1970 Swinger 340 Hemi Orange 4 speed

-
looks good

funny thing about the daytonas. I had a 87 and a 88 both were the Shelby-z editions. Very fun first cars.

keep up the good work on your car.

looks good

funny thing about the daytonas. I had a 87 and a 88 both were the Shelby-z editions. Very fun first cars.

keep up the good work on your car.

Thanks! Yeah they are fun little cars and can be pretty quick! I kinda miss my blue one..

So I finished drilling all the holes on the hood for the scoops and it came out perfect! You can't even tell it was ever a non 340 hood. I ended up making a jig at work to hold the hole saw straight and prevent it from walking around like they usually do with a drill bit as a guide. Here's some pics to help anyone doing this... The hole saw it 4-1/8" and gives you the exact hole size as original.

I dropped my door shell off at the dippers and I'll get it back this week. Hopefully this weekend I can finish the door and move on to the rocker.

I am going to drop the hood off at the dippers as well... Trunk Lid too.

That looks great randy...

Thanks!

I think that would fit my vert...... Your going to be driving that before you know it.
Jim

Haha I'd like to think so, but I'm so far away from that day!

I got my door shell back today so I spent the evening getting the door ready. I got the sound deadener on, bracket welded on and epoxied. Tomorrow's goal is to put some paint on it so my dad can come put the skin on.

Today was a nice day so I painted the door pieces outside. I love this colour... It looks so nice outside. My door is now ready for my dad to do his magic.

My Dad came over and put the door skin on for me today. I will let the glue dry overnight and tomorrow I'll strip the ecoat off and do the bodywork to the upper door frame just like the other side. Then epoxy and align the door so I can start cutting the rocker off!

Hi Randy,

I sure am enjoying your build - it's mind boggling the skill that you and many others here have, sure is inspirational! Perhaps you can help me a little? The hood of my 69 Dart will not sit flush on the drivers side, rear, next to the cowl. Do you know how to adjust it? Regardless, thanks for all the great pics here. (I'm sorry if this is too much of a thread jack)

George

Attachments

• SAM_1129.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 945
Hi Randy,

I sure am enjoying your build - it's mind boggling the skill that you and many others here have, sure is inspirational! Perhaps you can help me a little? The hood of my 69 Dart will not sit flush on the drivers side, rear, next to the cowl. Do you know how to adjust it? Regardless, thanks for all the great pics here. (I'm sorry if this is too much of a thread jack)

George

Thanks for the compliment George! Your car looks pretty nice, I bet it's pretty solid being where you're from eh? I would take the splash shield off or possibly the fender and have a look at the hood hinge and hinge mounting studs for damage... Looks like a sprung or buckled hood hinge causing that. There is no amount of adjustment in the hinge bolts to bring that hood back down to where it's supposed to be, so I'm guessing the hinge is the culprit.

I started cutting the rocker panel off and what a mess! Nothing like mouse turds and burning hot metal chips landing on your face! Hopefully tomorrow the entire rocker will be off... It feels like I've done this before! Inner rocker is perfect in this area, just light surface rust that will blast off easily like the other side. There is rust where the seatbelt bolt goes and will require the same patch on the inner rocker as the other side did. No surprises so far!

I think this car was the victim of a pissed off girlfriend back in the day... I found broken glass in both sides, which explains why it's got more rust then normal in this area.

Welded on some structure just in case. (Just like the other side when I did it) I am going to leave these in when I do the floor pan too.

Mine were bad but, yours look worse. Your doing a over the top restoration, definitely going above and beyond. Great job !

Attachments

• DSC_0012%20(2).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 922
  • DSC_0023%20(2).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 954
Ewwwwww

Well, I'm sure before too much longer you'll have that part fixed.

Haha yeah it's pretty nasty!

"I'm watching"

Thanks!

Mine were bad but, yours look worse. Your doing a over the top restoration, definitely going above and beyond. Great job !

I think we're about the same! Haha. It does indeed look bad, but I'm surprised the inner rocker is still good at the back, there will be very minor pitting once it's sandblasted which will be no big deal (the other side that's seen from underneath has no pitting at all) I will have about a 2.5" x 2' peice I'll have to splice in on the inner rocker near the middle tho. What's really surprising on this car is the frame rails and trunk pan are solid, which you'd think would have rust after seeing all these rust repair pics so far!
Thanks! I see your duster is coming along nicely and that 70 Swinger you're working on is inspiring me to keep going on mine!

I had a busy day and didn't get much accomplished, so tomorrow will be the day I'll get the rest of the rocker off and maybe blast it.

Got some work done this weekend. I cut the rest of the pieces off the 69 dart parts car.. The lower a pillar and whole cowl area. I also dropped my hood off to be dipped, I will get it back this week, so I will have a busy week!

I also cut apart the doner a pillar and trimmed it to fit on my car. Tomorrow I'll take it to work and bead blast it and then I'll start welding it in.

Picked up my hood this morning and it came out perfect! I used six cans of Brake Kleen on the underside and a scotchbrite with some RM 900 wax and grease remover to prep it and then I epoxied it. (They coat the hood in an oil to prevent flash rust) tomorrow I will flip it over and epoxy the top side. Next week I'm dropping my trunk lid off to get dipped as well.

I also plan on starting to weld in the lower a pillar tomorrow.

One piece at a time!

The detail you're putting in this thread is amazing! when it's all said and done you could make a book out of it and sell it. might be a good candidate for a sticky.....

-
Back