1970 Front Sway Bar

-

limegreen70

Pokorny Enterprise's
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but what do people do or use for the Bushings for a 67-72 Front sway bar where it mounts to the frame?

I did. I see they have a kit that replaces the stock set up. That might be my answer.
I don't know what your meaning of a "kit" is, but in the past i have purchased individual sway bar bushings from various vendors on the internet.
The parent company, Rock Auto, and Mopar parts vendors.
Numerous sources.
Do more homework.

I don't know what your meaning of a "kit" is, but in the past i have purchased individual sway bar bushings from various vendors on the internet.
The parent company, Rock Auto, and Mopar parts vendors.
Numerous sources.
Do more homework.
This says it's a Kit. I seen the individual bushings as well.

Screenshot_20220418-230302_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220418-230302_eBay.jpg

Or.
Are your metal mounts missing, too?
no but I have seen others have to cut the stock metal mount just to replace the bushings, then weld it back up. That looked like a real hassle to me. I was hoping something came along that got rid of that design. I asked to see if there were easier solutions.

I've replaced them by lubing up the new Energy Suspension bushings with silicone grease. No cutting and welding necessary.

no but I have seen others have to cut the stock metal mount just to replace the bushings, then weld it back up. That looked like a real hassle to me. I was hoping something came along that got rid of that design. I asked to see if there were easier solutions.
Yep, to make your life a whole lot easier, you gonna hafta cut the weld on the bushing housing, to get the new one in, then weld the seam back up.
Some say use a block of wood, C clamps, a **** load of slippery grease, and try and press them in.
That NEVER worked for me.

I used two pairs of Channellock pliers with rubber over the jaws to keep from chewing up the new bushings.

Your a better man than me, in trying that method of repair.

I doubt that. I had the bar out and on the workbench. I can't imagine trying to do it under the car. It has to be all disconnected to slide the bushings over the bar anyway.
Every year when I change the oil, I loosen up the bracket and pump in lots of silicone grease on both the bar and bracket sides of the bushing with a grease needle. It's a pain in the neck, but gotta be better than replacing the bushings again. Next time I'm going to try the Moog K750074 sway bar links. They're supposed to be a direct replacement, but much more effective than the old style. We'll see.

AMG_K750074_P01_BAC__ra_p.jpg

Cut the weld on one side then spread it a little. Slip in the new triangle bushing squeeze and reweld. Everyone makes a project out of it. Or just by the kit. Let them hang an look cool . I would prefer the OEM look with the factory bar. Some like the gold bling hanging down. So the question is what do you want? I am sure any local weld shop will weld that up for $20

I had a 69 GTS that the sway bar brackets were welded to the frame from the factory. It was a stupid idea from the get-go. Unless you're doing a restoration, cut them off, grind the area smooth, paint to match, drill the holes for the new brackets & install them. DONE! Next time you have to replace them, (they should last a long time) it will be a much easier job. Just make sure the weight of the car is on the suspension before you torque any of the bolts/fasteners. That holds true with ANY suspension part, control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, leaf spring bushings etc. P.S., still interested in your Duster. Don't forget about me. :thumbsup:

I've been through that, never really got the results I was looking for my advice is just moved to a hellwig oversized sway bar and kit and be done with it you'll be glad you did. My two cents

The Energy Suspension mounts are far superior to the stock ones and easy to service. They can be serviced without removing the bar because the bushings are split side to side. If you ever go to a bigger bar you can just change the ES bushings and install the bar. You do have to add one hole for mounting bolts besides using the original ones (makes it easy - bolt on with original bolt holes and drill through the additional hole in the bracket - easy peasy). Only complaint is that the zerts for greasing the bushings are on the bottom of the bracket and get ripped off the first time you come up to a high concrete parking stop - replace zerts with cap screws.

-
Back