1974 904 transmission fluid height in pan?

-

LivewireBlanco

Reaction score
I'm trying to verify my dipstick is reading right. How high should the fluid be inside the pan in relation to the hole where the dipstick goes? Transmission is a 1974 904.

Higher than the tube hole. every time I have removed a tube without draining the fluid it runs out on the floor. I believe there is a overflow on top of the pump if it gets over filled and would run out the bell housing. But some tranny experts would be better at explaining it all than I.

Higher than the tube hole. every time I have removed a tube without draining the fluid it runs out on the floor. I believe there is a overflow on top of the pump if it gets over filled and would run out the bell housing. But some tranny experts would be better at explaining it all than I.
I have fluid leaking out from the bell housing but the dipstick says full in neutral.

Well you do have input shaft seal and pump seal up in there that could be the problem also.
I would hope not. "New" transmission with a rebuilt torque converter. It did take 13 quarts of fluid to get full and that's what makes me think the dipstick isn't right. It's from a slant 6 904 tranny.

Yikes!! That'll foam up and push out the vent; making it look like a front seal leak. Run it in neutral for a minute and pull the tube with it running. That'll get ya close. Then mark your stick wherever the fluid registers. Don't try to drive the car until the next day if it was foaming out the vent. Fluid is aerated.

-
Back