1971 EV2 Dodge Demon "Sizzler"

-

chlngr1970

Reaction score
A BIG thanks to RPM for the great deal on the Demon. I'm gonna pull her off the trailer Wednesday ( not supposed to rain that day ) and get her in the garage. I gotta jockey around the hulks of my truck, and find a new place for my Dart. Then I gotta clean out my garage and get rid of some junk so I have room to work on my cars :D

Dunno what the plans are yet, but I'm leaning on a slight modification of the basically sock car. I'm thinking of doing the 3-350 HP 318 in the Demon instead of the Dart.

I'm hoping to take this weekend to clean it out and up to give a thorough inspection of what she needs. Anybody have an extra Rallye Dash frame and Cluster for cheep? :D

j

Glad to hear it made it home safe. I know you will enjoy that car ! I will be watching this thread!!

-RPM

I got the car off the trailer and into the garage tonight. Ramps fell off the trailer with the front tires half way down :cry: Pushed the car the rest of the way off the ramps and got them back on the trailer...got it all lined up and PUSH!!!

The ramps fell again...

Luckily I was far enough down to miss landing on the bumper...THAT would have sucked. So, after re-arranging the garage, and getting some junk ( including a cracked 400 block and a couple old projection TVs ) I have pleanty of room for the car now. My buddy kept telling me to put the Winnebago 440 in the Demon :D

I did a little more investigating the 318 and it looks like it is locked up tight. I'll pull it this weekend and be sure...but it looks like I am going to have to decide how to procede. I have a number of options at my disposal, so I am not bummed in the least bit. Just having it off the tailer and out of the weather is a big plus for me. I am giving some consideration to building a stroker 318 for it :D I have two 318's to work with, one running, one disassembled. I also have a 340, 360, 400 and two 440s :D

If I go 318, I am looking to get 3-350 HP out of it. It will have manual disc brakes, and I am thinking of keeping the factory A/C <GASP> :D

Now, do I try and rebuild the tranny in it if the motor is locked tight, or try and find a core to rebuild? I believe I have a 904 ( haven't looked yet ) or should I just get one of my 727s rebuilt? I have heard the 904 can be made into a good little performance tranny...

So many questions, so little money to spend...

j

If you click the link it will take you to the pix RPM had posted in the for sale thread. I already have two galleries, so I uploaded to photobucket the pictures that RPM sent me before I bought it. I will be taking pix as I work on it. I was kinda pushing the time yesterday with errands and such and neglected to bring my cam out when we were working on the garage. I am hoping for a couple days soon without rain so I can pull the Duster out and clean out THAT side of the garage as well. I friggin hate my garage because of the condition that the owners have let it sink to, and if I could buy this place, the FIRST thing I would do is bull doze it and build a proper shop. That would also require upgrading the electrical to the house...so I would also replace all the baseboard heaters...and so on and such.

I hope the photobucket link works.

j

I had almost convinced myself to buy this car as a 2nd project when I saw it was sold, so I'm really looking forward to seeing progress on this one. Gotta love the Demons, and the COLOR! Good luck, have fun!

sinfotosnada-1.gif

Potobucket link works :)

Ya better come up with a way to hook those ramps on if you plan on using that trailer much more ! Glad you got it off without damage.

I am not suprised if that motor is locked up. Sitting 20-25 years could do that. I vote to keep it a 318 and warm it up.. or at least keep it small block and pretend its a 318 to help hold the "sizzler" package. After all small blocks in these cars can be made to haul booty !

have fun !

-RPM

I think I will stick with a small block, probably the 318 that came from my truck or the 340 that is in my Duster. It's a '73 cast crank 340, but it IS a 340 :D I was going to save it for a Demon, or a 67-69 Barracuda, and now I have my Demon.

Decisions, decisions...

j

Man, I wish I was closer when that sizzler was for sale! Thats a nice car! I vote small block! I'd say go 340 but hold onto that 318 just incase you change your mind and wanna restore it or build a rockin 318. Either way, I look forward to seeing this cars future!!!

