1971 Duster 340, 4spd, FE5/blk resto, "ruster" to Duster!

-
Very nice job...........with a job, wife and two kids I don't know how you are getting this done so fast.

The rad hose stencils were done on a "Cricut" machine, which is a paper cutter used in scrapbooking. Its connected to your computer so you can design something and then it will cut it out for you. Not the best route in my opinion, but it was the cheapest for me, plus it keeps my wife involved with the resto too.

383 Duster two of my days off happen to be wed & thurs, which means my wifes at work and the kids are in school all day. I also had almost all the $ set aside when I started it which really helps speed up the process. I get up at 4am frequently to get a few hours in whenever I can. Some progress each day is better than none. Starting with the right car helped too. My last car (69 RR) was a shell with a dash when I got it and was pretty well modified by the time I got done, so the stock resto was a nice change. Although down the road a stroker motor and kick *** suspension are on the list...:D

Attachments

• RoadrunnerPFS.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 963
  • photo(2).jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 955
It was repainted B7, the original color. It had a 512, 5spd, suspension & brake upgrades, etc. Fun car, but big, I'm more of A body guy:glasses7: I sold it to guy in North Carolina and used the $ to restore the Duster. The Duster will probably be the last I restore and I knew it was the "right one" to restore correctly.

This morning I got the control arms finished and coated with Krylon battery protectant to mimic the cosmoline look. I usedthe matte clear to help with adhesion since I had coatedthe entire control arm with RPM beofre realizing you can't paint over RPM :banghead: Once they dry I'll get them in the car along with the spindles, etc.

I also took my shiny new red Edelbrock shocks and painted them semi flat black to keep with the stock theme. Ohh an dI got the grille primed!!

Attachments

• Controlarms.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 966
  • Shkb4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 956
  • Shkdn.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 951
Today I got 2 of the 3 colors of paint on the grille. It was originally molded in grey so that color was first, mostly on the back of the grille. Next was masking and then the black. Its going to dry for a few days before I cover the fins so I can lay down the silver. I don't want to paint this thing twice.:prayer::banghead:

I was also able to get the front end all put together, tightened, cotter pinned, and paint marked today.

Attachments

• Grille1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 922
  • Grille2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 955
Here is what 154 paper clips,39 index cards, lots of masking tape and 7 hours looks like? Its finally painted!!! :prayer: The unmasking will be tomorrow, hopefully it turned good. I'm sure I still have a few hours of painting the upper and lower "teeth" mounts black. Then its chrome and picture time.:glasses7:

Attachments

• Grillemask.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 900
I will say that the paper clip and index card was a great idea!

I would say to use business cards instead, or at least heavier stock paper. For whatever reason (not wet paint) I had pieces of index cards stuck to most of the slats in the grille. Water and a brush/ sponge takes them off pretty easy, but I still have to go over each one. :violent1:

This restoration is incredible!!! Great job and attention to detail. Hoping when I get to tearing back into my car I can use some of your idea's in my restoration. Awesome job!!!

Finally got the grille finished and installed. Not perfect (IMO) but I'm not redoing it either. :banghead:
All the front disc rotors, bearings, and seals arrived today.

My wife made a cool cake for my bday.

Still trying to sell the wagon, may have a lead! Once the wagon goes, parts will be ordered and installed ASAFP!!

Attachments

• Grilledone.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 780
  • Cake.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 774
Updates
I got my rotors painted and installed.
Dash is finished other than installed 2 speakers.
Got my battery and hose clamps installed.
Installed my exhaust.
I got a set of ralleys and am in the middle of repainting them so I can mount up my E70 repops.

Attachments

• Dashdn.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 735
  • Dstreng.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 720
  • Tires.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 734
  • Exhaust.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 711
  • Wheldetail.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 728
Updates
I got my rotors painted and installed.
Dash is finished other than installed 2 speakers.
Got my battery and hose clamps installed.
Installed my exhaust.
I got a set of ralleys and am in the middle of repainting them so I can mount up my E70 repops.

Love those polyglass repops. Where did you get them?

I got them from another 71 Duster restorer. Apparently Mustangs had the same size, so you may be able to find them local through that route. I wanted to go with 15" Ralleys, but those will come later since I plan to hit a couple big shows early next year. I even plan on running the autocross at MATS with the E70's to get a baseline!

I got back at it cause it aint gonna get done by itself.
hammer.gif
2231195-dggif.gif

This picture shows most of what I've done lately:
The decklid is finally done and installed!
boogie.gif
boogie.gif

Headliner is done for the 2nd time
eyes.gif

Dash is in and most everything is hooked up.
All of the weather stripping (hood x2, trunk, doors, and roof) is done and permanently attached.
Wheels are off getting powdercoated.
Undercoating will get done in 2 weeks.
primer.gif

Only downside today was the discovery of some cat urine on the bottom of my car cover..
rant.gif

Attachments

• Decklid.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 655
The car is looking great. Can I ask where did you get you seat covers? I need to recover the seats on the 1970 I have in work.

Thx

Greg

QUOTE=813Demon340;1490252]The next thing I did was recover the seats and install the new carpet. I was bale to find the original cotton batting for the seats which made it really feel like new compared to using foam only. I also was able to redo the burlap that I found at walmart. The interior was all complete but nasty when I got it. Notice in the pic the original cassette recorder coupled to an AM radio. That was a spendy option around $200. The car was a showroom model according to the original owner and it was either this car or or an LS6 Chevelle....I think he made the right choice!:burnout:[/QUOTE]

Dash looks awesome. Mind if I send mine to ya? Car is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.:coffee2:

Damn Cats:coffee2:

Really am enjoying your attention to detail. Has helped me figure out where and how a lot of things are attached and positioned on my own restoration. I wasn't lucky enough to have an assembled car when I purchased it. Just a body with an unassembled engine in the trunk and a transmission on the front seat! Ben.

-
Back