1970 Swinger 340 Steering

-

tbrannigan

Reaction score
Gang,

Thanks for the alternator help I got with my last post. My current dilema is my steering. I have a 1970 Swinger 340. The car is an absolute beauty and extreemly correct but terrible to drive. There is a ton of "slop" in the steering wheel. I have checked the pitman and and everyting under the car and adjusted the set screw on the box, verified fluid levels but it's just terrible. The primary problem is the slop neft to right in the steering wheel before any actual turning happens. The coupler seems tight so my fear is whatever is going on is happening inside the box?

Any suggestions? I was told there is an aftermarket box with tighter ratios that makes a world of difference, I was thinking perhaps I take my correct box off and save it and possibly install an alternative or perhaps the original needs to be rebuilt or something. I looked at the service manual and it is beyond my ability to crack that baby open and try to diagnose it much less opperate.

PS: it is riging on the original polyglass tires, any radial tire recomendations woudl be welcome! (I have heard mixed things about croker)

I am located in CT Thanks! Terry 203.644.8403

Agreed , get rid of the tires and realign, Did you ever replace all the rubber bushings if not do that before taking it for the alignment. Bias tires are not good drivers, the car will wander.

Are you saying the tires are original as in 40 years old? If so, that should be the first thing to look at. I think Firm Feel can take your original steering box and do whatever you like to it. You might want to give them a call.

Did you ever replace all the rubber bushings if not do that before taking it for the alignment.

i agree..

definatley make sure the front end is in god condition...

My steering box is @ Firm Feel as we type being rebuilt to Stage 2 specs.
I also have the PST complete front end rebuild kit going on as the Dart is reassembled.
I think the above advice about going to radials and getting the front aligned may help you in the short term, but think about having your box rebuilt if/when you can afford to do so.

You guys are great! I appreciate the lead. I'm a decent part changer but that's about it. I'm going to give them a call today! WHile I'm at it, any recomendations on exactly what radials to install?

PS how do you guys insert photos?

Attachments

• driveway.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Hood.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Manifold.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 123
WHile I'm at it, any recomendations on exactly what radials to install?

personal preference. 14" aren't going to give you a big selection of sizes.. if you like the stock size match the radial as close as possible in size.

BFGoodrich Radial TA's have proven themselves through the years to be a good value both in terms of wear and performance.I have 235/60/14's(9.2 inches wide) on on stock rally 5.5 rims and 195/70/14's on the front. Plenty of clearance all the way around. Roughly 360 plus tax

I had orig polyglas' on my 340 swinger for a while.
Installing radials made a big difference.

I had 215-70-14s on the front and 225-70-14s on the rear of mine.

Attachments

• 042.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 90
Radial tires and alignment will make a big difference.
I would take a close look at the box coupling too. Just a little lost motion in it is amplified by steering wheel diameter.
If the steering box is worn out you may see the input shaft travel inward and outward at the top seal.

-
Back