1973 Dart Sport 340...Restore or Burger King?

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I need your help. Everyone and anybody with an opinion, cuz I don't know what I want to do/should do. Here is the dilemna...

I bought a 73' Dart Sport 340 last year. No engine/trans, and I'm not sure if the rear is original or not. I'm missing the fender tag and build sheet, but the vin/body stampings all match. It starts out LM29H3B, so it is a 340 car.

First..THE GOOD--Its got all its original paint, and it is JY6 Gold metallic. Not much rust, it will need a passenger side rear floor pan, drivers side trunk extension, some patches on the quarters (small ones), and a little rust repair around the rear window. I've got all the sheet metal needed, from a 72 Demon, to repair it, except for the trunk extension. It is missing alot of parts, but it still has enough on it to be able to tell what it came with from the factory. Here they are--
--Power Disc Brakes
--Vinyl half-top
--Sport mirrors
--Dual snorkel scoop
--Buckets/console
--Automatic
--Air Conditioning
--Black interior/top, door panels and dash have the woodgrain
--Wheelwell trim, bumper guards
--26" radiator
--Fold down rear seat

Now, for THE BAD--
--When I bought it, it was missing alot. NO buckets, a cracked/severely pitted console, a column shift steering column, 72' and earlier V8 K-member with a ps box that was missing the top peice. (It has the 73 and up centerlink tho...it gets better.) Also came with the earlier style lower control arms with sway bar tabs, and the complete sway bar assembly. It had the newer, correct disc brake set up tho (sold it). It was missing the grille, hoodscoop, dash cluster, and the wiring was destroyed. Did come with most of the a/c parts tho.

and the REST.
I have a 340/422 stroker that I've asked some questions about on here a few times. That is the engine that will bring the car back to life. I also hae a 904 trans that was recently rebuilt with a 3300 stall, but I'm not too sure it will last long behind that stroker. Different topic altogether. Here are the parts I have acquired for it--
--another FABO member (not sure if he wants his name mentioned, but he is building a BAD-*** 73' Duster.) sold me his reinforced 73' K-member, lower control arms with tabs and stiffening plates/new bushings, adjustable strut rods, some awesome tie rod ends/sleeves, 73' disc spindles with AR brackets, Wilwood calipers, and slotted/cross-drilled rotors, a new idler arm, reman stage 2 ps box, and lots of other awesome parts for an AWESOME price.
--FABO member sourced TTI 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step headers, awesome price.
--FABO member 72 E-body buckets (anyone need some E-body mounts?)
--73' A-body mounts
--OEM dash harness
--73' 340 Fan shroud/overflow bottle
--really nice used console/shifter
--Badarts tubular rad support (they cut the original out as it was bent pretty bad)
--lots of other little odds and ends, mostly from FABO guys. Pretty much the only people I trust anymore.

I don't know what to do. Should I paint it the original color, and make it how it appears it should have been when it was new? Or, pick a new color (I'll be starting with the bare shell, painting everything body color) and make it how I would have bought it? I know I'll be putting the suspension on, and the brakes. I want to make sure my family is safe. I just don't know what to do about the color. I'm keeping the A/C on, going with the Bouchillion brackets to use the small sanden compressor. Not sure if I should run 15" rallys (I always forget how to spell it the right way.), or torq thrusts, or some 17" wheels. Keeping the black top/interior. Should I keep the stroker for something else and build a stockish 340/727 combo? I'm leaning more towards the Burger King have it your way attitude, since I'm missing the fender tag/bs, and I don't have any way to prove what it came with other than my pics.

Give me suggestions. Please. Color, or drivetrain, or wheels, what ever you have to say about it. I'll try to post some pics.

Thanks everone, in advance!!
Dustin

When it came home...

DSCF0570.jpg

DSCF0568.jpg

SDC10839copy.jpg

DSCF0918.jpg

DSCF0908-1.jpg

needs a resto, and even if correct,they are not the bread winners...........................burger king it your way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is you car you will have to be the one driving it, so build it the way you want to

Thanks guys!! I'm kind of leaning that way...except, I'm not sure how I want to build it lol. If I change the color, it will either be a color close to the one Summit sells, Ice Blue Metallic (or something like that) or Dark Indigo Blue. Both would have a black top/black hoodscoop/and maybe black sidestripes. Not sure about the hood treatment, and I don't want the tail panel black. Here are some examples.
263068_238933382792840_217831511569694_899973_3270143_n.jpg

1011sr_17_zed_vannoy_1933_pontiac_sedan2010_street_rodder_charlotte_top_100.jpg

Your car, your statement...if anybody says sh@t to you, just ask them "Well, why didn't you buy it and do it 'right?Just shut your mouth, I didn't ask you"

Do it your way. Cool cars and it may not have a ton of value now but they are going to get cheaper. However missing the fender tag and build sheet kinda kill the whole going stock route.

