1973 318 hesitation?

-

Airdwayne

Reaction score
I just bought a 73 dart swinger with a 318 2brl carb and auto trans a few days ago and joined this forum a day later. i think you can call my problem hesitation. takes a few minutes to start when cold but immediately when warm. but when accelerating off idle, it appears to bog or hesitate. hard to really explain but ill try. when accelerating, you can hear the rpms increase but car just goes slow. even on the freeway takes a little bit to get up to speed. at first i was hoping the parking brake wasnt engaged. thought maybe it was just because the carb was 2brl. can anybody help me out with this. i would love to not burn through the gas as thats what im fearing. my fuel gauge seems to fluctuate so i have no clue one how much i have. ive looked into that and my temp gauge works.

i will take a stab and say you have a worn out accelerator pump. of course , this is without being there lol

it really hasnt been sitting. he would use it on occasion before parking it at his moms for a week or 2 only cruising every now and then.

How long has the car been sitting?

:thumbup: If the car been sitting too long, the fuel isnt good anymore, it could caused the hesitate

Remove, clean gas tank and rebuild the carb, drive for 2 days, car should run better

If the RPM's increase but it's not accelerating then Maybe something's holding it back. Does it roll freely in neutral down a slight decline?? Torque converter or Brakes locking up could cause that. Or if the R's are increasing but nothing's holding it back then possibly the Transmission is slipping.

The key words in you original post are RPM's are increasing and that you hoped the Parking Brake wasn't engaging.

As the previous members have said, the accelerator pump would cause your off idle problems. Not easy to tell about what you mean as far as the highway speed acceleration. If your not just expecting to much from a stock 318, then the fuel system could very well be a issue there too. When was a good tune and timing done to it last?

OwdKasd said:
possibly the Transmission is slipping.

That's the first thing that popped into my head also......just was a little hesitant to go there this soon :D.

oh you wont scare me. thanks to everyone. not sure of how official thank each one of you on here yet. but i will for sure check out all things mentioned.

oh you wont scare me. thanks to everyone. not sure of how official thank each one of you on here yet. but i will for sure check out all things mentioned.

in the lower right corner there is a thanks button :D

in my original post stated that i thought it may be a combination of the trans slipping and the carb needing a rebuild. if it were me, i would drain the trans fluid and fill it up with fresh ATF, replace the filter and get you a rebuild kit for the carb. chances are it is a carter BBD and the kits are only $17.00. i would change the fuel filter . i would also inspect the fuel coming out of the tank to make sure it isnt orange or brown from a rusted tank. this is one reason i temporarily run a clear fuel filter to SEE the condition of the fuel entering the carb. LOL

I am thinkin really loose convertor and highway gears like 2.71s or 2.94s.
We had a 83 Mirada and it did the same thing it would be screamin and get beat by a kid on a bike up hill.

-
Back