearward and out. Leave the screws in with a few threads gap when installing the dash and use them to rotate the dash forward until you line up the front 5 bolts...

Here's the one on the driver's side bottom of the dash:

DSC03294 B2.jpg

Here's the one under the passenger side:

DSC03296 B2.jpg

Then you have to disconnect all the heater, wiring, etc. to remove the dash completely...

Last edited:
Here's some shots of a 70 Dart dash that we have removed from the car and the harness mostly removed for reference:

DSC03307 B.jpg

DSC03298 B.jpg

DSC03304 B.jpg

DSC03303 B.jpg

DSC03301 B.jpg

DSC03314 B.jpg

DSC03316 B.jpg

DSC03309 B.jpg

DSC03310 B.jpg

DSC03312 B.jpg

DSC03318 B.jpg

DSC03321 B.jpg

Many factory service manuals are free downloads. They detail "how to" diagnose and repair most everything about the car including the electrical. I don't recall seeing "how to" for entire dash removal in those manuals.
The wire is the pipe that the current travels through. And like plumbing, it's rarely the root problem. The plumbing fittings are just like electrical connectors, the plumbing fixtures are just like manually operated electrical switches, being the root problem 99% of the time. These are the items that plumbers, like dealership service techs, will service. A plumber wont pull all the pipe out of your home. A vehicle service tech would not remove all the wire from a vehicle.
Where the harness connectors attach to the printed circuit boards on the instrument panel is the perfect example of, "It was fine before it was disturbed". Like some pipe fittings, laying hands upon it did more harm than good. The sad part... Whether you pull the entire dash or the instrument panel only, you will lay hands upon those "fittings". Good luck either way.
I must add this... I find it puzzling that some owners will buy a entire new under dash harness and attach it too all their same old switches.

Hey guys. Thanks for the thorough explanations but just to clarify, I’m only talking about removing the instrument cluster. Do you guys have any pics or explanations as to how to do that? Sorry about the confusion. Thanks!

Hey guys. Thanks for the thorough explanations but just to clarify, I’m only talking about removing the instrument cluster. Do you guys have any pics or explanations as to how to do that? Sorry about the confusion. Thanks!
Look for the factory service manual. Mymopar.com, I think

You will have to reach under the dash and untwist the speedometer cable from the cluster then remove the screws on the front side of the bezel, you might be able to wiggle it out without loosening the steering column or removing the steering wheel.

remove the screws from the cluster that hold it in, reach behind or pull it out enough to disconnect the speedo cable and electrical connections. Take pictures of the electrical connections, so you know where they go when putting it back together.

Then loosen the bolts for the steering column on the bottom of the dash and let it drop down a bit so you can get the cluster out. The steering wheel can make it more difficult to remove if you don't allow it to drop down a bit... Don't worry, you can leave the bolts in at the bottom on the floor, just allow it to move down enough to get the cluster clear...

-
Back