1970 vs 1971 Dart bumper, which looks better?

Which Dart/Scamp bumper looks better?

• 1970 Bumper

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • 1971 Bumper

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Neither, '70-'73 A-bodies aren't my cup o tea

Votes: 9 10.1%

• Total voters
-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to which is better liked. They both look great to me in their own way. 1972 wasnt included because its the same bumper as the '71. and I'm talking about both bumpers without the bumperettes :toothy10: So lets hear it guys! which is better and why?:toothy7:

Sorry! Forgot Scamps share the same bumper before I posted this. Brain fart :toothy10:

Well I got a 70 Dart so that rear bumper has grown on me over the years. Think it looks a little cleaner than the 71+'s do. Not that there much different other than the tail lights.

i have the 71 on my dart but i do like the 70 better. i also like the dart swinger emblems position on the 70 darts better then the 71 location .

I voted for the 70. Just a cleaner look I think. I was going to put the 70 bumper on my 71 but decided to do the 70 roadrunner lights instead.

'71 all of the way. I think that's the year Dodge got everything right on Darts. (Demon etc. except the 340 swinger was discontinued except for a few in Canada.)
I never did like the '70 rear bumper for some reason.....the emblem location was better in '70 too i agree.
The same as '72 Dart grilles.

I like the earlier bumper without the slots for the jack.I don't mind the quad tail lights.I ran an earlier bumper on my '72 for awhile but it just bugged me that it wasn't correct I can't tell you why.I currently run a '71 rear bumper just cause as stated it doesn't have the slots for the jack.No matter I always have a bottle jack in case of a roadside emergency.

I like the 70 bumper. I have a 70 dart so i might be biased. no, never mind, im not biased. i like the 70 dart bumper out of 71 and up...:)

I like the 71 little better. I like the fact that the tail/turn lights are seperate for the back-up lights. But its near impossible to find repop tail lights for the 71. They repop lenses for the 70. I welded the jack slots on my 71 for a smooth look.

But wiring is different. you will need to swap to 70 rear harness in the trunk. I think...

I have never seen the wiring for a 71 so can't say for sure but there was a thread not long ago about that and they were saying that the wiring is the same.

70, dead simple one set of lights. Draw back not seen as easily as 71-2. Remedy, aftermarket extra bright LED bulbs.

definitely 70 ! I think it just looks a lot cleaner not having the 4 holes in the bumper for tail lights. Clean and simple is the way for me

Draw back not seen as easily as 71-2

No, the single '70 Dart tail/brake lights give higher objective performance than the '71-'73 items (unless you modify the '71-'73 Dart setup like this, which winds you up with better overall safety performance than either stock system unmodified).

Remedy, aftermarket extra bright LED bulbs.

No, those don't work; in fact they reduce the performance of the brake/tail lamps to unsafe levels. See here.

Incorrect. The single '70 Dart tail/brake lights give higher objective performance than the '71-'73 items.

Incorrect. Those don't work; in fact they reduce the performance of the brake/tail lamps to unsafe levels. See here.
Dan, do the 70 bumpers use a different electrical connector than the '71-'73? I figured you'd know out of anyone

Dan, do the 70 bumpers use a different electrical connector than the '71-'73?

Pretty sure it's the same, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's not hard to interchange. On each side you've got three feed wires (tail, brake/turn, reverse) and if your reflector/bulb holder housings are plastic you've also got a ground wire. Connect the correct car wires to the correct housing wires however you like -- don't use cheesy Scotch-Lock crunch-type taps, though; if you don't want to crimp and solder and heat shrink use Posi-Locks or similar.

I have never seen the wiring for a 71 so can't say for sure but there was a thread not long ago about that and they were saying that the wiring is the same.

I have changed My bumper from a '70 style to the correct for my '72 Dart quad tail lights.The plugs are exactly the same FWIW.

I'm not 100% on which bumper belongs on what year. I've got the single lamp assemblies on either side. I like them more than the split stop-turn-tails. Maybe my bumper isn't correct for my year. I have a 72 Scamp.

Attachments

• IMAG0151.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 280
No, the single '70 Dart tail/brake lights give higher objective performance than the '71-'73 items (unless you modify the '71-'73 Dart setup like this, which winds you up with better overall safety performance than either stock system unmodified).

No, those don't work; in fact they reduce the performance of the brake/tail lamps to unsafe levels. See here.

Hey dan, is there a way to modify the 70 tail light assembly like you posted for the 71-73 lights?

Maybe my bumper isn't correct for my year. I have a 72 Scamp.

Your bumper is correct for a Scamp '70 Dart and '71-'73 Scamp got the one-lamp-per-side setup. '71-'73 Dart got the two-lamps-per-side setup.

(your Scamp looks like a '71 to me -- what is the 6th character of the VIN?)

-
Back