1974 Dart Special Edition rewiring question

-

Rhino_74Dart

Reaction score
Hey guys, wiring was shot, and my idiot self ripped the rest out before I got my new kit, AND I didn't take photos like a total noob. I am fully rewiring my 74 Dart, and have new fuse block bolted in place, and it says to follow original harness routing, but I don't know where the harness goes from the fuse block.

Anyone have some pics of fuse block area, and where the harness routes. I'm worried about interference with wiper arms, brake pedal, steering column, etc. It kind of looks like the harness is supposed to go straight to dash, right side of cluster opening, then towards drivers side of dash and down, can anyone help?!

Dash is now in, from the photo posted, and I'm about to have the front and rear windshields reinstalled, but need to get moving on this wiring.

385520199_890075675860794_4678898529013253025_n.jpg

Last edited:
That's a really tiny picture, hard to tell what's going on there.

Which harness are you installing?

For the most part, the bulk of wiring runs from the fuse block, along the side of the pedal support/steering column mount. Then it splits into 3 major parts, 1 part goes to the dash cluster and ignition, one (smaller) part goes along the passenger side of the dash along the bottom of the dashboard, the other larger part goes along the bottom of the drivers side of the dash and down the kick panel area. The pedal support/steering column mount has a harness loop on it, the dash has harness loops along the bottom edge of the dash panel, and the driver side kick panel also has harness clips.

That's a really tiny picture, hard to tell what's going on there.

Which harness are you installing?

For the most part, the bulk of wiring runs from the fuse block, along the side of the pedal support/steering column mount. Then it splits into 3 major parts, 1 part goes to the dash cluster and ignition, one (smaller) part goes along the passenger side of the dash along the bottom of the dashboard, the other larger part goes along the bottom of the drivers side of the dash and down the kick panel area. The pedal support/steering column mount has a harness loop on it, the dash has harness loops along the bottom edge of the dash panel, and the driver side kick panel also has harness clips.
Thanks, I'm installing an AAW kit, and you confirmed where I thought it was supposed to go, now to get this thing put back together, lol.

Thanks, I'm installing an AAW kit, and you confirmed where I thought it was supposed to go, now to get this thing put back together, lol.

Oh ok! I have an American Autowire harness in my ‘74 Duster. If there’s anything specific you need a picture of I can try and get one for you, once everything is in place and tucked up behind the dash it’s not the easiest thing to see.

Some years of the service manuals have photos/ diagrams of harness routing. Go download a few and "leaf" through them. MyMopar.com they are free. The closest you can get, free to a 74 is a 73. There is no free 74 I'm aware of except the one I have. IF YOU SEND ME a PM/ Conversation, I'll tell you what the deal is.

Oh ok! I have an American Autowire harness in my ‘74 Duster. If there’s anything specific you need a picture of I can try and get one for you, once everything is in place and tucked up behind the dash it’s not the easiest thing to see.
Curious where you ran the ignition and turn signal harnesses, under/through the column bracket, or straight up under dash? Was your car factory A/C? If so, how did you wire it up, my AAW harness is not setup for factory A/C cars, and the blower resistor has more connections than the AAW harness, so I get to figure out if I can make it work, I have most of the factory harness available to cut up and splice in.

Up through the bottom of the column and through the column bracket underneath the little plastic harness channel. Then up to the dash and over the parking brake over to the harness clip above the left kick panel.

Sorry, my car wasn’t a factory AC car and I don’t have aftermarket AC on it either. I just used one of the pigtails in the AAW kit to hook up the heater box and blower motor.

I'm missing the female end (white connector/harness) for the 74 seatbelt interlock. I'm trying to get my car running and am thinking that portion has the wiring/connectors to hook up the coil, voltage regulator, alternator and there seems to be a couple other items as well.
The 74 wiring diagram as you know does not cover this so the get a service manual reply may not be valid. I can tap into the existing male end/harness and get it done,but have questions about the rest of it.

20231122_105456.jpg

Look in the 74 factory service manual on page 8-174.
Then see diagram CE 37.

I may not have mentioned that I don't have a service manual. Of course I sholuld have one, but in lieu of that I rely on common knowledge, Google or the kindness of strangers and when all else fails, YouTube.
Sometimes I make assumptions and thru trial and error I'll find a solution. With that in mind, I'm thinking the 3 wires on the right are for the ignition wiring and the 10/12 black wire goes to the alternator? The tan and violet wires on the left??
The interior harness for the seats is present but disconnected which leaves the interlock reset button though missing, the connector is still present. I've read that jumping the yellow wires
or disconnecting the seats and the problem is solved?
Look in the 74 factory service manual on page 8-174.
Then see diagram CE 37.

