1972 dart - stopped running while at 50 mph ? no warning

-
hmm , pretty much just burned up the wire in seconds , probably need a bigger wire . wait , maybe i went to the wrong terminal . i should sleep more .

Sounds like you have a direct short to ground with your hot wire.

Get a light on that coil so you can clearly see the + and - on the coil terminals.

Sounds like you have a direct short to ground with your hot wire.

Get a light on that coil so you can clearly see the + and - on the coil terminals.

first go was wrong terminal , went to the negative on coil by mistake , instantly melted . second try hot wired to positive terminal for about ten seconds . turned the key , but nothing happened . no crank . using small wires though

first go was wrong terminal , went to the negative on coil by mistake , instantly melted . second try hot wired to positive terminal for about ten seconds . turned the key , but nothing happened . no crank . using small wires though

You still need to have your battery cables hooked up to the battery from the car so you can crank it over with the key.

Hopefully your starter relay, and neutral safety switch are working correctly providing power to the starter when you hit the key.

You still need to have your battery cables hooked up to the battery from the car so you can crank it over with the key.

Hopefully your starter relay, and neutral safety switch are working correctly providing power to the starter when you hit the key.

The Hot Wire to the coil is just isolating the Power from your car in case you have ignition wiring problems up the line with the ignition system.

Have you pulled the rotor off and reinstalled it ? My neighbor had a 68 GTX that died all of a sudden and after jacking around with it for a while we found the rotor had jumped up and was just spinning on the shaft. It would turn with the cap off but stayed stationary with the cap on . Never seen that happen before .

The Hot Wire to the coil is just isolating the Power from your car in case you have ignition wiring problems up the line with the ignition system.

tried it again with the remote starter switch , it just cranks , no start . using small alligator clip lead though for the hot wire , do i need like jumper cables or something bigger than these ?

You are fine with the alligator clip on the Hot + post of the coil.

Put an old spark plug in the #1 cylinder spark plug wire and ground the body of the plug.

Now crank it over with the remote starter to see that that spark plug is sparking. may have to turn the lights down to help see the spark.

You are fine with the alligator clip on the Hot + post of the coil.

Put an old spark plug in the #1 cylinder spark plug wire and ground the body of the plug.

Now crank it over with the remote starter to see that that spark plug is sparking. may have to turn the lights down to help see the spark.

i think i covered this earlier today with a spark tester attached to the number 1 wire . there was NO spark .

OK, then you have to start back tracking to where there is spark, like the coil wire.

see if you can get that coil wire snapping as you hold it 1/8" from ground as you are cranking it over.

Last edited:
OK, then you have to start back tracking to where there is spark, like the coil wire.

yes ok , there was spark from the coil wire , just not after that . i remote started with cap off as well and though the points were opening and closing , there was no sparks or sparking sounds from them .

Points are just the Switch that breaks the circuit to the Coil Power. The Coil is what generates the spark as it builds energy between the points opening again on the next cylinder.

Sounds like you are chasing it back to a bad distributor cap and or a rotor that is not conducting electricity to the cylinder terminals in the dist. cap.

Distributor caps can fail. They can also establish hairline cracks from heat. or carbon spark trails inside that redirect the current to the wrong cylinders or just straight to ground.

Rule number 1: Electricity follows the path of least resistance.
So make sure all contacts and terminals are clean, good proven plug wires too.

Last edited:
Take us a few pictures of the top of your engine and the wiring coil layout so we can see what you are doing.

Post them up here.

The Charging System has nothing to do with the cranking and running, so don't bother going down that road.
Here is a quick-check for a jumped chain.
Find the plugwire that goes to #1 sparkplug. Mark the side of the distributor in a direct line, with the center of the tower. Pop the cap off. Make sure your rotor is fully seated. Turn the crankshaft, until the rotor comes to the mark you made. Remove the #1 sparkplug. See if the piston is close to TDC. If it is not, make it so. After you have done that as close as you can, read the balancer. You are looking for a matching TDC mark on the balancer , that is aligned with the TDC on the timing tab. We are not looking for perfection yet. When you find it, Move the crank to indicate about 10 to 15 degrees advanced.
Now go back to the rotor and see where it is relative to the mark you made;
a) If the rotor is less than 1/4 of the distance between towers, this is a good indication that the chain has not jumped. but
b) If the rotor is more than half-way towards either next closer tower, the engine will not run no matter how ferocious a spark it has.
c) If the rotor is even more than this, farther away, then the chain has jumped
d) if the rotor does not move with the crank, then the chain is likely broken.

If you suspect no spark;
Turn the crank until the points are open. Near ground your coil-wire, .25inch should be good.
Find a small screwdriver with a small shank on it. remove the rotor. Turn the key to run.
Now short the backside of the point arm to the base plate, with a plunge and recoil action. That is to say, your screwdriver will be acting like the points. You should see a tiny spark on the screwdriver tip during the action, and a simultaneous spark at the near-grounded coilwire.
If you do NOT see a spark at the screwdriver, one of five things is wrong;
1) there is no power at the coil negative
2) the point plate is not grounded.
3) the condenser is internally shorting to ground.
4) the screwdriver is non-conductive.
5) the wire from the coil to the points is defective.
Figure out which it is and fix it; easy-peasy.

Take us a few pictures of the top of your engine and the wiring coil layout so we can see what you are doing.

Post them up here.

HPIM1532.JPG

HPIM1534.JPG

HPIM1535.JPG

HPIM1536.JPG

HPIM1537.JPG

HPIM1538.JPG

Your main Coil Lead to the the Distributor is bad, it is folded beyond 90 degress is thin and flat and broken internally.

