-
Status
Not open for further replies.

IL duster

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Selling my Duster as it just sits in the garage and never gets used. It's a 1971 Plymouth duster with a 360 engine originally a 318 car. Specs of the car are below. Let me know if you have any questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability's. My location is Fults, IL, which is about 50 miles south of St. Louis, MO. Price is $8500.

Engine:
Built by Hughes engines, it's a .060 overbore 1972 block

rotating assembly was balanced

BHJ harmonic balancer

Eagle I beam rods

Diamond forged pistons set up for a compression ratio of 10.5:1

Edelbrock Rpm aluminum cylinder heads with Hughes engines stage 2 port job

Hughes engines Hydraulic flat tappet cam specs with the 1.6 rocker arms
are .571 Int. and .576 Exh

Double roller timing chain with tensioner

High volume oil and water pumps

Hughes engines roller rockers 1.6 ratio

Edelbrock Rpm airgap intake, also ported by hughes

Edelbrock 750cfm carb with K&N air filter

Trans:
Rebuilt 727 trans

A&A transmission torque converter with 3800 stall

Plate type trans cooler

B&M shifter

Various info:
Has a Be cool radiator in it with a spal fan, also has a flex o lite pusher fan mounted on ac condenser

Optima battery

Distributor and coil are FBO components

Has the large bolt pattern on the front with disc brakes

big block torsion bars

magnumforce upper tubular control arms

As you can see in the pic's it has Weld racing pro stars on it. Rears will need to be changed because it has wheel spacers on it for the 5 on 4 bolt pattern.

Hooker headers

Jegs mandrel bent exhaust system

8 3/4 diff with awesome 2.76 gears in it, I beleive it is a 741 case

Vintage air Gen 2 system

Full autometer gauges

Painless wiring fuse block and associated wiring

As you can see this is a work in progress that I bought a couple of years ago. The body is decent but no where near perfect and has some scratches and some bondo bubbles coming up through the paint. The floor pans are decent but have some holes in both the front pans, but it is very far from Fred Flintstone, largest hole about the size of a quarter.

The wheel adapters is something else that I haven't got around to yet, but I have a Ford 8.8 rear that will go with the car if you want it. I was going to so that conversion as well as upgrade to rear disc brakes. I also want to ditch the front seats as they weren't my style. But funds have been low and they are not torn or broken so they have stayed. That is really why I am selling it, as I don't have the money to fix it the way that I want to build it.

I'll let the pics do the rest of talking, but if there is any other info that you think I need to post up please let me know.

669d790a.jpg

20e25c1d.jpg

4ba6611f.jpg

750c35ee.jpg

e97d6f88.jpg

7f654fc2.jpg

ea3dbbab.jpg

726fb27b.jpg

f4bf1675.jpg

a3546bf8.jpg

631fa91f.jpg

ab11d9ad.jpg

b10d6548.jpg
[/QUOTE]

In the process of cleaning it up real good right now, to take better pictures then what is above. As soon as I get the better pictures I will post them up as well. It will be going on eBay in less then a week. The listing is super long, but it details every bit that I know about the car. Oh yeah, if anybody wants the car. I will sell it to them for what my reserve price will be which is $7500. Thanks!

Dan

You are bidding on a 1971 Plymouth Duster. It started out life as a 318 car. I got the car a couple of years ago and have slowly been improving it. Unfortunately, the things that I want to do to it are out of my price range, and I can’t afford to keep the car. I will list the good and bad things about the car so you know everything I know. If I miss something it is not intentional as I am an honest guy. I can’t tell you about everything as some of the items were performed before I bought the car. The reserve is $7500. $500 deposit(non- refundable) will be due within 24 hours after the auction ends via Paypal, the remainder(cash preferred, but will accept cashier’s checks, but they will have to be verified as being legitimate at my bank before title is signed over) to be due upon pick up of the car at my home, within 2 weeks maximum. If it makes the buyer feel more safe, if paying in cash, we can load the car up at my house first, then we can drive to the closest town and money can exchange hands at a local bank, at that time I will sign the title over and provide a bill of sale. The title is completely clear and in my hands. Also no bidders with fewer than 10 feedback rating, if you bid your bid will be cancelled. If you have under a 10 rating then please contact me first and we will discuss it. No scammers, you will be reported to eBay right away. So here are all of the important details.

