1971 Match Race ~ 'Duster 340' vs. 'Boss 351 Mustang'

-
My buddy's stock Boss 351 had no problem walking away from my Duster with it's mildly hot rodded 340 any time any place the last couple years.

Both of us fell short to my dad and his fuel-injected 327 Corvette.

I upped the ante this summer with a rebuild and a bunch more horsepower so hopefully I can take him next summer.

Paul

Attachments

• 3Cars3Guys9.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 441
My buddy's stock Boss 351 had no problem walking away from my Duster with it's mildly hot rodded 340 any time any place the last couple years.

Both of us fell short to my dad and his fuel-injected 327 Corvette.

I upped the ante this summer with a rebuild and a bunch more horsepower so hopefully I can take him next summer.

Paul

Nice Grouping...............:cheers:

Specifications

1971 'Duster 340'......................................................................1971 Mustang 'Boss 351'

Shipping Weight.......... #3165 lbs............................................. #3281 lbs.
Curb Weight................ #3310 lbs............................................. #3430 lbs.

340__________________________________________-____351
Bore..........4.04"....................................................................... 4.00"
Stroke...... 3.31"....................................................................... 3.50"

275 HP 'Factory Rated'............................................................. 330 HP 'Factory Rated'

275 HP @ 5000 RPM's.............................................................. 330 HP @ 5400 RPM's
340 Ft/Lbs. of Torque @ 3200 RPM's....................................... 370 Ft/Lbs. of Torque @ 4000 RPM's

Tach Red Line............... 5500 RPM's....................................... 6150 RPM's

{ 310 HP 'NHRA' Rated }......................................................... { 330 HP 'NHRA' Rated }

1971 NHRA Class... G/S or SS/I............................................... F/S or SS/I

Compression........ 10.3 to 1..................................................... 11.3 to 1
Piston................... Flat-Top w/2 Notches................................ .315" Dome
Type..................... Forged Aluminum....................................... Forged Aluminum
Piston Height....... +.045 'Above Deck'..................................... -.008" 'Below Deck'

Crankshaft.......... Forged Steel................................................. Cast High-Strength Nodular
Rods................... Forged.......................................................... Forged ~ Shot-Peened and Magna-fluxed
Piston Pins......... Full-Floating.................................................. Pressed-Fit
Rod Bolts............ 3/8".............................................................. 3/8" ~ Special Length and Hardened

Cylinder Head...... #3418915 'J' Head...................................... D1ZE-B
CC Chamber......... 68.0 to 73.0 {Factory}................................ 67.6 {Factory}
CC Minimum........ 63.3 CC {NHRA}.......................................... 64.6 CC {NHRA}
Intake................. 2.02"............................................................ 2.19"
Exhaust............... 1.60"............................................................ 1.71"
Intake Port Size.. 1.16" x 2.27" ............................................... 2.50" x 1.75"
Exhaust Port Size 1.25" x 1.75"................................................ 2.00" x 1.74"
Intake Volume.... 157 CC.......................................................... 244 CC
Exhaust Volume.. 73 CC............................................................ 136 CC

Camshaft............ 'Hydraulic'..................................................... 'Mechanical'
Lift...................... .463"/.472" {NHRA specifications}.............. .502" / .502" {NHRA Specifications}
Duration.............. 276*/284*................................................... 290* / 290*
Overlap............... 52*............................................................... 58*

Valve Springs...... #134 lbs. 'Closed'......................................... #93 lbs. 'Closed'
Valve Springs.......#235 lbs. 'Open'........................................... #315 lbs. 'Open'

Rocker Arms........ Stamped-Steel Non-Adjustable.................... Stamped Steel 'High-Strength' Adjustable

Intake................. Cast Iron 360* Dual-Plane High-Rise........... Cast Aluminum Dual-Plane High Rise

Carburetor.......... Carter Thermo-Quad {800 CFM}.................... Autolite #4300-D {750 CFM}
Throttle Bore...... 1.375" Primary ~ 2.250" Secondary............... 1.563" Primary ~ 1.960" Secondary
Venturi............... 1.063" ~ Air-Valve.......................................... 1.250" ~ Air-Valve

Distributor......... Dual-Point....................................................... Dual-Point

Air Cleaner........ Unsilenced....................................................... Ram-Air Induction w/Twin 'NASA' Hood Ducts

Exhaust Pipe...... 2.25".............................................................. 2.50" Primary w/H-Pipe ~ 2.25" Secondary

Transmission..... 2.44 / 1.77 / 1.34 / 1.00 {A-833}.................. 2.32 / 1.69 / 1.29 / 1.00 {Close-Ratio}

Clutch................ 10.5".............................................................. 11.0"
Pressure-Plate.......................................................................... 3-Finger

Flywheel............ 27 lbs. ........................................................... 27.3 lbs.

Shifter............... Hurst Linkage.................................................. Hurst Shifter

Gears................ 3.91 'Sure-Grip' {Optional}.............................. 3.91 'Traction-Loc'

Rims................. 14" x 5.5"......................................................... 15" x 7"

Tires................. E-70 x 14" Goodyear Polyglas GT...................... F-60 x 15" Goodyear Polyglas GT

The 'Boss 351' has some big advantages in component comparison.

I did get a ride in one of those iconic yellow boss 351 cars.

At the time it was the quickest car I had ever ridden in.

The boss package must have been a hell of an improvement over a "regular" 351C 4V.

I owned an EXTREMELY unmolested 71 torino GT 351C 4V ram air car, and honestly, it really wasn't all that in the performance department.
Not even close to my 70 383 Bee, which I owned at the same time.

...and other than the mega factory sponsored guys, I've never really seen any mustang do well at the track, until the fox body craze.

We had '2' 1971 Boss 351 Mustangs in our area back in the day.

