1970 DUSTER 440 4spd 8 3/4 posi

-
Well I took the engine out. Hit the headers a little bit by the starter, and put it back in. I tried turning it over by key again, and it seamed to work great. But unfortunatly it happend again. I looked under the car and I could see that sometimes the starter wouldn't dis-engage. I think it may be a faulty starter. I have talked to my parts guy, and he said to bring it in, and exchange it.

here are some pics...
engine going in...or was it coming out? duno, doing it soo many times

carparts015.jpg

Here is the header/starter clearance. needed a little dinging here

carparts010.jpg

My new starter won't be in till tomarrow, so I guess No updates till later. I hope it fixes the binding and poor ingaging noise

Phil

why do you need a starter it just adds weight! Looks like you are making great progress and I look forward to seeing it every time I log on.

why do you need a starter it just adds weight! Looks like you are making great progress and I look forward to seeing it every time I log on.

Thanks

its really great to here comments like that.

I am just really hoping that I can finish it for the wedding.

Phil

engine and tranny are in!!!!!!!:cheers:

And I'm not guna take them out!

I had to get a new starter. this one doesn't seam to do the binding or grinding like the last one.

If all goes well, I can fire it up next week :headbang:

My gas tank and sending unit arrived today too!!!!!

only a mater of time befor I :burnout:

YAY

Phil

Good to hear your Big Block is in for good:cheers: Won't be long and we'll watch for a yellow streak around town??? I think you said you are in the Hammond area? Be sure to do a big tire heater up along Westfield ave near 205st, a buddy of mine from work lives up there, he's the biggest Mopar Nut I've meet!!! Drives all his cars down the road sideways:thebirdm: Maybe you'll have it ready to show off at the A and Dub on a thurs nite soon?? Keep showin us pics.:cheers:

I want to bring it out to A&W but I still need an inspection on it.

as far on working on it goes...I painted my tank straps today, I won't really be working on it till monday.

My tranny mount bolts don't line up with the tranny. They are about a 1/2 an inch away. I am using cross member, and tranny mount from an auto 4dr dart. is it different than a 4 spd?

I can allways fab something up with my welder.

Phil

mrtires, this is the first time I have looked at this thread. Nice work! Looks like you got the 'Big Block in and out game' down!

What hood scoop are you going to run?
YB

mrtires, this is the first time I have looked at this thread. Nice work! Looks like you got the 'Big Block in and out game' down!

What hood scoop are you going to run?
YB

I wasn't going to put a scoop on it, I am just woried about getting it running. I do have a 340 scoop as well as a aluminum scoop with the 3 flaps in it. It would look cool and all, but I don't know

whoa. i just found this thread. need more pics!
its a good thing you found a girl who understands what you do.
i also married a mopar girl. 2 years now.
i feel damn fortunate having someone who understands and doesn't complain about me buying parts.

only thing she asks is
"how much more horsepower is that going to give you?"
"is that going to drop my ETs?"
"how come you have a 440 and i only get a 383?"

:love5:

good luck to you man! have an awesome wedding!

Well I know I told you all that the engine is in for good and all. Unfortunatly the header is still rubbing on the drivers T bar. I don't want to be driving the car like that. I was discouraged about it all day, and I would have ratherd cut my yard and do dishes than work on the car....So, when I had the chance today...I cut the yard and did the dishes.

I'll takle it tomarrow. Just not impressed. I guess I should be used to it by now.

I have had some requests of more pics...any prefrances?

also, If I give my engine specs, can someone tell me what the possible horse power would be. I heard their is a computer thingy that can do that.

Phil

Its in, and I am sure that their isn't any clearance issues.

had to take out 2 times today to get it right.

Tranny Mount lines up, and is bolted on.

I am just looking into my radiator.

Here is the most current pic of the engine in the car. with a couple things bolted onto it now.
carparts009.jpg

This is what my sending unit looked like. Looks like you would find this in the ocean. My tank didn't look any better. Never mind the pin holes. I will be putting my new one in tomarrow.
carparts016.jpg

Phil

Going out to put my tank in.

Lets see how long it takes.

Try and have pics once in.

Phil

Ok my tank is in.

First shot isn't the best, But you can see my solid trunk!

second shot is a little better.
carparts011-1.jpg

carparts012.jpg

I know, I know, the pumpkin is kinda ugly, I should have painted it. But remember, I have a deadline here. I'm not makeing a show car. July 19th will be here befor I know it.

