1970 DUSTER 440 4spd 8 3/4 posi

-
Nice to hear everything is going good for you Phil.. Congrats to you all on the new addition on the way! Looking forward to your detailed installation pics again.

Grant

Thanks grant.

Looks like my car will be getting a little spruced up this year.

Had my headliner laying in the sun yesterday. I now have it hanging from the rafters in my shop.

Bought a shark tooth grill from a fabo member.

Going get my rims blasted and re painted.

All this while trying to finish building my hit to pass car and anXiously waiting the arrival of our second child.

Phil

Shark tooth grill arrived. The headliner has been hanging in the shop for a couple weeks now.

I will have to get some pics and start some work

Phil

Where to start...

First off, June 1 st I received an early birthday present. The birth of my son Paxton. We are now a family of 4 with one boy and one girl. Now I have to try and get the duster ready for the fathers day car show.

I have removed my grill and will soon put on my shark tooth grill.

As for the headliner. I still do not see why this is going to be difficult. I have spent some extra time with the removal of it. Paying close attention to how it was installed.

I also used a marker and wrote on all side windows and windshield, prior to headliner removal, where screws should go and how far away from window edge they are located. Prior to removal I also felt with my finders how easy it would be to find the screw holes, and it seams pretty easy. Especially with the assistance of my notes on the windows.

Once the headliner was removed, I layed the old one on the ground with the rods still in them. for those who dont know, The headliner has cloth tubes on the back side that the rods slide into. But the cloth tubes have small holes that the installer cut in them where the rods come out of the tubes. In other words, the rods do not go through the whole tube end to end.

Because of this I used a piece of paper and noted down the distance between each hole for each rod. I also noticed that each rod is color coded, but with different colors at each end. So I also noted which rod had what colors and if the color was drivers or passenger side.

it is calling for a lot of rain so I dont know when i will do my next step. what i plan to do is find the center of the new headliner from center of whidshield to center of rear window. I will then devide the measurements of the rod holes in two and measure each way from the center of the headliner out to the edges of each tube. and I will mark where holes should be cut.

I will try and upload pics.

So far, total time involved is about 2.5 hours. But I took my time being very carfull to notice every bit of detail during removal. I am sure I could have ripped the headliner out in half an hour if i wanted to.

As for the clips, I managed to break 2 of them. Lucky for me, I have a 1967 new yorker demo derby car that I am building. And I practiced the removal on that car first. Low and behold, it has the same headliner bow clips, so I have a bunch of spares.

the rear wood cover that goes below the rear window is toast. Pretty sure i will use it as a template to make a new one.

Phil

everyone likes pics

Attachments

• downloaded june 2012 001.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 408
  • downloaded june 2012 002.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 423
  • downloaded june 2012 003.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 423
  • downloaded june 2012 004.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 414
Lookin good so far,I mark a number on each headliner bow with a piece of tape so they dont get mixed up...

Well the big fathers day car show is coming up next weekend and i owed Phil a favor so i gave his Duster a 3 stage cut polish..check out the new grill too :D

Attachments

• demon june 015.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 353
  • demon june 014.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 359
  • demon june 013.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 361
  • demon june 012.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 376
  • demon june 005.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 359
  • demon june 016.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 379
Great work and congratulations on the new addition!
I just got done with the headliner in my 71 Duster also. I'll pass on a couple of tips that may be helpful to you:

1) Mark the locations of all the screw holes and what attaches to them on the drip rails or on a piece of paper.

2) Put all the screws about 1/2 way in so they stick out.

3) Get a standard soldering iron and some new razor blades

4) Once the headliner is in place and glued, go back with the soldering iron and touch it to the screw heads burning a small hole. (If you press the headliner against the area where the screws are its really easy to locate them) Unscrew the screws and push the headliner past them to remove them. Then go back with the iron and make the hole slightly bigger.

5) New sharp razor blades are a must for trimming and making small precise cuts.

Its much easier to do it this way than to hunt for a screw hole through the new headliner. The dome light hole has to be cut. though. Again if the screws for it are in place and sticking up you can locate the center to cut easier.

Keep up the great work!

Well, the headliner is in, but I am going to go over it again. I didn't know what glue to use. Any advice?

It does have some wrinkles in it, but due to the fact I have not used glue, I am sure it will smooth out the second time around.

I just don't have much time to get this car looking ok befor the car show. Busy weekend. Gotta hit to pass race with my mopar on saturday. Then a car show with the duster Sunday. Turns out my 2 year old daughter is scared of the car. My wife says, that's gotta change. Ha ha.

Still gotta get the interior together, paint the scoop and install again, and get tires for my rims

As for the car, it looks awesome. I highly recommend brad with polishing vehicles. He knows his stuff. If any local people needs there car to shine again. Use brad. My car was practically turning white. Feels like a baby's bum now....I would know, changing a bunch lately.

-
Back