"1970 Pro Touring Dart Build"

-
Thanks for that info! I am interested in going with a rack and pinion eventually. For now I'll stick with my manual gear box;It fit's my budget!!

The brake kit is here!!! WOOO HOOOO
Time to mock up a 245 front tire.

2012-05-16_16-39-42_26.jpg

I got the inside scoop and talked this barely used setup from a certain someone on here.

Its the ECI Mustang II "Big" Brake Kit
http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/mustang_pinto_discbrake_conversions.html

We've done it! ECI has developed a Mustang II/ Pinto BIG BRAKE KIT that's perfect for your street rod.
By combining components from existing kits, we can now offer 11" diameter rotors, BIG GM calipers and our aluminum hubs.
This kit provides 65% more braking with no wheel offset! No other "Big Brake Kit" can offer this at any price!

I believe I can upgrade to 13" rotors with this setup.

The mustang wheels im looking at only come in 17x9 or 18x9 for the fronts and that's more then wide enough.

Well judging by the photoshop in your avatar you wont be happy with the 245s. You can do it on paper all day long but real world pictures is what you need. Top pic is 245/17x9, bottom is 275/17x9

Attachments

• IMG_3544.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,192
  • DSCN0683-L.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,274
The 245 (9.6 inches) is the tire width.
275 is 10.8" wide, there is no way I'm fitting an almost 11" wide tire up front.

Will be going with a 285 or 295 tire in back.
I have room to go A LOT wider but my bank account would commit suicide if I tried it.

If you can fit the wheel, that 275 is only like 1/4" more on each side tops depending on tire manufacturer. Alot of them are perfectly flush with the lip of the wheel. Im not trying to be an a$$ and I understand if you already bought tires. Just see alot of people under tire a car when they dont have to. I dont know how much more $ a 275 is over a 245 but dont be afraid of them being to big. I also dont know how low you plan on going either but a 275 also gives you ground clearance. Awesome build keep it up ill shut up about tires now lol!

Did you put that FR500 on your Dart?
Thats the wheel I was going to try to fit on my Dart. I'd have to hog out the hub area so the mustang II dust cap will fit through it. The 9" wide wheel will limit my turning radius quite a bit and i'll have to do some massaging of the inner fender for a little more clearance. At this point its looking to be more work then its worth.
Back to the drawing board to find wheels in 17x8 for the front and 17x10 or larger for the rear.
Looking for wheels is a big PITA. I'm finding 17x8's all over the place, but can't find a matching wheel in 17x10 or larger.

Anyone have some wheel ideas for me?

Did you put that FR500 on your Dart?
Thats the wheel I was going to try to fit on my Dart. I'd have to hog out the hub area so the mustang II dust cap will fit through it. The 9" wide wheel will limit my turning radius quite a bit and i'll have to do some massaging of the inner fender for a little more clearance. At this point its looking to be more work then its worth.
Back to the drawing board to find wheels in 17x8 for the front and 17x10 or larger for the rear.
Looking for wheels is a big PITA. I'm finding 17x8's all over the place, but can't find a matching wheel in 17x10 or larger.

Anyone have some wheel ideas for me?

Does the Alter K increase turning radius over stock? I have AR Shelby Redline wheels 18x9 6.5bs on mine. 6.125-6.25 would've been PERFECT but oh well. I have zero issues turning whatsoever. Does the Alter K increase track width over stock? I've had several people ask me "how the hell did you fit those on the front?" My answer is always "I bolted them on". I have pics somewhere of the frame rails steering lock to lock and the worst spot has 3/8" but the tire would be pulled away while driving though.

Check Americanmuscle.com, they have all their dimensions listed and have a few 17" and larger wheels with 8,9,10, and 10.5 wide wheel options

Does the Alter K increase turning radius over stock? I have AR Shelby Redline wheels 18x9 6.5bs on mine. 6.125-6.25 would've been PERFECT but oh well. I have zero issues turning whatsoever. Does the Alter K increase track width over stock? I've had several people ask me "how the hell did you fit those on the front?" My answer is always "I bolted them on". I have pics somewhere of the frame rails steering lock to lock and the worst spot has 3/8" but the tire would be pulled away while driving though.

Its not an alterkation, its a Hemi Denny k. And with the rack it sure seems like i get a heck of alot more turning radius.

Its not an alterkation, its a Hemi Denny k. And with the rack it sure seems like i get a heck of alot more turning radius.

Well first off, sorry to Denny! I wouldnt be surprised if you do have more steering angle. Seriously though if you can fit a 9 wide wheel, go for the 275 tire you wont be disappointed. Im fitting Dr. Diff 14" front brakes on my car and they move the track out a 1/4" per side. On top of that my wheel spokes curve in and hit the caliper so im going with 3/8" wheel spacers to get rid of that issue and my wheel and tire combo still clears the fender lips at full bump. Although I dont have full steering at full bump, I dont plan on spending much time if any at full bump anyway. So my 18x9 wheels with 6.57" backspacing COULD of had about 5 7/8" backspacing and still worked good. One other thing that I didnt consider when fitting and buying damn wheels was factoring in negative camber. I currently run .75 negative and if I do happen to have a little fender lip contact at the top I can go to 1 degree negative and problem solved. Most of the Pro Touring guys run 1.5 degrees negative and say tire wear is fine.

...... thing that I didnt consider when fitting and buying damn wheels was factoring in negative camber. I currently run .75 negative and if I do happen to have a little fender lip contact at the top I can go to 1 degree negative and problem solved. Most of the Pro Touring guys run 1.5 degrees negative and say tire wear is fine.

please educate me...why so much negative camber for the street....I can only assume for better (?) cornering

if you can fit a 9 wide wheel, go for the 275 tire you wont be disappointed.
I don't quite understand why you want to push so hard for that last bit of front
tire width.

Wouldn't a 245 tire on say, an 8" rim, turn in a lot easier and with no spacing issues.

It seams like the farther in you can pull the outer edge of the wheel/tire, the lower
the car will look.

everytime I think I got em happy.....they add another 1"

please educate me...why so much negative camber for the street....I can only assume for better (?) cornering

Yes most road course/autox setups run quite a bit of negative camber. Seems to help alot in the corners but im sure there is some trade off in braking you would think.

I don't quite understand why you want to push so hard for that last bit of front
tire width.

Wouldn't a 245 tire on say, an 8" rim, turn in a lot easier and with no spacing issues.

It seams like the farther in you can pull the outer edge of the wheel/tire, the lower
the car will look.
That is kinda my point if a guy can fit the 9 wide wheel by all means run a 275. If a 245 is all you want to run, use an 8 wide wheel. This a "Pro Touring" build and so to heck with pizza cutters put some meat under there!

-
Back