1970 Swinger 340 Hemi Orange 4 speed

-
Got some more done today. I drip checked all the seams and finished welding up the rear bumper panel... No more rust on the back half of one side!! Next weekend I'll weld the bumper bracket on. I seam sealed and painted black in behind there, It was black originally with orange overspray in there anyways. I might recreate the dip line in behind the quarter and seal the upper half grey.. I might be getting to fussy now.

Here's some more progress... Tomorrow I will put a second coat of sound deadener inside the quarter... I am replicating the way the factory did it. This resto rick stuff works awesome!!

They didn't punch the hole exactly center... Once the tube is in its not noticeable.

Nice work...It's refreshing to see stuff done the correct way, there's a lot of half-assed work that people on this his forum are proud to post, glad to see your doing it right. Keep up the good work.

Nice work...It's refreshing to see stuff done the correct way, there's a lot of half-assed work that people on this his forum are proud to post, glad to see your doing it right. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the compliment! I can see what you mean. What really doesn't make sense to me is people will spend $1200 on new quarters and weld them on with a $100 flux core welder!

Here's an update on the sound deadener. I put a second coat on tonight. It looks almost identical to what was on my original quarter... Maybe one more coat and it will be perfect!

Here's the last of my Chromated epoxy... It's a different colour, but is the same stuff I'm using. I wish they never phased this stuff out. I could push my car outside for 10yrs in the rain/snow and this stuff would never let go.

I decided to add a third coat and add some sloppiness to it just like it was... It's hard making a mess of something when you spend all this time trying to do everything perfect! Haha. I used almost half a gallon on this one quarter, so I'll need to get some more for my new door skins.

Finally got some Hemi Orange on it! Even tho nobody will ever see it once it's togather..

I had to do some cutting and welding on the lower quarter before I epoxied and painted it. The lower part of the quarter where it attaches to the trunk drop off was nowhere near the same angle as the trunk extension.

It just amazes me every time I look at this thread at all the hard work your putting into the car and doing it correctly too! :cheers:

Kudos to you for doing it right! You're doing an awesome job, I can't wait to see the final result!. Keep up the progress.

Great work! I look forward to your updates. If you don't mind me asking, what gun and pressure are you using to get the texture on the sound deadener.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I blame the paint fumes on this... I forgot to paint the lower part of the quarter where it goes in behind the trunk drop off, so I sprayed that today. Hopefully tonight I'll set the quarter back on, mark all the spots where I'll be plug welding. Then I'll take it back off and punch all the holes in it, grind a little bit of the epoxy off where I'll be welding and then spray the weld thru primer on.. So many steps! Maybe tomorrow I'll start welding it on. I can weld 90% of the quarter on, but I have to wait for my new rear valiance to finish welding the lower part of the quarter on. I want everything to fit right. I'll be picking that up next weekend.

Shutz undercoat gun. I sprayed that sound deadener at a low pressure. Resto rick sends you instructions and tips on how to spray it. He recommends 60psi and I ranged between 60-40psi and built it up over three days. If you just put it on heavy and thick it will go smooth.

Holes punched and epoxy ground away.

Copper weld thru primer applied along all seams being welded.

I cheated and panel bonded this one area because I didn't wanna lay in the trunk and weld it.

I got the quarter welded to the door striker and it fought me! The quarter had a bulge to it and didn't follow the door so I had to pull it in with a giant c clamp and it took a lot of trial and error but it's now better then it ever was!

You can see where it was fighting me by the worn off e coat

I finished up most of my welding on the quarter yesterday and now I can finish it off once I mount the new valiance. Tomorrow's plan is to finish the welding, sandblast all the areas I've welded, put a skim coat of firbeglass over them, sand and epoxy. Then it's on to the door skin!

[ame="http://s228.photobucket.com/user/Turbo_Rampage/media/5FEE1912-A50A-402D-A2EB-F1B24AE00EB3_zps7vmieans.png.html"]5FEE1912-A50A-402D-A2EB-F1B24AE00EB3_zps7vmieans.png Photo by Turbo_Rampage | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee186/Turbo_Rampage/5FEE1912-A50A-402D-A2EB-F1B24AE00EB3_zps7vmieans.p@@AMEPARAM@@228.photobucket.com/albums/ee186/Turbo_Rampage/5FEE1912-A50A-402D-A2EB-F1B24AE00EB3_zps7vmieans.p[/ame]

I picked up my AMD metal too and it looks great as usual. The door skins are perfect and will save me so much time when it comes to doing the bodywork! Plus I'll be able to paint in behind the door/factory sound deaden.

-L&R door skins.
-L&R firewall to inner fender brackets.
-Rear valiance.
-Four speed hump.

Quarter panel is welded on completely! I sandblasted all my welds, ground them with 36 grit and started applying fiberglass. I'll pick away at it during the week.

Rust!

Thanks for the comments guys! Today I will finish up sanding the edges and epoxy them. I just roughed out the bodywork and I will do the finish work once all the metal work is done on the car. I just want to seal everything up since it will be a while before I get to that point. I will strip the e coat off when the time comes and epoxy it and then do my bodywork/filler over top of that. All panels will be skim coated with filler and blocked... The only way to get a straight car!

Finished all the rough stage of the bodywork. Stripped the ecoat with a DA (80 grit) and put a coat of glasurit epoxy primer on. I don't wanna chance my exterior paint job with the black ecoat, so I took it off just in case, I know this glasurit epoxy sticks!!

Now I'm on to the door! After that I'll start all over again on the other side..

I love your resto thread and your attention to detail! I can't wait to see it all come together. I too have an EV2 70 Swinger 340. Its almost a twin of this one except for mine came with a 3spd stick originally. Great work so far, keep it going!!

Super nice

Thanks!

I love your resto thread and your attention to detail! I can't wait to see it all come together. I too have an EV2 70 Swinger 340. Its almost a twin of this one except for mine came with a 3spd stick originally. Great work so far, keep it going!!

Thanks!! I bet yours is rust free eh? Do you have any pics? I'd love to see some!

I got the door skin off tonight, so now I'll sandblast, epoxy and paint in behind. I will also apply the sound deadener to the new skin. The door skin will be panel bonded on as well to prevent rust and make it twice as rigid as factory.

-
Back