1974 Dart Police Sedan - A day in the life

-

7071DartGTReg

Deceased - RIP Bruce
Legendary Member
Reaction score
This will be the "Restification" Thread for my 1974 Dart Sedan. Per the previous owner this Dart was Owned by the City of Scottsdale, AZ and was used as a Detectives Unit car. It is not a Police car in any way as ordered by Scottsdale but was used as such its entire Public Service life. Needless to say as an Arizona car this car is RUST FREE! On the down side ALL the vinyl is toasted to a crisp.

The only Options of note are :
Radio Delete,
F16 = 34 Amp Alternator (Thanks 7demon2!),
S13 = Rallye HD Suspension,
S42 = Sway Bar - Front,
And in the Remarks block: 63 = Special Equipment Order.
It also has a 2nd Fender Tag under the regular Tag that says "Special Handling Car".
I am going to restore this car to it's original job in life as an Unmarked Detectives car.

The guy I bought her from in Louisiana had already rebuilt the Front End. He then broke the Damper Pulley trying to remove it to "Change a Belt"... go figure! He had sold the car on ebay and the winner backed out. He then emailed me to see if I still wanted her. I told him I had already bought a 1976 Dart Sedan to make a tribute Police Car with and did not really have the money for his 1974 now. He made me an offer I could not refuse and off to Louisiana I went to get her.

The Day she came home:
2008-03-22 74 Dart PD (4).jpg
2008-03-23 74 Dart PD (5).jpg
2008-03-23 74 Dart PD (6).jpg
2008-03-23 74 Dart PD (7).jpg
2008-04-05 74 and 76 Dart (1).jpg

There was a very nice surprise in the Back Seat Upper: A vintage correct Smith & Wesson Blue Dash Beacon Light! I have already bought all the Police Equipment (Spotlight, Radar Unit, Cage, Siren Head and 100w Speaker, 2 Way Police Radio) for her and now just need to find a set of Seat Covers for her. These are not as easy to find as you would think! They are basic plain vinyl and are not reproduced by any of the companies that you would think of.

Later,
Bruce B.

2008-03-22 74 Dart PD (4).jpg

2008-03-23 74 Dart PD (5).jpg

2008-03-23 74 Dart PD (6).jpg

2008-03-23 74 Dart PD (7).jpg

2008-04-05 74 and 76 Dart (1).jpg

F16 = 60? Amp Alternator....F16 = 34 Amp Alternator. very nice find. you will not see any, probably put back to original like that. should be very nice when finished. the light was a lucky find

I think that car is a very worthy restoration. It may not be worth what you put into it but the history of the car makes it worthwhile. Keep us posted on the progress. I've seen a few of these cars before, seems the only ones left are from CA and AZ. I've never seen a restored car, just survivors missing all the gear. Does your car have a certified speedo?

I just scraped a 74 Dart sedan too, it had a bunch of good trim parts left. Hopefully you didn't need these anyway.

Here are some pics of the Interior.
Please note the patterns on the Door Panels and Back Seat.
I am looking for a GOOD set of Door Panels and Seat Covers.
If you have them for sale please email me with your prices!

2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (2).jpg
2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (3).jpg
2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (4).jpg
2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (5).jpg
2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (7).jpg
2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (8).jpg
2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (9).jpg
2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (10).jpg

Later,
Bruce B.

2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (2).jpg

2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (3).jpg

2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (4).jpg

2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (5).jpg

2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (7).jpg

2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (8).jpg

2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (9).jpg

2008-09-07 74 Dart PD (10).jpg

Here are some pics of the Interior.
Please note the patterns on the Door Panels and Back Seat.
I am looking for a GOOD set of Door Panels and Seat Covers.
If you have them for sale please email me with your prices!

i don't see anything here???

There was one of those on ebay a few years ago. It was from the city of Everett, WA and it was for the school district. It had a police package along with a rear sway bar. Cool find!

Thanks guys!
You are quick on the draw! I now have the interior pics posted 7demon2.
No on the Certified Speedo. I was told that since it was not ordered as an "Official" Police Package it did not get one.
If ya got one let me know $$$!

Later,
Bruce B.

here are 2 links you need to see. first one is a link to help with parts....

http://yellowpages.news-star.com/Pursuit+Unlimited.262133.90501196.home.html

the second is a link to a guy on ebay that also might be of some help. (that is where the first link came from as well) you can contact the users names for more help....

http://discussions-neighborhoods.ebay.com/topic/Dodge-Discussions/Dodge-Dart-Police/1300022514
How funny? The second link you gave me is to.... well, ME on ebay!
Neat and thanks.
I already have obtained all the vintage correct Police equipment for her. The spotlights are still available from Unity in Chicago NOS for $169.00!

Later,
Bruce B.

How funny? The second link you gave me is to.... well, ME on ebay!
Neat and thanks.
I already have obtained all the vintage correct Police equipment for her. The spotlights are still available from Unity in Chicago NOS for $169.00!

Later,
Bruce B.

man lol!...... what are the odds for that to happen!

neat car i cant leave anything alone, i would pot police wheels on it and a 400 727 combo. 34 amp alternator, what are you going to power with that?

Bruce,
If you are unsuccessful in finding seat covers you might try SMS:
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/
I had them do an original headliner for our '67 Pontiac a couple years ago and they were super to deal with. They sent me a sample piece of original fabric that they had in stock - which was a perfect match. We got extra material to do the visors and sail panels. IIRC, the price was not "too bad".
C

I think i have door panels in green woodgrain(dark) and chrome foil stripes
and what is a certified speedo?

Hi Guys!
Thanks for all the replys!
The 34 amp Alternator was/will be to run the police equipment.
The BB is tempting but I am gonna keep this one stock I think.
As for the Seat Covers, I will have to wait on those for a while till economics pick up.
As for the Door Panels; I want to stay with the original style as pictured in Blue above.
Thanks Again!
Bruce B.

I think i have door panels in green woodgrain(dark) and chrome foil stripes
and what is a certified speedo?

Factories allow a certain percentage of error in the speedo readings of civilian cars. The police package cars had their speedos certified to within about 2% of the actual reading via radar. This was & still is a bone of contention in traffic Court when you merely pace someone speeding.

I have a old Unity Spot light that came off a Mopar Wagon Its for sale if ya need one. I dont know if it works or not but it came off a '68.

Let me know...

fun project !

-RPM

when I get back out to the junk yard there is a 75 dart with a fantastic interior. It may not be quite right but I will get pictures. I do know that the color is wrong but it may be worth it if you think you can dye it.

I have a old Unity Spot light that came off a Mopar Wagon Its for sale if ya need one. I dont know if it works or not but it came off a '68.

Let me know...

fun project !

-RPM
Thanks, but I bought a NOS one from Unity.
Later,
Bruce B.

Woo Hoo! It lives! Got her put back together today. Engine sounds great, but ran outta gas before I could take her on the street. Will gas her up tommorow and see how she drives. Still for sale $1500.00 OBO.

Later,
Bruce B.

-
Back