1970 DUSTER 440 4spd 8 3/4 posi

-
inspections are are like 10$ here! wow thats high

dont know what bc is like but in alberta an out of province inspection is brutal. I brought 5 new trucks here from san antonio texas and needed to get a O,O,P inspection and 2 of them failed,,,,AND THEY WHERE NEW!!!!When I bought my duster I searched to make sure it was last registered in alberta just to get away from the OOPI

thanks for all the replies.

as far as leaving the Ebrake cable..I can't. It will fail the inspection. I can't insure it with a failed inspection. This is a big inspection, and the hole car gets looked over.

Us canadians have some great rules up here, sounds prety easy for all you to get an out of country car insured. as far as exhaust goes. If it was as easy as adding dumps on the back I would be done by now. But the vehicle inspection stipulates that the exhaust system mys leave the perimeter of the vehicle.
Dumps will = fail

The issue i am having with my ebrake is that it doesn't look like the same set up as my other A bodies. This one just has one long cable from the hand brake. it comes through the floor on the drivers side of the car, on the outside of the frame/connectors. The 2 e brake cables from each wheel will both meet up on the drivers side rear, but there is no original mounting aparatus for them, I don't know if it got cut off by the previouse owner or what.

The way it looks, I have to weld an andle iron somewhere with two holes drilled in it for the two e brake cables, and then shorten the cable coming from the hand brake.

I have a Mig welder, I think the exaust would be easier ;) but both require a little more time then just a day.

Once again,,,research it first,,,That car will have to be in perfect mech shape to pass an out of province inspection,any home made brake modifications better look stock as well as including any emmissions stuff (year depending of course) I even hate to say it but they could even have trouble will that engine conversion. Save yourself a big hassle and get it appraised as a classic (modified) insured as just that then wait a year and register as a daily driver then. The 10 year inspection is childs play to pass then,,,,,hope im wrong but i can't see alberta being too much different from bc

thanks for all the replies.

as far as leaving the Ebrake cable..I can't. It will fail the inspection. I can't insure it with a failed inspection. This is a big inspection, and the hole car gets looked over.

Us canadians have some great rules up here, sounds prety easy for all you to get an out of country car insured. as far as exhaust goes. If it was as easy as adding dumps on the back I would be done by now. But the vehicle inspection stipulates that the exhaust system mys leave the perimeter of the vehicle.
Dumps will = fail

The issue i am having with my ebrake is that it doesn't look like the same set up as my other A bodies. This one just has one long cable from the hand brake. it comes through the floor on the drivers side of the car, on the outside of the frame/connectors. The 2 e brake cables from each wheel will both meet up on the drivers side rear, but there is no original mounting aparatus for them, I don't know if it got cut off by the previouse owner or what.

The way it looks, I have to weld an andle iron somewhere with two holes drilled in it for the two e brake cables, and then shorten the cable coming from the hand brake.

I have a Mig welder, I think the exaust would be easier ;) but both require a little more time then just a day.

Once again,,,research it first,,,That car will have to be in perfect mech shape to pass an out of province inspection,any home made brake modifications better look stock as well as including any emmissions stuff (year depending of course) I even hate to say it but they could even have trouble will that engine conversion. Save yourself a big hassle and get it appraised as a classic (modified) insured as just that then wait a year and register as a daily driver then. The 10 year inspection is childs play to pass then,,,,,hope im wrong but i can't see alberta being too much different from bc

I have never even heard of classic modified. I can't insure it till its passed a provincial inspection. My freind is a mechanic, he has been looking over things as I go, and he will be inspecting it, as long as I have enought time to complete everything.

I have my exhaust all out again, and I have put in the tail pipes first , and they look good, mufflers are back on, but now I will have to do some welding to make the pipes from the header to the mufflers. I'll work on it tonight.

Phil

You might need 2 inspections, a federal and Provincial inspection, make sure your shop can do both, not all shops are licenced to do the Federal inspection.

Talk to a few shops and see which ones are a little more lieniant, some shops can be real grinders because they usually get the work on the things they catch wrong.

Ask them specifically about the Exhaust, I have a feeling for a federal and provincial inspection that it might not be allowed to exit before the rear tire.