BODY:

The body is in decent shape, the person who I bought it from had a paint job done on it. It was supposedly done in 1998, and still looks pretty good. There are some chips and scratches but again for the most part it’s in good shape. The hood needs to be replaced or have some bodywork done to it. You can see grinding scratches in the metal that were just painted over. Also there are two large screws visible that hold the top metal layer to the bottom layer since the inner structure was cut up so much. It still looks good from a distance but you can see the flaws when close to it. I was going to replace it, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. The passenger front fender needs some work around the wheel arch as the metal has cracked, but it’s nothing a welder couldn’t take care of. There are a few spots in the front floor boards that need to be taken care of; biggest hole is probably the size of the quarter. I was going to patch them but haven’t gotten around to it yet. As I said they are really small, but I want to mention it because they are there. I don’t believe floor pans would be a needed, just patching them with good metal. The rear quarter extensions have some holes in them that the previous owner didn’t fix when he did the body. They are not huge, but again I’m being honest they are there, there is paint over them, just like the floor boards so that the rust is not getting any worse. The last thing with the body is there are some Bondo bubbles starting to appear especially in the right rear quarter. The previous owner did say that the lower portions of that panel had more plastic filler then he wanted in them, but he didn’t have the money to buy another full quarter. The left side or driver’s side quarter was replaced with a new one from Year One. Now that I listed the concerns with the body there are a lot of good things on the body as well. The body and paint is very good for a 14 year old paint job, it has the 340 graphics on it I think they look good. It is what I would consider a very good drivers quality paint job and body. There are new chrome door handles that were installed, plus a go wing. As you can see there is a fiberglass scoop on it, and I have another one, a six pack scoop, that will go with the car as well. The underside of the car as far as can tell is in good condition except for the items I listed above. The frame rails look good and there is no rust that I can see. It has always been garaged since I bought it in 2005. The bumpers are fiberglass too, they are thicker than what I have seen in the past on race cars. Trunk pans are in great shape and have no rust on them. I think that is it for the body.

WHEELS AND TIRES

The wheels are Weld Racing Pro Stars and the fronts are 15 x 3.5 and the rears are 15 x 8. Bolt pattern for the fronts is the large Chrysler bolt pattern of 5 on 4 ½, I am unsure of the tire size, the front tires are basically brand new. I bought them about 2 years ago on Tire Rack, and I bet they don’t have more then 1200 miles on them. The rear tires are BFG Radial TA and the size is P27560R15. The vehicle has wheel spacers on the rear to deal with the small bolt pattern issue that was original on this car. The bolt pattern on those wheels is actually a Chevy bolt pattern of 5 x 4 ¾, why that was done I don’t know. I had planned to switch out the rear differential to solve that problem, but again money was the issue. See below for the extra’s this vehicle comes with as I am including a differential that I bought in the past to solve this. There are wheel locks on the rear wheels and of course the wheel lock is included.