Build it the way you want.
I kinda like the original color, but if you want to go blue, i would go with the darker shade.
These cars look great with white stripes and B5 blue, rallye wheels, and the dual snorkle hood scoop.

Build it how you want it. I am also building a 73 340 4spd Dart Sport ......my way

build that car anyway you want to. the jury is back. without any real paperwork or a trim tag and outside of being a 340 car, its not in super collector car status. i would ditch the vinyl roof, add rallye wheels and all the cool appearance stripes and options you can throw at it, but thats just me.

Build it the way you want and drive the snot out of It,...Thats what I'm doin,...and the fold down rear seat is cool as well.

Guess I'll jump in with the majority. Do it up how you want, but I really like that Ice Blue color on the axe you posted.

Grant

I'd run a Black 3/4 Vinyl Top on it, a black top really sets off the appearance of these cars.

Of course, I'm saying this because my first car (the '73 340/727 Dart Sport) is/was a 2-Tone Blue car, with a Black 3/4 Top, Sunroof, Direct Connection Cowl Hood and Direct Connection Spoiler.

Check out Prines Dart Sports, Black, Black canopy top, black stripe, black interior.

Thanks for the input! You guys pretty much reinforced my gut feeling...its Burger King time!! (actually, a whopper sounds pretty good right now.)

I think its going to be a close to stock looking build, but with some body bracing. May make it look like I took out the stock 340 and dropped in the stroker, I'll try and keep everything but the engine looking stock.

Not sure on the color tho. I thought about going the triple/quadruple black route, but I'll be doing the body work. I'm going to try to make it as perfect as possible, but I'm a little worried I won't be able to pull off black. Red does look good, I like the thread that Adam started the other day with the red 73 and the tiger sitting on the hoodscoop lol. That car got me thinking about red, but I've never been a big fan of red, always blue. I'm afraid I'd end up regretting it. Here is what I've decided, so far:
---Dual Snorkel scoop, black
---FULL vinyl top, black (I just don't like the partial tops as much, I dunno why.)
---Black interior
---painted sport mirrors
---wheelwell moulding, new trim/chrome
Now, for the maybes:
---340 side stripes, black
---Go wing
---hood treatment
I think I have it down to the factory color, or one of the two blues that I put pics up of. The light blue is similar to the 66' Valiant that I had that was blue. I keep going back to the ice blue in my mind.

Ice blue, black top/interior, go wing and scoop, I think that would look awesome. For the wheels, I'm not sure. Torq Thrust would look good, but some chrome or polished 17's would look good too. Not sure if I want to relocate the springs and move the wheelwells in, looks like it may be a pain with the fold down seat. Keep the ideas and opinions, and pictures, coming!!!

I'm gonna check out prines car now...

IMO...missing Data Tag and Build Sheet is the perfect excuse to "Have it Your Way".

Thanks Adam for the mention, the Dart Sport I bought for my wife (which I Daily Drive while my Duster is in the Body Shop) is 4x Black...as far as I can tell From the Factory 318 2bbl, 904,7.25, TX9, Black Interior, 3/4 vinyl top, and Stripe.
Melsdartsport008.jpg

Melsdartsport014.jpg

I like it alot....and I get Alot of Comments around town at businesses, or at the gas stations, and sitting at red lights.

But to me....after owning a Black Mopar.....I realized it really is a pretty Dull, not to bright or standout'ish color....doesnt really attract to much visual attention, and for the most part doesnt do much for anyones' eyes.

I vote RED RED....black interior, V21 Hood Treatment, Black Over the top stripe.

reminds me of the car my MOM bought new in 1973....just with black stripes/interior.
Moms73DartSport340.jpg

Interior Like THIS:
Brown73DartSport06.jpg

Brown73DartSport08.jpg

Brown73DartSport07.jpg

I think BLUE is a cursed color....and refuse to own a BLUE vehicle.....I love the way it pops in the sunlight when its cleaned and buffed, dont get me wrong.....but over all it just feels gut wrong to me.....my .02 only.

I'll definetly be staying tuned to your build.....I love these cars.

I had a red 74 when it wasn't but 4 years old but when it came time to paint this one I had to go with the original color but there are a few red ones in my area but as lots of folks said, it's yours do as you please

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 741
Mine should be black,but I can't afford the bodywork to pull it off and don't posses the skills.I do like the red and it's uncommon on Dusters.I call it the black-eyed blonde after the old Chili Peppers song.To me a red car is like a blonde woman,pretty but attracts too much attention and apt to get you in trouble. Lol

Might have to rename it since I finally got some light argent buckets.

Do it how you want,if it doesn't reflect your personal taste what's the point?

-
Back