1972 Duster Build

-
I was actually looking at getting the same exact tire for my Sport except on 15x8s with 5.25 backspacing. I still have to do some measuring but based on your's that should be perfect with the 8.8

The last picture I posted shows the rear just sitting under the car before doing any aligning.... The wheels that the tires are on in the pic are 15x10's with 3.75" BS and when we did the final centering and aligning of the rear, the tires sit just about 3/8" past the outside edge of the upper wheel well opening on both sides. Going with 15x10's with 5.5" BS will pull them in enough to tuck them under the wheel wells with minimal trimming and rolling of the lip. Hopefully....

Got a few hours of shop time tonight. Brian and I were able to relocate the upper shock mounts to fit the coil over brackets and installed the heavier springs. Went with the 160lb springs and it was a good thing it dropped the rear wells within 3/8" from the top of the tire!

I'm ordering my Rallye's tomorrow and they have 2" more back spacing than the rims that are on the car. This will suck them right up into the wells and tubs with plenty of room to spare. It's got 195/75/r14's on the front on a 6" rim. Going with 215/65/r15's which will widen it a bit and give it about 1/2" more height in front. It's got about a 3% rake to the front and to me it looks mean and nasty.

Still waiting on a few brackets to finish up the ladder bars and track locator then I can move on to the sheet metal and the rest of the cage.

These pics keep reminding me how much fun it's going to be to tackle that tail panel. It's got more dimples than Rosie O'donnel's ***...:banghead:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 372
My adapter bushings (allows for bolting the 5/8" rod ends to the 3/4" brackets and torquing to 65lbs without binding) for the front ladder bar brackets came in the mail from Chris Alston Chassis Works yesterday. I also got a quote from them for the side cage bars to complete the forward portion of my cage.

Hopefully I can get to the shop this weekend to install the bushings and start working on my diagonal link assembly. I'm also putting a deposit down on my Rallyes today. Going 56 Series Rallyes with 15x10 with 5.5" BS on rear and 15x7 with 4.5" BS, trim rings and caps with 275/60/15 rear - 215/65/15 front Cooper Cobra GT's. Will take about 3 weeks to get them.

Got a couple hours at the shop today. Helped my buddy work on his Ram Charger project a bit, we're dropping in a new floor in the back with the hardware and tracks for leather bucket seats and a third row bench out of a Chrysler mini van. It's looking good.

On the Duster I ground the heavy tack welds off of the shock mount brackets and flipped them over and re tacked them. This will give me a lot more adjustability on the coil overs for my ride height. We also got all of the front floor cuts welded to the sub frame connectors where the connector comes through the floor on each side and attaches to the rear cross member on the rear frame rails. Felt good to get those all welded in, I can now start working on closing up the floor behind the cross member and up to the tubs, then on to the driveline tunnel.

Pulled my deck lid back off and cleaned up the welds on my modified deck hinges and then cut a side off of some square tubing and fashioned the supports for the bottom of the hinges for the structural strength. My buddy was going to finish welding these up tonight and then I'll hit them with a flap wheel and clean them up in the next day or so.

Rebuilt my carb last week and got it bolted back on. Need to get trans cooling lines, a lower radiator hose, finish wiring the electric fan and the fill with fluids so we can get her started soon!

All in all, a good day!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 283
Counting down the days until my wheels come in, hopefully be just one more week....

56 Series Chrysler Rallye's 15x10 rear and 15x7 fronts
Dark center caps and trim rings all around.

Can't wait!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 267
Over the last couple of weeks I've been slowly getting some shop time, it's Lacrosse season so a lot of the evenings and weekends have been taken up with practices and games.

I've cut out the old roll bar hoop and tacked in the new 1-3/4" hoop and cut and fitted the rear strut bars. Fabricated most of the rear firewall panels for the package tray and down over the top of the tubs and the middle of the frame rails. The floors are all welded up to the subframe and buttoned up and I've made some brackets for the new bucket seats. Still have a long way to go to finish all the seams on the tubs and sealing them up to the fender panels.

Made a run down to San Jose to pick up my new Rallye Wheels, caps, trim rings and Cooper Cobra GT's. Gotta get back into the shop to get a bunch done in the next couple of weeks so I can get the suspension and shock brackets finish welded on the axle and maybe start some body work on the rear quarter and tail light panel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 216
Happy Easter, He is Risen!

Got the smoke rolling out of the smoker and doing its thing to an Apricot smothered ham and some bacon wrapped asparagus... Heavenly smells!

Wow, can't believe how long it's been since I've posted here. I hit the shop last weekend for the first time since the first week of June. Way too many family things going on over the summer, and man that shop can get toasty when it's 115 degrees out! Last weekend was pretty much getting back into the groove and trying to remember where I was with everything. I did help my shop buddy get a little work done on a trailer we are building and we were able to get a bit of work done on the roll cage.

The main hoop is now welded into place as well as the cross bar across the back. We got the two long tubes heavy tacked in place from the main hoop down to the rear frame rails. Picked up another stick of tubing to cut the small supports from the main hoop to the front frame rails and the door bars. Plan on fabricating my own swing out hinges for them as well.

Hope to get back in there this weekend to keep the momentum going. Updated pictures soon.

At the shop today getting a bit of play time. So far I've cut the small down bars for the main hoop and decided to grind out the bondo and window screen from the rear passenger quarter. It could be worse I was happy to see it was all below the body line.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Glad to see you back at it! Haven't been doing much myself. Been enjoying my new place too much and autocrossing the Challenger. Hopefully firing up my motor over the holidays though.

Glad to see you back at it! Haven't been doing much myself. Been enjoying my new place too much and autocrossing the Challenger. Hopefully firing up my motor over the holidays though.

Trying to get one full day on the weekends and a few hours or so during the week.

My buddies and I had a productive weekend, got the brakes rebuilt on the axle that's going under the trailer we're building, hung the springs and welded on the new perches. My roll cage is now completely welded in place and looks great. Brian did a lot of "yoga" to get to some of the welds on the cage, I owe him some lunch!

He also got all my ladder bar and shock brackets welded out. Pulled the "S" spring out of the rear and we were able to get the spider gears in place, now have to get that spring back in. The rear just needs a bit of cleaning up and some fresh paint to finish it out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

-
Back