BRAKES and SUSPENSION

We’ll start in the front. All of the bushings and steering components have been replaced(Ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman and idler arms). The car also has tubular upper control arms, from Magnum force racing. All of the suspension components came from Moog. Shocks were replaced with Competition engineering drag racing shocks front and rear. The torsion bars were replaced with big block units purchased from Mopar Performance. There is an Addco front sway bar on the car as well, it’s larger than stock but I don’t know the size. The bushings and sway bar links were replaced as well. The steering box I did not touch as it is a stock manual box, and I am unsure of the ratio. I know the car had power steering originally because there is a coupler with an extension on the steering column. I didn’t do anything with that, all that was done when I bought the car. I did do the front end work, with the engine in the car. That is why I didn’t do anything with the steering box, as it looks like you would either have to remove the engine or drop the K member to get it out. So I just left well enough alone. Brakes are stock replacement units from 73 on up A-bodies, everything was replaced(rotors, wheel bearings and grease seals,brake pads and calipers, hoses, and all brake lines). The brake lines were replaced with Fine Lines stainless steel lines so they will never rust. I even replaced the master cylinder with a NAPA unit. I think that’s it for the front. On the rear brake lines and hoses were also replaced, as well as all brake components(shoes, wheel cylinders hardware). I didn’t replace the drums, but they were turned. On the suspension the rear leafs were re-arched and a leaf added by St. Louis Spring. And as mentioned above it has Competition Engineering rear shocks on it as well. It also has Competition Engineering bolt in subframe connectors.

REAR DIFFERENTIAL

The Duster currently has an 8 ¾ differential in it, I believe, with a 742 center section. The gears are strictly highway gears at 2.76:1. It has stock axles in it as well. Unfortunately it does not have a sure grip unit in it. The only problems that I am aware of, is a very small leak coming from the pinion seal. I changed the seal, and it slowed the leak, but the pinion had some pitting on it, and I’m sure that is why it still leaks a bit. Again I have another differential to go with the car, as that is what I was planning to do, but a new ring and pinion would solve it as well. The drive shaft is original to the car as far as I can tell. It has the large 7290 u-joints in it and of course the pinion flange is the same large 7290 as well.

FUEL SYSTEM

I haven’t done much with the fuel system as most of it was there when I got the car. Per the previous owner he had the fuel tank cleaned out and painted, and it still looks nice. I replaced the sending unit when it went out, I replaced it with a 3/8 pickup version. The fuel pump is an electric Carter unit. It has a no name Fram style canister fuel filter. It also has a cowl mounted fuel pressure gauge from Autometer. I believe it is the Ultra lite version. Carburetor is an Edelbrock 750cfm unit, and I have a K&N filter assembly on it as well. One concern I have with the fuel system, is that it has rubber line from the front to the back. The line was replaced by me about a year ago, but I always wanted to return it to braided stainless steel or hard metal line, again money was an issue, that will need to be replaced right away. I meant to get to it to replace it, but the rubber line was cheap and at the time I thought that is what was on there to begin with so I’ll leave it for now. I believe the previous owner gave me all of the AN fitting nuts that go to the car. If I can find them they’ll go with the car.

EXHAUST SYSTEM

The car has hooker headers on it. If I remember correctly they are the competition series. Their primaries are 1 5/8, and they are also the painted variety. The exhaust system was a mandrel bent Jeg’s kit with their turbo mufflers; the size is 2 1/2. It sounds pretty good, I believe the chrome tips are 3.5inches.

TRANSMISSION

It is a 727 and was rebuilt a couple of years ago by a local rebuilder from a TCI transmission pro kit. I only know of two upgrades that were done other than the items in the kit. First being a Turbo Action reverse manual valve body, and second a Mopar performance deep chrome transmission pan. The shifter is a B&M mega shifter. I also have a trans temp gauge that is the Autometer Ultra lite version. The torque converter was built special to the engine’s spec’s by A&A transmission in Indy. It is a 3800 stall variety and was meant to be a street strip unit with use mostly on the strip. At that time I was also planning to use nitrous and the converter was built to handle that as well. There is a B&M transmission SFI flex plate that the converter attaches too. It also has a plate type transmission cooler to keep temps down.

