1974 Dodge Colt????

-
Now I can't stop thinking about how cool and fun it would be to cram a 360 in a Colt.

Bone stock dented, rusty, primer spots, nasty Colt with this sticking out of the hood :snakeman:

100_1117.jpg

Damn it I have too many projects as it is right now, how do I get these evil thoughts out of my head?

It would be pretty cool uh!? I was thinking the same thing. Problem is all you West Coast guys don't have any problems finding cool cars over there. Here on the East Coast there are rare (at least in Jersey) and if you find one either they was a **** load of money for it or it rusted WAAAAAAAAY beyond repair.

Now I can't stop thinking about how cool and fun it would be to cram a 360 in a Colt.

Bone stock dented, rusty, primer spots, nasty Colt with this sticking out of the hood :snakeman:

100_1117.jpg

Damn it I have too many projects as it is right now, how do I get these evil thoughts out of my head?

That would be wicked!

I had the Plymouth version, It was a '74 "Cricket", I have a pic (polaroid) of it somewhere.

I remember scrapping an old Cricket at the garage I worked for back in the mid '80's. 4 cylinder with a 4-speed. Typical 70's heavy metalflake paint job. Also had a huge hoodscoop on it. Too bad the body was too far rusted to save.

In this small town there was a guy with a white Arrow. Dual carb tunnelram 340/4-speed. The only sticky tires back then were ProTracs. Didn't prevent that car from being crossed up sideways whenever the owner would nail it from a light. I was 17 at that time and it left quite the impression in my twisted lil' mind.

These were some of the factory's last ProStocks. Don Hardy Racecars in Tx. built a few P/S & surprisingly they had a realtively stock frontend. They WERE very ill-handling cars & NHRA made them lengthen the wheelbase on them in an effort to control handling issues. Many of the P/S Colts ran 366 or 396 Hemis (destroked 426s) in them but "match racing" int he 70s -- anything was "good". When NHRA started to add resrtictions on them many moved to Comp. Elim. & ran as C/As or faster. I think the S&M Colt is still around. I had the privilege of seeing some of these at Englishtown back in the day & although they ARE cool, I'd really think twice about running a big inch motor in one. A friend has a big wedge in one for S/G and when it goes straight it's definitely impressive.......

The Dodge Colt was made in Japan by Mitsubishi.
The Plymouth Cricket was a Hillman Avenger made in England.
Totally different cars.

Hey HemiCop, that would be my Colt. If I turn it loose, it will run 8.40's @ over 160.

What a scream. Why WOULDN"T anyone buy it....unless it was 2000 miles away

That "teen" fits in there quite nicely! Go for it. toolman

I'll pass on the altered, John. I'm putting another front engine dragster together for the wife.

Check this out! A 1974 Dodge Colt. Anyone have any info on these cars? I never heard or seen them before unitil the late 80's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mits...003QQitemZ130229648881QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

100_1117.jpg

IMG_0311.jpeg

My 74 colt 440

The "Dodge Colt" was made by Misubishi for Mopar as an answer to the Vega & Pinto. From a drag racing POV, they were frequently used in P/S and/or the Altered classes with a de-stroked (396 or 366) Hemi. IIRC Mopar built 8 "team cars" built by, I think, Don Hardy Race cars in Texas that went to various factory racers and were swapped around them, so there appeared to be more than they really were. They were nooriously ill-handling and Don Carlton was killed in one. With their poor handling & so many deaths or injuries NHRA increased the minimum WB to 92 or 94 inches in an effort to help alleviate the issue. By then however Mopar was ending its P/S program and the cars got sold, traded or loaned to various racers. Currently there are about 4 or 5 of the cars left & are basically museum pieces.
As an aside to all this I've been looking for one to trade my clone S/S Dart for one, factory car or not.

-
Back