1972 Big Block Charger

-

challengergary

Reaction score
Well, started on the next customer project today. It's a numbers matching 1972 Charger with 400 4 barrel. It's Hemi Orange with black vinyl roof and interior.

First step was to strip the vinyl top and trim to see how bad it was under there. Verdict - not too good. Had to pull the windshield (which was cracked anyways) due to a visibly rusty roof rail. Gonna have to weld some new metal in there. Good thing the headliner is already shot 'cause it needs to come out so that I can weld some patches in.

Goal is to have my portion of the car done (body, paint, vinyl top, headliner) within about a month...

I will try to update as often as possible...

day 1 7-30-10.jpg

roof 1.jpg

roof 2.jpg

roof 3.jpg

roof 4.jpg

roof 5.jpg

roof 6.jpg

roof 7.jpg

The rest of the body is amazing. There is only one rust spot that is about the size of an old silver dollar. The roof was just so screwed up by the vinyl it's not funny. I'll be pulling the seats and headliner out on Monday to start welding on the roof.

kinda rare car man, not many chargers u see with a 400 and a 4 barrel

Oh, and vinyl tops look real good, but after all the trouble they make, its not worth it when u pull it off and see that. Ickkkkkk

I have a good friend who last year was parting two 72 Chargers. He may have a good roof, and he sells mopar parts. PM me if you are interested and I will give you his #.

I wish the floors in my '73 Charger looked that good. Right now it has the Flintstone option.

That vinyl top area looks darn near identical to my Dart's when it was removed.
The shop guys ground it down to shiny metal, POR15'ed it, primered it and then put the new top on. Did a great job and you'd have no idea the metal was ever as rusted out as it had been.
Good luck, keep the photos coming.

That vinyl top area looks darn near identical to my Dart's when it was removed.
The shop guys ground it down to shiny metal, POR15'ed it, primered it and then put the new top on. Did a great job and you'd have no idea the metal was ever as rusted out as it had been.
Good luck, keep the photos coming.

That's pretty much what I am doing - just got to weld some patches in the worst places...

Yesterday, after the rust treatment was allowed to cure overnight, I welded patches along the roof/windshield channel, skim coated the worst parts of the rest of the roof with duraglass, and then went to work making the roof straight. While waiting for the primer to dry on the roof so that I could block it, I removed the front valance and bumper - OMG - that bumper and brackets must weigh almost 150#'s!!! I could barely pick it up!

roof 9.jpg

roof 12.jpg

2010-08-04 12.56.28.jpg

minus front bumper.jpg

roof 17.jpg

roof 18.jpg

roof 19.jpg

Nice. Be sure you check the block casting number it may have the 230 casting thick main 400.

great work, man! the 71-74 chargers are my favorite years. i had two of them. stick bugs are cool too. LOL

I like that black Ramcharger in your driveway...Almost exactly what I was looking for years ago. :(

I like that black Ramcharger in your driveway...Almost exactly what I was looking for years ago. :(

Thanks - that's my daily driver. Picked it up a few months ago for a grand. It's rust free and runs okay. Think I have a bad O2 sensor though as it is really rough when I try to step on it. I added a set of 17" Mustang Bullit wheels to it and love the way it looks now. One of these days I have to fix up the interior but for now, she's my Beater...

Braved the 105 degree heat (116 heat index) and stripped all of the patina and faded paint from the hood and fenders. Then hit it with the first coat of urethane primer

hood pic 1.jpg

hood pic 2.jpg

hood pic 3.jpg

hood pic 4.jpg

-
Back