INTERIOR AND TRUNK

Nothing special in the trunk, a fire extinguisher I put in there to be compliant with car show rules, the stock trunk mat which I replaced with a Year One unit, and the stock rallye wheel spare tire. On the interior the rear package tray was replaced with a Year One unit. The rear seat was sourced from a good used one. Carpet isn’t stained. The carpet looks to have been cut too short, but it still looks really good. I also bought the Duster logo floor mats from ACC carpet. The headliner has been replaced but it looks like it is the wrong headliner, it’s not tight like I have seen in other Duster’s. It’s got a lot of extra material in it. It looks ok, no tears or anything . The front seats from what I was told are from eBay; they were bought and installed by the previous owner. They are in great condition, no tears or marks on them at all. The door panels are in decent condition, but the vinyl is dried up and is cracking. I replaced the arm rests a month ago. The dash pad is in great condition and has no cracks. The dash is also in great condition and the cardboard glove box has been replaced. The Duster has a Vintage air unit installed and it is working perfectly, both heater and AC. I believe it is a generation 2 unit that doesn’t need any vacuum to operate, it’s all done with electric motors. The radio has been replaced with a DUAL CD player, and that is in perfect working order. The speakers are Sony brand and the sizes is 6 x 9 in the rear package tray and 6 inch round ones in the doors. As you can see in the pictures the car has complete instrumentation all from Autometer. I’ve mentioned the outside fuel pressure gauge which is an Ultra lite version and is 2 5/8 in size. The three gauges on the dash pad are 2 1/16 variety and are all electric gauges, they are Trans temp, Voltmeter, and Air/Fuel. The tach is a sport comp monster tach with a shift light. And for the water temp and oil pressure they are Pro Comp Variety and the size is 2 5/8. The water temp gauge is electric and the oil pressure is mechanical with a brass tube instead of the supplied nylon line. It also has a Painless wiring harness and fuse block, with more modern fuses. The steering wheel is a Grant wheel.

ENGINE

Finally the best part and where I spent most of my money! The block is a 1972 casting 360cid. It has been professionally assembled by Hughes Engines in Washington, IL. They bored the block .060 which is ok for a 1972 thick wall casting, they also balanced the entire rotating assembly, line bored it, indexed the crank(to get each crank throw exactly the same), and decked the block. They also put in brass freeze plugs and did their oil system modifications, which is drilling out the oil galleys to a larger size. The crank is a stock cast unit, and it has a BHJ harmonic balancer on it. The rods are Eagle I beam, and the pistons and rings were special ordered from Diamond Racing and they are forged units. They built the pistons to have a compression ratio of 10.7:1 with the heads and head gaskets I was using. A Melling high volume pump was also installed, with a Moroso oil pickup tube. A Mopar windage tray and a Moroso 8 quart pan wrap up the bottom end. The engine has ARP main studs, and ARP head bolts. The cam is a Hughes Engine’s hydraulic cam, their number HE4650, with their lifters. The lift of the came is .606 intake and .614 Exhaust. The timing chain set is a Pro Gear 7 keyway double roller set. They also installed their timing chain tensioner. The heads are Edelbrock RPM aluminum and Hughes Engines ported them to their stage 2 specs. They also installed their double valve springs matched to the camshaft. The water pump is a high volume Milodon piece. I also bought Hughes engines 1.6 roller rockers and the lift of the came above is taking that into consideration. They also built me a set of pushrods for the engine. Let’s see what else…. The engine has a hardened oil pump drive. The intake is also an Edelbrock RPM unit, the Airgap variety, that was also ported out by Hughes Engines. I’ve already gone over the exhaust and fuel system so I believe that rounds out the engine. Other items of importance in the engine compartment are: A Optima battery, a Be Cool radiator with billet radiator cap. I also bought a Spal electric fan from Be Cool at the same time as the radiator; it is on an automatic sensor that turns on and off as needed. There is also a Flex O Lite pusher fan mounted on the AC condenser, that you control via a toggle switch mounted on the shifter. The distributor and coil are FBO components and Don curved the distributor to the engine spec’s. The pulley’s are March Billet ones that convert it over to serpentine style belts. And lastly the alternator is out of a 02 Dodge truck 136amp.

EXTRAS!!!(you don’t have to take any of it, but if you don’t want to use it, you can sell it and reclaim some of your purchase price. It is all included in the auction, because once I sell this project car I have no reason to keep any of it.)