Another part they might bite you on is the relocation of the rear leaf springs, hopefully they don't see it but they might want a reciept from a ticketed welder for the welding job on the frame, only a ticketed welder can weld on any part of a frame between the front and rear tires.

Hope everything works out and you get the car passed and insured before the wedding, by the sounds of it its just some finishing details.

My vote is to put up as much of the exhaust as you can and take the rest to a shop to get the over axle segment bent and installed.

From my understanding a federal inspection is for all cars 15 years or newer, and they have to be completed within 15 days of bringing the car across the boarder. if it is not completed you are contacted and told to get the inspection or the vehicle will be deported. I don't have to do that one. just the provincial. my first car was from the USA, and it didn't have to have a federal inspection.

You are right about the leaf springs...same thing with the frame conectors. you can't modifie these items in any way, however, because the have been modified for the better, they won't be a problem. I have been talking to a handfull of mechanics.

Phil

do you mean oil pan?

I think what he means are the two pieces that hold the turkey pan down. They're about 1/8" thick and about 1/2" wide and go between the heads-one front and one rear. The bolts dont just clamp directly onto the pan.

Mike

do you mean oil pan?

nope ,,its the tin pan below the intake manifold,,,it stops crap from falling on the lifters,,look at my engine in Mopar general discussions in the "It took forever but its finally done " post. I think u can see the front one good there its real visible in the first pic and its black

I did the leaf spring relocating kit on my 65 barracuda and where you have to cut out the rear frame rail is where the rear e-brake cable guides are spot welded to. I used a spot weld cutter and removed the e-brake guides before I cut the frame rails. Sounds like to me that whoever did the spring relocation on your car wasn't too concerned with e-brakes on the car and they didn't bother to re install the cable guides. I would find a parts car and go with a spot weld cutter and a drill and remove the guides you need if you want the factory look. Otherwise you can just make some yourself and find where to locate them on the spring relocation box by installing your rear e-brake cables first.

not really going for the factory look right now, Just wanting it insured. its not a show car, and nor will it be. I don't have the patients to build a show car. thats just not me.

Phil

nope ,,its the tin pan below the intake manifold,,,it stops crap from falling on the lifters,,look at my engine in Mopar general discussions in the "It took forever but its finally done " post. I think u can see the front one good there its real visible in the first pic and its black

Yup, You are right, I don't have those. The c ar never came with them. I put "tough stuff under it, it should do the trick for now, but It will be something that I will have to look for.

Thanks
Phil

Yup, You are right, I don't have those. The c ar never came with them. I put "tough stuff under it, it should do the trick for now, but It will be something that I will have to look for.

Thanks
Phil

I think I still have both of them in my tool box at home. I'lll have to check tonight. Let me know if you want them.

Mike

you Canadian's go through a lot of bullshit! To be honest, I would just have someone do it. That way if something happens (failure wise) you can pass the buck and say "so and so" did it.

I think I still have both of them in my tool box at home. I'lll have to check tonight. Let me know if you want them.

Mike

I'll let you know, but to be honest, its not on my priority list right now. But.....how much $

Phil

I'll let you know, but to be honest, its not on my priority list right now. But.....how much $

Phil

Find out what shipping would be from Greer, SC (29650) and send me a check for that amount. I 'll send them to you when I get it. They've been in my tool box for a while now and I've have sold my 440.

Mike

update, Exhaust is almost all modified an in for good. I had to go on the other side of the leaf spring, once it passes inspection, I can take the tail pipes off and put dumps on if I want. Once they are in I will post pics of it all on my restoration page ( but this isn't a resto FYI)

Phil

Like I said, I am not conserned with that right now.

My exhaust has been fully installed now, and my E brake cable is functional now too.

I had my mechanic look over it a bit, looks like I will need to change a couple more things.

Phil

Thanks adam, I was just going to update this, Its good you beat me to it, that way everything is in order.

I'm gooing to be buying a ball joint, and a idler arm tomarrow, and then I will be working on the car. I am hoping to have it inspected on Monday. I am suposed to work on friday ( tomarrow) but I don't think I will, I'll find someone to work for me. Got to get this done!

we will see :clock:

Phil

put in my idler arm, and ball joints yesterday. I will get it inspected Monday or tuesday. I just need to bleed the brakes better, and get the air cleane cut down a bit, and get the whidsheild whiper sqwerter wourking.

Phil

-
Back