1973 Duster

-
They are 120 lbs struts and yes I just removed the springs I figured the design is right just need to modernize it.

the hood does not lift itself but it does pop up a little at the bottom. and it will hold it's position anywhere through it's cycle. But most important it is quite.

and Yes they are 12-8" travel struts

I know it has been so Africa hot out lately and I have been waiting for my painter to get his shop together.

I am kinda stuck because I need the firewall painted to put the motor in, and work on the wiring, and lines and so on.

I finished my hood hinges and put the original ones back on with the modification to them and it works great, My trunk is done. I need to do the body work and just got some filler to try my luck at it so I will post something once I get it correct.

Now I am only doing the engine compartment So i guess I cannot mess it up to much.

I have a ton of parts, but need the paint done to continue.

One last issue, The color I am doing I cannot just paint the firewall with spray can black because it would not match what I have pictured in my head.

Maybe I need a new image? something a little simplier.

But thanks for checking up on me.

So nothing to report this week, I am currently working on the body filler for the firewall but with the heat the way it is here, it is a slow process. Hard to see when your eyes are burning from the sweat dripping down.

Hope to have more done next week and perhaps some pictures.
I have been waiting for my push button ignition to put another hole in my dash for some time.

I am looking forward to cooler weather.

I know remind me that I said this when it is freezing in the garage..

So nothing to report this week, I am currently working on the body filler for the firewall but with the heat the way it is here, it is a slow process. Hard to see when your eyes are burning from the sweat dripping down.

I think it is cooler in my attic than in the garage right now. The attic is better than the garage in the late afternoon - it has shade. It is only 94 right now... of course it is like midnight.

A nice looking build going....new school instead of my old school. If I ever get back to Dallas (work takes me on the road) I would like to come see this in person.

Just give me a shout on here and I am sure we could work it out.

Sorry no progress lately been way to hot and busy on other things sadly.

But I have been working on sucking the front bumper in an inch and now I think I may cut an inch of the end to make it look closer but still contemplating the decision.

Also I have the moving the wiper motor to the inside decision, I already cut my firewall once and do not want to cut it again. I was thinking of making cross supports that will hook up to the bars and then go to where the wiper motor used to go.

Decisions, decisions...

So I do not want people to think that I have sitting on my laurels so to speak doing nothing so here is an update of what has been going on with me and my Duster.
I live in Texas and have been waiting for a painter who lives in California to move out here for a while, but they are having issues to say the least, so I send my car to have the firewall painted so I can begin installing the motor and all the other fun things.
So a couple more weeks and I should get it back, and picture will be included.
in the mean time I have been playing around with my 09 Challenger I have bought a coil over kit and new sway bars and am currently putting in the rear part, The front is done and lowered about 2 inches.

I have a few more pictures to share with the class (LOL) but I am waiting for my Duster to come back and then hit you with everything.

One more thing,

I bought a new back glass for my duster so if someone needs one that is in good shape let me know..

Stay tuned for more...

I was told today that a company here in Texas is selling either 6.1 or 5.7 motors (not sure which as of this post) ready to go with the computers and all for under 9K. Seems like a good deal to me. If you want his number P.M. me. Btw these are mopar factory New crate motors.

Just in case anyone is looking for one.

Ok lets see update time.

My wife is on the computer and I cannot download my pictures, but tomorrow I will post new pic of my duster they are in the camera waiting for me as I type.

I am very happy at the stage I am at right now as you will see tomorrow so please check back .

I know I am teasing you with the car **** but it is good. I tried to get my wife off the computer, but she started talking about this and that so I left. But when she leave tomorrow it is on.

so think of this as a bump :blob:

Ok so I have done some things since last posted pics and now as promised here is the car ****

View attachment Oct07 014.jpg

removed the wiper motor from the peer pressure

everyone else doing it and making the car look so good.

View attachment Oct07 024.jpg

And now the good stuff

View attachment Oct07 028.jpg
View attachment Oct07 027.jpg

View attachment Oct07 037.jpg
View attachment Oct07 036.jpg
View attachment Oct07 034.jpg
View attachment Oct07 038.jpg

I still have a ways to go, but it is on the ground and motor is in for the last time.

Man does that look good, it make me sort of ashamed I'm not moving faster along.....I have two questions if you dont mind sharing info. What did you do to the cowl vent, it looks modified, and what are you doing with the steering column looks like Flaming river, Ididit or an aftermarket column in regards to the firewall hole, were thinking along the same lines for modifications but it looks like you've figured them out already while I'm still playing with my rear suspension. Again looks totally awesome.

Thanks I could not stop looking at it last night after the motor went in for the last time.

Not a problem you can ask me anything at all.
As for the cowl vents I removed them and then rolled a few beads in the metal to make it look like it was still there, but it is completely closed off.
Don't need it for my vintage air system.
As for the steering I am going with the flaming river tilt column with out the ignition system on it. I already have a Ididit push button start and have the steering wheel already
All I need is the bracket for the wiper motor inside and to install it and I can finish the dynamax in the front and install the A/C unit and wiring.

I need pics of installing the wiper motor inside when you get there I would like to do that as well

Rapid, yes it is in and not coming out anymore I even installed the torsion bars so it is locked in so to speak and the color of the engine bay is flat black. Yes that is the final color. That is going to be part of the final exterior color as well, but that is all I am saying about that. (sound like Forest Gump)

Ooh yea 03ram Blue missile has installed the wiper motor on his forum and has some good pics of it, but I will post mine when I get it together for you and the group.

Attachments

• duster 003.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 518
  • duster 005.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 512
  • duster 006.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 511
  • duster 011.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 517
Yeah it does. I am 60 miles away from my car during the week. And it's hard to visualize it. Especially since I never really looked at the wipers all that much.

Which wiper motor is that? I went and looked and couldn't find it. The flat black is a nice colour... Hard to keeping looking great though.

Riddler

Rapid, Yes I am still using the original K member. Had to do some fancy dancing on the A/C but it all fits with only few mods.

Riddler I have a company that has a way to fix flat black so it stays nice looking, plus I am doing something else to the car to make it pop.

But that is it no more hints, except that I have only seen this done to a very few amount of cars, but it looks good, now no more hints. LoL

all these texas boys doing big thing with there dusters man i am going to have to step up my game when I get home just gotta figure out ho to do that without stepping up the wallet.lol

-
Back