• Extra differential that goes with the car, it is an 8.8 Ford unit out of a fox body mustang. I do not know what gears are in it as I haven’t opened it up yet. There is a thread going over on forabodiesonly.com that details people doing this swap.
• A set of manual transmission pedals.
• A 5 speed manual transmission that is out of a Dodge Dakota. It has the proper bell housing already attached.
• A 5.7L Hemi long block. It has no valve train at all, no accessories or timing cover, no valve covers, and no oil pan. But the heads are complete(valves, springs and retainers), and the short block has crank, rods, pistons, cam, lifters, and timing chain and gears in it.
• Six pack fiberglass hood scoop that goes with the car
• A set of 360 iron heads. I believe they have stronger valve springs in them than stock, but I’m not positive, they are an emissions era head and already have the emissions ports blocked.
• The original steering wheel without the center portion;
• A block hardware kit from Mopar;
• Extra quarts of oil and Trans fluid that I have for the car;
• Jet and metering rod kit for the carburetor; and
• 1971 Illinois license plates

All of these items are included in the auction. Again I know I am forgetting some items but they will all go with the car as well.

I’ve done the best I can to provide you with all the details I know about this car. I have put into this car well over double what the reserve is on this and I feel that the buyer is getting a good deal at this price. Please don’t low ball me, or offer me trades, I just need the cash. If the deposit for the car is not received in 24 hours, I will re-list the item and report you to eBay so I can recoup my listing fees. If you have any other questions please email me and I will do my best to answer you. Thanks for looking!!

Here are some more pic's. Going on ebay in about 2 hours. I'll post the link when I get it posted.

http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02518_zpsc2f21c82.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02519_zps75406a43.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02520_zps2002f5da.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02521_zpse851b25f.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02522_zpsc20bf138.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02523_zpsf053bf7f.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02524_zps7b0a4fe6.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02525_zps12e5b50a.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02526_zpsbdd912c9.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02527_zps48cd7ca6.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02528_zps1c021700.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02529_zps45640fdc.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02531_zps312f5599.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02533_zps7a56bf91.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02534_zpsb8af54c1.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02535_zps456ff649.jpg.html
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/duster366/media/DSC02537_zpsaa4818db.jpg.html

this is BY FAR the most detailed, descript for sale add ive ever seen and read :cheers:
excellent add and nice ride GLWYS !!!

Agreed. I`m trying to sell a car and a pile of Charger parts to get this.

Well the first ebay auction didn't get close to the reserve at all. Do you think the reserve is too much? Any thoughts on this is appreciated. Thanks!

Dan

i have seen much less car going for much more. i dont think its high myself. you couldnt build this car and have paint on it for less IMO. i would just be patient with it, especially with the elections going on. it will sell , just give it some time.

Nice car. You couldn't come close to building this car for that money good luck with your sale and free bump.

i have seen much less car going for much more. i dont think its high myself. you couldnt build this car and have paint on it for less IMO. i would just be patient with it, especially with the elections going on. it will sell , just give it some time.
I agree the price is very fair but how fast do you want to sale it ... hope you get your price

Well I don't need to sell it, but I would like to sell. I am kind of over it and would like to move on to something else, not necessarily a car, I don't know right now. At this point I just want the cash and then when I make my mind up what I want then I can just go buy it.

But since I don't have anything in mind right now I can sit on it for awhile. I have a couple people coming over in the coming weeks to take a look. If nothing comes of that it will go on ebay again and again if necessary. As stated I also think its the complete wrong time of the year but its when I decided to sell it. Stay tuned if it goes back on ebay again I'll let FABO know. Thanks for all of your input and suggestions. Thanks!

Dan

Car is sold. If the deal falls through I will let you all know, but I doubt that will happen. I also sent the new owner over to FABO so he can learn from all of you. Thanks again for all of the help and advice over the years and more recently with the questions I had for selling the car. I'll still be around just lurking a lot more since I am now out of Mopar's. Thanks again!

