-

mrtires24

Reaction score
Here's a pic,

This car has a bit of a story...

image.jpg

View attachment image.jpg

Last edited:
About 6 years ago I was engaged and looking for a car to build for our wedding. I browsed craigslist, other advertisements and nocked on doors.

Half the fun is finding "the car" meeting new people and hearing there stories.

I knew about this duster for some time ( driving past it every other week) One day back in 2008 I noticed the owner of this duster outside washing his cavalier. I pulled a U-turn and hopped out to talk to him.

I introduced myself, and asked if the duster might be something he would sell.

He said " no, I will restore it one day. I have owned it since new"

He did allow me to look the car over and we shared stories. A nice car, 340 4 Spd. Sitting since the 80's. And currently rested in a carport with all 4 deflated tires.

Before I left, I told the man that if it is still here in 5 -10 years, you can bet I will knock on your door again.

He chuckled and said "ok"

duster 2.jpg

Last edited:
Shortly after, I drove down and purchased my current duster to build, in sumner wash.
The build thread for that car...
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=33454
Months passed by and I continued to drive my junk removal truck past this car weekly. Always thinking that one day it might be gone.

Months turned to years until 2013. One day I noticed the owner outside in the driveway. I wanted to stop by and ask again, but I was late for my next job so kept on driving.

Dec 2013, I was in the area and had time to stop in.

I nocked on the door....

A woman answered. I said the following...

Hi, my name is Phil. About 6 years ago I talked to your husband about his duster. He said he didn't want to sell it, but I told him that if it doesn't move in 5 years or so, I would be back...is your husband home?

Unfortunately he passed away recently. She said.

I felt so bad. Tried to leave, but the woman was so nice and understanding that I didn't know. I left her my card and asked her to call me when she was ready.....

From dec 2013 till today jan 30 2014 I was in contact with the woman, made an offer, had to wait for others to look at it. And was tempted to purchase other cars that were for sale as well.

Today, I officially purchased the car. But there were some conditions...
1. I can't use it for parts.
2. They want a ride in it when I get it drivable or restored.
3. I told them I will provide a link to this forum to watch the progress.
I am excited to get my teeth into the car, but I am not sure if it would be better to leave as a survivor or restore.

Fender tag is in place, original drive train is in the car, and I will bet the build sheet is under the seat.

image 2.jpg

This seams like such a time capsule.

Mostly original, with original spare and trunk mat. Original 1982 licence plate from the last time it was insured.

More pics and details to come...

This seams like such a time capsule.

Mostly original, with original spare and truck mat. Original 1982 licence plate from the last time it was insured.

More pics and details to come...

I would clean the heck out of it, try to buff the paint, and leave it if it looks good. Replace the fuel system and give it a good tune up, check the brakes and go crusin. Congrats on the purchase, looks like a sweet car!!! I also like the old wheels, I would run them too. :glasses7:

Very cool. A real shame you didn't get to speak with him again before he passed away. I think you will do what is right with it. It will just come to you.

cool car!
i'm with most on the clean make safe,and leave as is(even the slots)and enjoy...

I would leave it as is, maybe contact a pro about bringing the paint back, paint less dent repair, minor touch up etc... Nice work!

Cool story! I like it that they want to ride in it again. The guy I got my Demon from said the same thing. Curious to see the route you take with it. Congrats!

Awesome!! Leave it original!!!!!!!

I looked at this car back in Dec. Its a nice car for around here.The woman was very nice . Glad to see someone get the car that will appreciate it.

Very cool story. I would clean it up and get it driving for now so you can take his widow for a ride in it. Who knows when she sees it cleaned up and driving you may both like it and decide to leave it in survivor condition.

Nice score, I want to see the engine.

Probably have to go through the fuel system and brakes if it's been sitting since 1982.

-
Back