Now for the fuel lines, and rad...HMMM

Phil

Just bought My rad today. everything is coming along nicely.

I think I should have it running in a week or two. Hopefully next week. :)

Phil

Hello Again. I have another update.

I have installed my Radiator, I will send pics soon. I have mounted my Coil on my inner fender, as well as I have gotten all my clutch linkage in... again. I am only a phew steps away from fireing it up.

My post has gotten dry with just me talking to myself...But thats OK, Kinda cool for me to look back on it all. I know once I have it running, and have a video of it running, I will get tones of feedback from you all.

I was haveing a heck of a time priming the Oil in the engine. I was turning the car over with the starter, and it was taking for ever. Don't know what anyone here uses as a trick, but I thought I would let some people in on a secret. The oil pump drive is fed by a 5/16 hex head. I think it is the ford 351 or 390 is driven by the same size hex head, but without the cam gear...and it is longer. For $15 I bought a ford oil pump drive put it in the engine, attached a 5/16th sochet on a drill and spun it away. I had preasure in seconds. Good little trick. My buddie who is a mechanic thought of it.

good to know. Keep it in mind.

I have fully installed my trio guages now with working, heat oil preasure, and electricle. I used a copper line instead of the crappy plastic.

Tomarrow, I will be running my Fuel lines and putting in my holley blue fuel pump. Anyone have any advive on to where to put the pump. I have been told to put it close to the tank. One person said on the frame, one said in the trunk. any comments?

all I have to do to fire it up is run heater hoses, rad hoses, put in the plugs, and pug wires, and run the gas lines.

I WILL FIRE IT UP BEFOR THIS WEEKEND!

Phil

Haven't responded Phil, but have been watching :). Its coming along great, and it looks like you are on schedule.

PS We're all waitin for the wedding pics of your bride getting in the car lol.

Grant

I should really know by now that If I say I will have somthing done SOON....I just cursed myself.

I don't know if I'll have the car running in 2 days. My flaring tool broke, and my car also doesn't have spark now ( it did befor)

So I guess I will be playing around for a little while more. Should be safe to say I will have it running in a week. But I still will need to get the axles in the rear. Waiting to get the bearings pressed on/off.

On a side note, I thought I would put up some more pics here.

Enjoy.

This is all my clutch linkage parts from Brewers performance. It is all in the car now, and works perfectly, I highly recomend this kit for a big block 4 spd conversion

carparts005.jpg

Here is my radiator mock up
Duster023.jpg

Duster024.jpg

and this is the rad with hoses top and bottom.
Duster026.jpg

Duster025.jpg

Its all coming along, I am so very close to being finished, I want to have a break, but I know I just need to get it done!

Phil

IT FIRED UP...
:cheers:
IT STARTED!!!!!!

I spent the day going over my wireing, I must have had a bad ground somwhere. I removed everything, and put it all back together. I also used a test light on my 73 dart, and compared it to my duster..and everything was the same. so I poured a little gas down the carb....and it started!!!! It only ran for a second....but it started!

still need to get those fuel lines done though.

I am happy!
:-D:-D:-D:-D

This is as good as my car gets right now.
Just a short clip

Really nothing special.

You're going great guns on that beastie, and it's looking great. Where did you get your radiator and gas tank from?

I got the radiator from a parts store down here called Lordco. I think it is a BC only company. Kinda like napa, or T&T...but better. Its called a hot rod rad, for dodges, or fords. Worked really well. I went to the parts store with a couple coat hangers bent like the rad hoses that I would need, and I found two that would work. I just had to just them a bit. They look like they were made for it though.

The Tank and sending unit I bought from Rock auto parts. They are down in the states. The cheapest I found it locally was $400 + tax, and then another $80+ tax for the sending unit. Through Rockauto, I bought it for $360,including the sending unit and including taxes, and it was shipped to my door. Here is a link to the tank. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1231906,parttype,6268

I am running ahead of schedule I think. My birthday is June 2nd, I am hoping to have it insured for my Birthday. No doubt it will be in the wedding for sure at this point.

Just need to finish up on these things.

Fuel lines
fuel pump
Figuring out the center link/oil pan problem.
instalation of the drive shaft
R/R of Exle bearings
Instalation of axles
Bleed brakes
E brake cable hook up.
and a handfull of other small things
then, it has to go for a provincial inspection.

Not too much left

Phil

-
Back