A Silver 'Boss 351' and a Grabber Blue 'Boss 351'.

Both were street cars, and 'not' Track Cars. They were fairly quick.
Biggest problem was 'off-the-line' wheel spin and hop.

Not cheaply priced at $4200 for 1971.

Any production numbers to gage popularity with?
Seems to me, if this was such a killer package, that they would have sold in great numbers.
i'm not saying that the boss351 doesn't have potential, it seemed to me that ford had good racing products, but didn't translate to fast street cars.

Mike,

1971 'Boss 351' {4-Speed Only}

Available with either > Close-Ratio or Wide-Ratio Transmission.

Production Numbers.......... 1806

It was not highly marketed in November 1970 when it was first introduced,
as the Base Price of $4200 was a bit steep at the time.

With 'options', the Price $5200

I'm not a ford fan whatsoever,but in comparison,the 351 seems to me kinda like the dodge 361 with the stroke and such and give the 340 the same comp and solid cam as the 351 and there would be absolutely no contest at all..period...

I had one back in 73 and wasn't impressed. I sold it because it sounded like a old bed spring in action coming down the road. Even after several dealer visits. It just kept on squeaking.

Some times if the wind was blowing hard I could here it squeaking in the driveway while I was sitting in the house. I just couldn't take it anymore. I traded it for a 65 GTO even up.

Biggest problem with the 1971 'Boss 351'

Wheel Hop

They needed 'Traction Masters' and 50/50 Rear Shocks, even on the 'street'.

Ok Guys, I have always been on that fence between Mopars, and Fords, love them both. You must remember that all 351C are not created equal, the Boss 351 was a one year only production for the 71 Mach I. it was the only one with a solid lift cam. A standard 351C 4V or 2V in stock form would be no match for a stock form 340 of the same year.

As for the 71-73 Mach ones, I love to look at them, but after owning one, it is nothing but a rolling blind spot, and you mine as well open the door and turn around to back the thing up, and my boys could not even see over the dash.

I am now cruising a 65 Valiant Signet, with a 340, plus 295's up under the rear.

1971 'Boss 351'

Exterior Color made a difference, as well as the 'Optional' Magnum 500 wheels.

ford-mustang-boss-351-(1971).png

No, the last 340 Dart in the United States was in 1970 with the 'Swinger'.

They were a little heavier than the 1971 'Duster 340'.

Shipping Weight

* 1971 Duster 340 - 4-Speed...................... #3165 lbs.
* 1970 Dart 'Swinger 340' - 4-Speed............ #3179 lbs.

My buddy's talking about changing rides in the spring.

His is just a driver and can be had for much less than 55K, I don't know how much he wants.

I do know he likes 68/69 Barracudas especially big blocks.

Paul

These boss 351 run around 55k now in nice restored original shape

Attachments

• BobBoss351.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 335
I'm late here, but thanks for this thread Paul "69 Cuda 440."

I've posted before that I think the Boss 351 was the most powerful small block to come out of the American factories in the muscle car era.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SBM, but I have to give credit where it's due. In as delivered configuration, my opinion is it was the best of the bunch.....including the 70' LT1, and I have driven both.

I'm late here, but thanks for this thread Paul "69 Cuda 440."

I've posted before that I think the Boss 351 was the most powerful small block to come out of the American factories in the muscle car era.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SBM, but I have to give credit where it's due. In as delivered configuration, my opinion is it was the best of the bunch.....including the 70' LT1, and I have driven both.

Rick,how interesting you made that statement.... A few years ago,Hot Rod magazine, actually took this to heart. The LT-1 ,didn't win.... Fwiw,a well built Cleveland/Boss 351 is just like a FE Medium/High Riser 427. A well built engine,with lots of work. Sorry 69 440.....

Weight Distribution

'Duster 340' Shipping Weight_#3165 lbs.___Curb Weight__#3310 lbs.

Front ...................53.5%..........#1693 lbs. ....................... #1770 lbs.
Rear.....................46.5%..........#1472 lbs. ....................... #1540 lbs.

'Boss 351' Shipping Weight #3281 lbs.___Curb Weight #3430 lbs.

Front ...................57.9% ..........#1900 lbs. ...................... #1986 lbs.
Rear ....................42.1% ..........#1381 lbs. ...................... #1444 lbs.

Get me some 'Traction-Masters'

The 'Duster 340' is better balanced.

No, the last 340 Dart in the United States was in 1970 with the 'Swinger'.

They were a little heavier than the 1971 'Duster 340'.

Shipping Weight

* 1971 Duster 340 - 4-Speed...................... #3165 lbs.
* 1970 Dart 'Swinger 340' - 4-Speed............ #3179 lbs.
So were the darts after 70 made in canada,I had a 71 340 twin scoop auto red with blk vinyl top column shift 3.55 sg 8 3/4,rallye wheels,that had ps pb with 43k was one of the nicest cars I ever owned,was like new and I regret the day I sold it..bone stock and unmolested and I left it that way still ran low to mid 14's if I recall correctly..

They were a mechanical secondary with a non adjustable secondary air door similar to a thermoquad only it was not as tunable and only flowed 715cfm. Why are they so expensive ?? Most guys tossed them in the trash only problem was the bolt pattern was unique on the carb so a holley wouldn't bolt up so off came the manifold.

So were the darts after 70 made in canada,I had a 71 340 twin scoop auto red with blk vinyl top column shift 3.55 sg 8 3/4,rallye wheels,that had ps pb with 43k was one of the nicest cars I ever owned,was like new and I regret the day I sold it..bone stock and unmolested and I left it that way still ran low to mid 14's if I recall correctly..

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 'Special'

Only available in Canada. Built at the Windsor, Ontario Plant.

-
Back