1970 duster 340 4spd TIME CAPSULE!

-
love it! That is a dream for all of us to get a car like that. The story is awesome also. Clean and service it then drive it.

The engine bay was painted. What about the rest of the body.

Looks awesome! Sure appears to be low on rust. Are you sure you want to take on such a good start? If not ship it over to me and I'll give it a try!! Damn, right on, nice car.

Had a couple people come out to help pick up the duster last night...good thing because I wasn't able to take any pics. Thanks brad for posting the pics. What did you get rocky?

I will try and take some today in the daylight.

Great score! Get it running and driveing first. Then decide what you want to do. When you take them apart, they stay apart for a while. GOOD LUCK

You might be able to bring the paint back a bit.

Check out this video were they restore the paint on a barn find Porsche. The guy in the video is a bit OCD but that is why he does good work!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Mz6YNb4uA"]Barn Find: Classic Porsche 912 Restoration -- /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube[/ame]

more videos

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYed_Hnrql4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYed_Hnrql4[/ame]

What a great find as well as a great story to go with it.
I can't wait to see more pics!
Love the old B.C. plates on it, it sure brings back memories!
I'm from B.C. originally.
Can't wait to see more pics and progress.......

Do yourself and the hobby a favor and clean then take hundreds of photo's of the car and every detail no matter how small. when you think you couldn't possibly take anymore, take more.....

Do yourself and the hobby a favor and clean then take hundreds of photo's of the car and every detail no matter how small. when you think you couldn't possibly take anymore, take more.....

That would be awesome. I still have my 70 340 duster that back in the 80's I drove, raced and abused. I am planning to do a full resto starting in the next few years, so this would be very helpful. I wouldn't mind seeing the car sometime on my next trip to Vancouver if that would be possible. Some time this spring I will be there for work.

Like most say "keep it original".
When I got my Challenger back in 2002, I had thoughts about doing some work to take care of some obvious (to me anyway) areas that needed some work. Thankfully I got some good advise from those wiser than me. Other than a real good clean up and taking care of mechanical issues to make it safe, I left it as it was when the original owner parked it around 1980-81. As I was told, "they're only virgins once". Any original parts I removed, I've kept (including 2 original Goodyear tires & original rims) and should I ever sell the car,all those parts will go with it.
If you keep it as original as possible, you'll get as many compliments on your car as the kilobuck car parked next to you, maybe more.

My plans are to clean it up, make it safe and get it running and drive, then decide. Looks as though more work has been done to it than I originally thought. Still really cool.

Here is fender tag...
VS29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Special
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H0B: 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission
FY1: Top Banana Exterior Color
14X9: Trim - Unknown, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Black
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
A10: Build Date: October 10

FY1: Top Banana Top Color
A62: Rallye Instrument Cluster Package
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
N41: Dual Exhaust
N85: Tachometer
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)

V6X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
Y07: Build to Canada Specs
3N2: Unknown

image dirty.jpg
"Pic

Last edited:
Looked under the back seat...no build sheet. Any suggestions as to where it might be?

Did you remove the back part of the back seat? Usually one there...Also under front seat? Taped to top of heater box behind glove box, You have to pull the sill plates but they are also found under carpet sometimes....D

Thanks. The hunt will continue. And cleaning and work will start when it gets warmer. I'm a sucker to the cold.

Turns out I am having truck issues....the ironic thing is that I was havering truck issues when I bought my first duster. Both times, truck stopped running. Both times after I payed for the car ( dusters) but before I picked them up.

This road I'm on seam awfully familiar...

If you find no sheet one of two possibilities exist..One, the original owner found it/them first & put them away for safe keeping or two, there was never one in the car from the beginning which is doubtful due to it being a Hamtramck car. Did you ask his wife if there was a folder perhaps of documents with the car? This senario is not uncommon...hope you find it & good luck with the truck! :-D

-
Back