1973 Duster trunk lid alignment

-

bmcentir

73 duster
Reaction score
I am trying to do a fine adjustment on the drivers side of the deck lid. It needs to go down about a 1/16” and I can’t seem to make a difference. I have clearance both hole almost the bolt width and it hasn’t made a difference. Any suggestions or tips on the proper way to adjust?

Take a picture of it closed for us. You may have a bent hinge due to it being slammed closed with something to tall in the trunk area. Easy to fix or replace.

I am trying to do a fine adjustment on the drivers side of the deck lid. It needs to go down about a 1/16” and I can’t seem to make a difference. I have clearance both hole almost the bolt width and it hasn’t made a difference. Any suggestions or tips on the proper way to adjust?

914D1958-C5BB-4E3D-B79D-7DC78AD4EED3.jpeg

61B4DACA-46D6-422F-96FF-68144CD3316F.jpeg

FFACB177-160B-45FF-A883-C8287A83F5D8.jpeg

Its very close but if I get the trunk lower by the glass it raises it by the bumper. Thought there might be a process to it I’am not doing.

Can you remove the left bumper on the lid and try adjusting it to where you want it. If the bumper is to tall it wont adjust properly.

Can you remove the left bumper on the lid and try adjusting it to where you want it. If the bumper is to tall it wont adjust properly.
I removed the bumper so that it isn’t keeping the lid up. Didn’t make a difference. The bumper is not touching the seat yet.

Is the left hinge binding or hitting something in the trunk? Can you get through the back seat and pull down on the hinge by hand while its closed?
Love that color! What color is it?

Is the left hinge binding or hitting something in the trunk? Can you get through the back seat and pull down on the hinge by hand while its closed?
Love that color! What color is it?
Nope on hitting anything. I can press on the deck lid and it will move down well below where it needs to be. Hinge is clear in the trunk.
The paint is Diamont RM code MA599.00

I wondering if the trunk seal I have is the problem? It is shaped like a d. Wondering if it’s to tall?

The gasket might be the problem. Can you maybe tape down the gasket with some shipping tape on just that side. I`d de-stick the tape a little by sticking it to your jeans a couple times, don`t want to pull any of that nice paint off! I believe the factory gasket was v-shaped, but i could be wrong.

You might also be able to take a heat gun and warm up the gasket on that side and quickly close the lid and see if it sits flat while its warm.

I received the new seal and installed it yesterday. It fits nicely and helped a little on the alignment. The trunk still sits just a tick high but hoping the seal will seat in just a tad over time so the trunk will fit perfect. It is definitely sitting a 1/16” lower that the other double d seal I had installed. I also found out that the d shaped seal should be installed on its side and not oriented straight up. Learning lesson I guess.

I received the new seal and installed it yesterday. It fits nicely and helped a little on the alignment. The trunk still sits just a tick high but hoping the seal will seat in just a tad over time so the trunk will fit perfect. It is definitely sitting a 1/16” lower that the other double d seal I had installed. I also found out that the d shaped seal should be installed on its side and not oriented straight up. Learning lesson I guess.
Thats good news!
How about tossing a few more pics of you car on for us to enjoy!

-
Back