20231123_123055.jpg

Tan or gray wire goes to oil pressure sending unit.
Violet wire goes to temperature sending unit.

I may not have mentioned that I don't have a service manual. Of course I sholuld have one, but in lieu of that I rely on common knowledge, Google or the kindness of strangers and when all else fails, YouTube.
Sometimes I make assumptions and thru trial and error I'll find a solution. With that in mind, I'm thinking the 3 wires on the right are for the ignition wiring and the 10/12 black wire goes to the alternator? The tan and violet wires on the left??
The interior harness for the seats is present but disconnected which leaves the interlock reset button though missing, the connector is still present. I've read that jumping the yellow wires
or disconnecting the seats and the problem is solved?

View attachment 1716170084

Your best bet by far is to send @67Dart273 a message. As already mentioned none of the free downloadable manuals from mymopar cover the ‘74 interlock. And even if they did it’s better to bypass it anyway. It’s a mostly 1 year only thing that the factory got rid of because it was a colossal PITA, and Del (67dart273) can give you the details on bypassing it completely.

16kx4d2-jpg.jpg

In the above photo, permanently splice the yellow / yellow striped wires together. This is the start wire on the road from the ignition switch to the start relay. The interlock, when it pops, opens a pair of contacts to lock out the starter

I see, but I don't have that "can" though. Is that needed to make it run?

He is using the AAW kit inside the car. There should be a green or blue plastic interlock module under the dash on the original harness. If he is not using that module, then the interlock system would be disabled.

I see, but I don't have that "can" though. Is that needed to make it run?
I don't believe you'll need that relay once you connect the yellow/yellow striped wires together, it will bypass the interlock allowing car to start, your seatbelt just won't disable the starting of the car after bypassing it.

Where did you mount the megafuses in your 74 Duster? I am neck deep in an AAW rewire of my 74 Dart Special Edition, and am about ready to install the megas. I haven't decided between near battery, or near alternator on opposite side of engine bay. I also appreciate the alternator info you gave, as I still need a 1 wire alt. for this thing. I'm also still trying to figure out how to incorporate my factory A/C with this kit as it does not support factory A/C.

Also, someone appears to have installed a Pertronix style electronic ignition in distributor, and with this AAW kit, do I still need the orange ECU box mounted to driver inner fender? I haven't seen it mentioned in AAW instructions.

Where did you mount the megafuses in your 74 Duster? I am neck deep in an AAW rewire of my 74 Dart Special Edition, and am about ready to install the megas. I haven't decided between near battery, or near alternator on opposite side of engine bay. I also appreciate the alternator info you gave, as I still need a 1 wire alt. for this thing. I'm also still trying to figure out how to incorporate my factory A/C with this kit as it does not support factory A/C.

Also, someone appears to have installed a Pertronix style electronic ignition in distributor, and with this AAW kit, do I still need the orange ECU box mounted to driver inner fender? I haven't seen it mentioned in AAW instructions.

Mine are on the inner fender apron near the fender tag. I put them there because I also have a relay box near there (farther forward) for my electric fans and crackedback headlight relays.

Mine are on the inner fender apron near the fender tag. I put them there because I also have a relay box near there (farther forward) for my electric fans and crackedback headlight relays.
Awesome, thanks. And since someone put an electronic ignition in distributor, do I still need the orange ECU box, or can it be eliminated?

Awesome, thanks. And since someone put an electronic ignition in distributor, do I still need the orange ECU box, or can it be eliminated?

If you’re not running a Mopar electronic distributor then you won’t need the orange box. But you might need something else, depending on the conversion you’re running

If you’re not running a Mopar electronic distributor then you won’t need the orange box. But you might need something else, depending on the conversion you’re running
This is all I know, was installed before I got car.

1 other question, did you run the power wire from alternator back to firewall, across, then up to megafuse, or did you run forward, along radiator support, and back to mega?

418692330_1219491815695420_2524317436339104117_n.jpg

418675544_1156250282200213_2575287952777653511_n.jpg

This is all I know, was installed before I got car.

1 other question, did you run the power wire from alternator back to firewall, across, then up to megafuse, or did you run forward, along radiator support, and back to mega?

View attachment 1716219840

View attachment 1716219841

That’s a Mopar electronic distributor, you’ll need the orange box.

I ran my charge wire back to the firewall and across.

-
Back