Dan

First I like the way the car looks and second sometimes I don't know whether to be mad when I see listing like this or laugh. why? I will explain why. most people buy a car like this type meaning old muscle cars to fix up the way they want them.

I couldn't see spending the kind of money you spent on this (meaning engine, etc.) and then turn around and sell it. you should have spent some of that money restoring the body ( like the bottom back quarter panels, wheel wells etc. and those other messed up and rusted areas like in the trunk and under the car.

Back to what I was saying most people who spend money and fix a car up is to fix it the way they want because they plan to keep, it show it off, race it whatever. personally, I could see paying what you are asking for or even twice that if the car was stock and ad a good solid body meaning no rust at all. but to spend that kind of money for something someone else made the way they wanted. and then I buy it and all I'm going to do is end up ripping everything out and start from scratch to make it the way I want it.

I personally prefer smomething closer to stock maybe make some basic but simple modification like if the car had pints update it to the chrysler electronic ignition that the 74 on up had in it. maybe fuel injection throttle body thing I could easily change back if I decided to sell the car.

Perfect example IL Duster you cut the big *** hole in the hood for that stupid looking air filter not to mention that big bulky looking hood scoop looks like some took a big old shovel and turn it upside down and painted it black and plopped it up on the hood. they do make force air ram that go under the hood. now who ever buys it has to get another hood I'm sure they aren't going to keep that .

All in all my point is if I bought a car I would rather start from scrtach with the basic car and build up not have to buy something someone built and then tear it down and then build it the way I want it. I wish you luck IL Duster.:prayer:

I'm not quite sure how to take your post??????
First I like the way the car looks and second sometimes I don't know whether to be mad when I see listing like this or laugh. why? I will explain why. most people buy a car like this type meaning old muscle cars to fix up the way they want them.

I couldn't see spending the kind of money you spent on this (meaning engine, etc.) and then turn around and sell it. you should have spent some of that money restoring the body ( like the bottom back quarter panels, wheel wells etc. and those other messed up and rusted areas like in the trunk and under the car.

Back to what I was saying most people who spend money and fix a car up is to fix it the way they want because they plan to keep, it show it off, race it whatever. personally, I could see paying what you are asking for or even twice that if the car was stock and ad a good solid body meaning no rust at all. but to spend that kind of money for something someone else made the way they wanted. and then I buy it and all I'm going to do is end up ripping everything out and start from scratch to make it the way I want it.

I personally prefer smomething closer to stock maybe make some basic but simple modification like if the car had pints update it to the chrysler electronic ignition that the 74 on up had in it. maybe fuel injection throttle body thing I could easily change back if I decided to sell the car.

Perfect example IL Duster you cut the big *** hole in the hood for that stupid looking air filter not to mention that big bulky looking hood scoop looks like some took a big old shovel and turn it upside down and painted it black and plopped it up on the hood. they do make force air ram that go under the hood. now who ever buys it has to get another hood I'm sure they aren't going to keep that .

All in all my point is if I bought a car I would rather start from scrtach with the basic car and build up not have to buy something someone built and then tear it down and then build it the way I want it. I wish you luck IL Duster.:prayer:

Really ?
I see your new here...if you don't like it move on.

..... not to mention that big bulky looking hood scoop looks like some took a big old shovel and turn it upside down and painted it black and plopped it up on the hood....

Sorry have you been around MoPars muchat all? Thats a classic Mopar hoodscoop design that I've seen on litterally DOZENS of cars. I see your point on the hole in the hood tho, just a little big for my taste.

Besides, it's go before show, always has been. If you stick around here long enough you'll learn ALOT from the people here, if not... well, no difference made.

yes,I have own to of these cars. my point is just because you fix a car up the way . most people who buy a car period is going to want to fix it up there way not spend a lot of money to buy the way someone else fixed it upyou want doesn't mean anyone else is going to want to buy it that. I have seen hundreds no thousand of mopars and they all didn't have that scoop on them so no they are not on every car. and to respnd to someones elses comment yes, I have moved on seeya.so peace motivators:glasses7:

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back