1973 duster 904 mount trouble

-

mopardart44067

Reaction score
Ok first my 73 duster 318/904 had blown out trans mount.well I'm trying to put new one in (old one was pushed out one side and rubber was about gone)somehow the engine_trans needs to go forward about 1/2.its turbo g out to be a nightmare.many say yeah 15min job.well it's my only car.all my tools are in storage like 10miles away.im currently stuck living in apt.no garage nowhere to work on it.i have a hand full of tools.1 small jack 1 small jackstand.anyone else have issues with trans mount?I have a migraine now so I'll answer any replies later or tommorrow.

Put the long center bolt through the mount first. Then line up the bolts going into the transmission tailshaft and install them. You can use a punch to help line up the holes. It may also help to loosen all 4 crossmember bolts to give it a little more wiggle.
Do not tighten anything until all bolts are in place.

Ah ok, bolt mount to tranny then raise crossmember up to it. Put the long bolt in and leave loose then set crossmember in place.

have you tried turning that cross member middle section around? Its easy enough to poke it back up there 180 degrees wrong which will throw that little lower center bolt hole about 1/2 inch. Just a guess

I didn't take cross member out I took 3 of 4 bolts out loosened 4th so I could pull it down to replace mount.installed new mount.bolted up crossmember.but can't get the center bolt in.

I didn't take cross member out I took 3 of 4 bolts out loosened 4th so I could pull it down to replace mount.installed new mount.bolted up crossmember.but can't get the center bolt in.
OK then. I don't think the mount itself has a offset. I haven't dealt with the late model trans mount or even the earlier type mount in a very long time. Just saying I have seen this misfit before. There's only 1 way to finger out if one piece or the other is backward.

I almost had it pulled in with c clamp.i took c clamp off went rite back

20170830_185303.jpg

It's b's because every problem I have is a rare one.and can never find anyone with sane problem.im almost ready to just sell the car and be done with mopar.and get into motorcycles or something.

Everywhere I go I defend mopars.its hard to defend a brand when the one you have is junk.the car is in better condition then any of the 30plus mopars I've had but has the mist problems.

What about trimm8ng up mount.and making mounting h9les elongated.bigger.?so mount will come back more and possibly work?It's about my only bet.ive tried everything

I've tried all that's mentioned with no luck.the cross member van only go in 9ne way.bevause the bracket for holding the mount is on 9nly one side.ive tried tak8ngvit apart.putting bolt in center and lifting it up tgat didnt work either.then I tried a really strong ratchet strap.no luck.then 8 tried a heavy duty c clamp.almost got it but not enough.

We all have our "wrong part" experiences we could share. We would rather forget those. Better luck to you.

Haha.the problem was the old one was so trashed.i put the clamp on new one and I was almost able to get the bolt in.and when I put new on wasn't bad.but had to buy a little bit smaller bolt for it.all was good after.

-
Back