How much power can I expect from a 340 with a standard boar and stroke with the following:
  1. 10.5:1 Comp ratio
  2. 284/484 MP Purpleshaft cam
  3. Edelbrock LD340 intake
  4. Electronic ignition
  5. 1 5/8" Primary, 3" collector headers, 2.25 exhaust with an X Pipe and flowmaster mufflers
  6. mild head work on stock iron heads, or Aluminum MP heads

If I do a 318, I am hoping for 300-350 HP Rear wheel HP throuh an auto tranny ( 904 or 727...not sure which yet ) If I use the 340, I am hoping for a good 350-400 Rear wheel HP though an auto tranny. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

j

I think I will stick with a small block, probably the 318 that came from my truck or the 340 that is in my Duster. It's a '73 cast crank 340, but it IS a 340 :D I was going to save it for a Demon, or a 67-69 Barracuda, and now I have my Demon.

Decisions, decisions...

j
you can swap the 318 crank into the 340 and you will have a 340 steel crank, is the same if you use the internal balance harmonic balancer and flywheel or converter out of the 318 steel crank!

Wait

The 318 in the truck has a steel crank?!?

That would be awesome!

Then I could rebuild the 318 with the cast crank for the Dart, if it doesn't sell...

j

Anyone on the cast/forged crank question? I was hoping to have the motor out of the Demon today, but was feeling like crap, and it was raining ( my garage is only SO deep :( ) so it didn't get done today. I DID however get $30 for a cracked 400 block :D

Ok, so assuming the truck crank is forged, I can use it in my 340 and go to town, yes? If this is the case, I will need to pull the 340 post haste and get busy building it, and a tranny for the Demon.

Next question. PST suspension, or is an alternative reliable supplier out there for front end parts? What are y'alls experience with PST like?

Next question. I need a good body person in the Seattle area. Prefer up north, but will travel a bit...

I'm kinda bummed that today turned out as it did. I was hoping to get it all cleaned out, get the motor/trans pulled, and front seat out. I am looking at maybe having a shop do the front end swap and just do all new front end/brake parts at the same time. That way, I have a fresh chassis going into the body shop. While she is there, get the motor/trans done. Once the motor/trans are back in, get started on the interior.

whew...

All that work, and now I'm tired :D

more later...

j

Found out that the 318 in th Demon is origional :cheers:

Now, hopefully I can free up the pistons. THAT would be cool! :-D

j

Attachments

• Numbers.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,446
I would get the 318 redone and keep it as a Sizzler.You can always make one of your other cars go fast.JMO.

Well, my elation was quickly tempered with the revelation of the number 1 and number 8 cylinders being rusted tight. I am hoping that penetrating oil, and a good honing will clean up the bore enough to use. If not, weather or not I can get the pistons out, I may have to go back to my original idea of the '72 truck 318, or my '73 340...

j

Attachments

• Driver bank.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,408
  • Driver Head.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,386
  • Passenger Head.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,362
  • Passenger Bank.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,391
  • Number 8.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,406
I would get the 318 redone and keep it as a Sizzler.You can always make one of your other cars go fast.JMO.
Page 2 :D

O, I have NO issues with going original, but if the numbers motor cannot be saved, I'm gonna have some fun with it :D As far as keeping it a Sizzler, it will be, count on it. I even got a couple more 14" Ralleys to make a complete set. Met a guy down the street that is more into the original look than me, so he is going to rummage my parts and take what he needs. He also has a MP aluminum intake manifold I might buy from him. It's all down to can I save the 318 or not. I still have two 318s that I can build for it if I decide to save my 340. Still aching for a 67-9 B'cuda Notch to put that 340 in :D

Lets see what the machine shop says about the numbers 318...

j

You could always dress up a 340 to look similar to a 318 for stock "look". Great car, can't wait to see your progress.

Try bolting the heads back on and filling each cylinder with diesel. Let it sit for a month or so and then try to break it free. I suspect there is too much rust,but good luck!

I have PB blaster in soaking in the cylinders as we speak. I'm going to get it up on the stand and start working it to see if I can get it to free up at all. Going to give it the old college try :D

j

Even if you have to sleeve it, it's still the orig. engine.
Break the piston out, and buy new ones, you will never save the original ones anyway at this point.....
If it wasn't the original block then party on, but seeing it's the one, a couple of sleeves aren't that expensive.
If that's what you want to do with the car. Whatever you do, DON'T throw away the original block!
You may change your mind someday!
It sounds like you want to go 340 and that's fine, just keep the original block and store it away inside and you won't be sorry down the road, ask me how i know this!
I think i found the original 318 for my sizzler and it's in bad shape because in the day (20 years ago) it was just another 318 core. It's been sitting on the ground uncovered since then.
Get the picture?
Good luck.
Tom.

-
Back