Replace with another proven coil wire.

Bad Coil Wire.png

FoldedCoilWire.png

What does the spark at coil output look like? Is it good and blue and how long does it get?

Also, have you tried starting it with everything "normally" connected but with a jumper right to coil +?

Does the rotor look good? clean? Any sign of carbon through the middle to the shaft?

As clean as the cap / wiring looks I'm doubting that.

What does the spark at coil output look like? Is it good and blue and how long does it get?

Also, have you tried starting it with everything "normally" connected but with a jumper right to coil +?

Does the rotor look good? clean? Any sign of carbon through the middle to the shaft?

it was hard to see from where i was . described it a bit in above posts on page one , but it looked good from where i was , pretty sure it was blue and i had the adjustable tester at about 3/8" . also got spark out of the coil wire too , everything from today i posted above , well , on the first page .

yes did try jumper to coil , same result , no start . rotor / cap look good to me , i didn't check the underside of the rotors shaft yet .
HPIM1539.JPG
HPIM1540.JPG
HPIM1541.JPG
HPIM1542.JPG

Last edited:
these from earlier today and really early today

slight update . before going to the auto parts store to get the spark tester and alligator leads , i thought i should check a few things in case i need parts . just adding it here in case it points to something . i tested the condenser ( i think ) with a test light between the coil to dist. wire contact and its location on the coil , with key ON . i did not light up . meaning probably good according to something online . not 100% but if it did light up , it would mean a problem with it . "cleaned" the dist. wire and condenser contacts under the cap and the condenser body and its clamp with 320 sandpaper . tested the dist to coil wire for resistance . it was not getting a steady reading before cleaning the contacts with 320 , after it read a solid 0.2 - 0.3 ohms on the multimeter . not sure what it should be . ( later on i remembered the grommet for that wire on the dist. housing was kinda worn out . so maybe the wire is touching the housing . not sure if that would be enough to cause this condition . but i will look at it again later . ) i reset the points gap , and actually got a dwell reading this time . near 20 to 25 i think which i thought was close enough for now . after all these i hit the carb with a shot of starting fluid and still nothing . no start . then pumped the gas and tried in park and then again in neutral . still zero . next tested resistance of the coil to cap wire , but could not get a steady reading . it would just flash a number briefly before going back to 1 , but flashed anywhere from 565 to 998 . so i got the 74 valiant slant six started up , and after a short warming . took out its coil wire and put the darts in there . the valiant ran , seemingly just fine . i did not try the valiants coil wire in the dart , because i don't want that to get screwed up by whatevers going on with the dart . just paranoid probably , but not doing that . i checked the resistance of the ballast and got a reading of 1.7 and 1.8 , but , again , not sure what that is supposed to be . also , i grabbed the rotor and tried to turn it to check for play . did not move in one direction , did move a little/some the other way , and slowly returned a bit . not sure how fast it should spring back , but the dist. is old/original . i looked for a ground strap behind the motor , looking for one going to the firewall , but did not see any . however i did see this wire that looks really questionable down where it touches the trans ? where its been getting coated with oil and dirt for 50 years . what is that ? is it something with the neutral safety switch ? ( black wire , right of center , both photos ) thanks again , everyone .

View attachment 1715870856

View attachment 1715870857

ok , so i tried to check the timing , with a remote starter switch , but could not get the timing light to flash much at all , one or two random flashes , and nothing . tried two different timing lights a few times each , same result or nothing . i feel like i am doing something wrong . so i could not find a solid core wire , so i used what i have . i tried to check spark at first with the remote starter . zero from coil or plug wire number 1 . then i re read what you said a few times ( i takes me awhile ) and tried with the key . from what i could see looked like an ok to good spark , had the gap at about 3/8" , from looking between the bottom of the hood and cowl and with sun in the mix . heard a zap zap sparky sounds too . tried the same thing by putting the wire with tester in the cap where number 1 goes . got nothing , no spark , no happy sounds . then pulled the cap , pressed the remote starter , rotor is spinning , points are opening and closing , but no sparky goodness from those either .

Well if you have spark at the coil, you need to get it to go through the distrubutor cap and out the spark plug wires.

3 things make an engine run:

1. Compression
2. Ignition
3. Fuel

Simple especially with a points distributor. Try putting in a new set of points and condenser. Spray down the top of that distributor with wd-40 then blow out with compressed air. dry dirty mess in there. Should be clean and lightly lubed.

Let's try it this way. You may not have hot enough spark. Jumper power to the coil direct. By the way do NOT leave this connected any longer than necessary than to make the test. If the engine fires and runs, you can leave it connected for a minute or two. This is hard on the coil and points

Now with the jumper connected, crank the engine by using a screwdriver between the two bare terminals on the starter relay, the "big stud" and the "big square" terminal"

Now you can see the spark and see how good or how bad it really is.

I am "assuming" this because you say "no spark at plugs." The rotor, cap and wires do not look too bad. The only thing left in that mix is the coil wire. You can check it (and the other wires) with an ohmeter

Bend up the tab on the rotor a bit to make sure it is making contact with the cap.

Screenshot_20220216-181704_Gallery.jpg

By the looks of things, you probably have the old heavy slow turning Original mopar starter In it yet too. They suck a lot of electricity away from the ignition system especially after 50 years of age wear and electrical internal corrosion.

Put in a new Mini Starter that fit the Dodge Dakotas, they start like they have fuel injection with those.

Spins them fast and draws way less juice. More juice to power your ignition.

-
Back